Home Precious Metals
Options

Couple gold questions...

bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭
Apmex is selling a 1gr holiday bar for $43. However, 1gr bars go up to $53. A gold bar is a gold bar, right? I.E. get the cheaper one? And how BIG is 1gr? The size of a pill?
Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 1 gram bar is very small. There are 31 grams to an ounce. By way of comparison, a silver dime weighs 2.5 grams--and gold is more dense than silver. So considerably less than 1/2 the size of a silver dime.

The bars on sale on Apmex's site are their own brand. Perfectly fine if that's what you want. The more expensive bars are Pamp, and they come in a sealed plastic assay card about the size of a credit card. There is a premium when you buy, and probably a premium when you sell.

Keep in mind that with gold at $1161 as I type, a 1-gram bar is only "worth" $37.45. In other words, even with the Apmex brand bar you're paying about $170 an ounce over spot for the smaller bars. Check my math, I'm doing all of this in my head.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭
    That sounds about right for the price per oz. Just looking to expand beyond silver but it's not in the cards yet. Maybe I can blackmail Santa.... But thanks with the size question. I had no clue.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    <<... There are 31 grams to an ounce....>>

1 ounce [troy] = 31.1034768 gram

<<Keep in mind that with gold at $1161 as I type, a 1-gram bar is only "worth" $37.45.>>

$37.34

The egghead number cruncher in me likes to be exact.