Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Tobacco Cards--Need advice--Grade or not? Scans UP!!!

I purchased 20 to 30 tobacco cards several years ago (1988 or so). Just found them in a drawer. Attached are scans of the front and backs of some of the cards. I am looking for advice.

All of the fronts of the cards are "creasefree" and present nicely. The backs have ISSUES!! First, what set are these cards from? Second, should I have them graded by PSA? With the back damage, will PSA assign a grade or simply state "authentic?" Is it financially beneficial to grade them? I plan on selling all the cards. Third, and finally, should I send the cards to a "card restorer" who can, perhaps, help with the backs of these cards? I do not want to commit a fraud on anyone who would later purchase the card. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

P.S. I tried to attach files but in the middle of the download, error message popped up saying I was over the "size limit?" I even need help on how to download to this forum!! I really am pathetic!!

mshups

Comments

• Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    Hi Matt. Upload the pictures to photobucket.com first. Then you can post them here with no problem.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    The best thing to do is upload your images to an image hosting site like photobucket.com. It's free to join. Once you upload the photo(s) to the image hosting site, you can then copy the IMG code for the photo from the image hosting site and paste it into your "message text" window here for folks to see.

Editted to say: Oops, didn't see the previous post with the same advice.
  • Options
    Thank you for the info on how to post scans!! Very much appreciated.

Matt
    mshups

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are very nice cards, if real (I see no immediate reason to think they're otherwise).

First off, whatever you do, DO NOT have them "restored", or otherwise tampered with. To do so is to substantially decrease their value, even given the back damage.

Secondly, I would post your question, with the scans of the cards, at http://www.net54baseball.com/, in the Vintage Baseball Card Forum. That's where the majority of pre-World War One collectors congregate. There is a wealth of knowledge over there to help.

Now, best I can tell, your cards are as follows:

The cards with "This card is one of a set of the following 30 ball players" are from the E-98 caramel set issued in 1910.

The cards with "This card is one of a set of 50 Base Ball Players" are from the E-101 caramel set issued in 1910.

All the cards should be sent in for grading, especially the Wagner and Cobb. Those cards are each worth well over $1,000. Either PSA or SGC would be good. As for grades: As long as the cards are determined to be unaltered (i.e., untrimmed, no color added or restored, etc...), they should get a numerical grade. With the back damage evident, each card would be graded no better than PSA 2/SGC 30).

Good Luck!! image

Steve
  • Options
    Yes, get them graded. This gives the buyers a reference to consider for making a bid. I looked up sales on a website devoted to auction sales of cards (Vintage card Prices) and there are very few sales of these two series. Here's info on the Cobb - an SGC 30 (equivalent to PSA 2) card sold at auction on 10/2008 for $2415. The same card sold on Ebay on 11/2009 for $1555. NOt sure if prices are down universally or if selling on ebay was the problem, but the Cobb card is going to fetch 1500 to 2000+ depending on the buyer.

The other cards are much cheaper; Get them graded and you'll have a reference point for assessing value. Good luck.
    1964 stand ups
    1975 mini's
    1954 Wilson Franks
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    If I were selling these cards, I would consign them to a sports card/memorabilia auction house for sale.

There are several good options for auction houses.

If you are consigning them, let the auction house submit them for grading.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    i would grade them, those are some nice cards must be some drawer you have there
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    Very cool.
  • Options
    Great Cards. If they were mine, I would get them graded. I have never consigned before, but that would be worth checking into as the auction house has the most experience and usually gets top dollar compared to ebay which is hit and miss. I agree with the other posters though about grades, I think PSA 1 and 2 are likely (more 1s than 2s). I don't think there is a chance that you could see a PSA 3. The cards have terrific eye appeal and bidders will bid on the higher end of the assigned grade, maybe bid to a PSA 2-3 value even though it sits in PSA1-2 respectively.

My experience is based on T206, so I am not as experienced in caramel sets.
  • Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    I don't know much about these, but the Meyers and Chase look much shorter than the Bresnahan. I would check to see if these particular card types are known to have variable lengths. I had a friend who acquired about 250 T206's from his father who in turn acquired them from his father. Some had been trimmed by my friend's grandfather decades ago, presumably to make them look better and/or fit into an album. My friend was still able to sell the trimmed ones for a good price, but not nearly what he would have gotten for them had they not been trimmed. Just something to keep in mind.
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    None of them are Tobacco cards, they are all "E" Candy Cards and yes get them graded you have a couple thousand in value there even with scrapbook damage.

The checklist back cards are E98's, and the others are E101's
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely get them graded. Even in low grade those cards have value.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Thank you for all of your help. I will be sending in the cards for grading. I guess I will use the "Express " service based on the perceived values of the cards. I will post the results, with scans, once I receive the cards back from PSA. Again, my sincere thanks to all.

Matt
    mshups

• Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Are you a member of PSA already? If not, I would send them to SGC. I would send them to SGC, regardless, but that's me.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I would sell them to me. image You have a very nice collection of cards that will grade out 1 or 2 with either of the companies. I am not sure if all of them have back damage or if just the ones that you have scanned. You definately have $2k worth of stuff there. Not sure how much the grading is going to cost you, so you might want to take that into consideration if you plan on selling them. If you can get $2K from a collector ungraded vs. $2400 graded but the cost for grading is $600. You might be better off selling them raw.
    One collector gave you advice to consign them to an auction house. Not a bad idea if you could not find a buyer for these beauties however I think you can probably sell these by tonight if you wanted.

Regards,
    Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    ndwsndws Posts: 132 ✭✭
    Great find! I second/third/fourth/etc everyone else and say to get them graded. I know it sounds tempting, but please do not restore the cards. They're really no better than a reprint at that point.

If you consign them, be sure to get exactly what you are told on the phone in writing (catalog position, exposure, house cut, etc..). I had a bad experience with a bait/switch from one of the large "houses" as a seller.

But regardless, those are great cards.
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Yes have them graded you should do well with them. Plus graded would sell fast if you wanted too. sell.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I would recommend consigning them to an auction house. They are beautiful cards and clearly authentic. However, technical grades of 1 or 2 because of back damage will not add any significant value to the cards. Very beautiful find -- and I'm sure a huge increase in value from when you purchased them 20 years ago.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.