Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

variety sets and costs of getting them slabbed

There seems to be quite a few more variety sets in the registry forum

Some of these varieties are worth less than the cost of slabbing (same as many coins I guess)

Will that delay competition in those sets?

Comments

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe it will.
    Or, it will push folks to only send in higher grade examples for grading.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $40 (not including shipping) is still a lot for an MS 66 coin. It has definitely taken the wind out of my collecting sails.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob, I usually send in 5 coins at a time for variety attribution and grading. (all I want to make out a check for) So... 18 for grading, 24 for attribution, 1.60 for handling, 4.40 for return shipping gets you 48 dollars for EACH coin. image I find myself only sending in higher graded coins. Shag
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. I most certainly will.

I prefer to get the vatiety authenticated by James Wiles before sending PCGS my $24 so it adds another $4 per coin. BUT, Id rather throw the $4 away than the $24 should I incorrectly attribute one of these suckers.

What I would prefer, is a flat rate for variety attribution instead of grading at $14, $18, or $30 PLUS $24 Variety Attribution. It gets very expensive, very quickly with a NET result of fewer submissions.

As for value on attribution vs grading fee's: Its all a registry thing and nothing more and if you sdon;t believe me, try selling a 1963 MS64 Type B Washington for $42.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!