Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

thenavarro's 1988 Notre Dame FB autographed card set added leprechaun and cheerleaders ;)

2»

Comments

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    It's been awhile, but I'm still working on this. 44 down and 15 more to go. With the help of one of my friends, I added this one:

Dean Brown

These are the ones I still need:

Andre Jones
    Arnold Ale
    Bryan Flannery
    Chris Zorich
    D'Juan Francisco
    George Streeter
    George Williams
    Michael Crounse
    Mike Brennan
    Pat Eilers
    Pat Terrell
    Raghib "Rocket" Ismail
    Steve Roddy
    Todd Lyght
    Winston Sandri

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    Everytime that I think the returns have stopped, I get another one. I got a nice note from Steve back in March, you can see it above. I went ahead and sent him a couple more cards so he could keep the other ones for him and his family. Steve signed these two for me and wrote me a nice letter again as well. Class act. He's embarking on a new career as well so I wish him the best. I now have 45. Only 14 more to go (and two of those I haven't even sent to yet).

One of these days, I'll get industrious and resend to the guys that haven't returned yet.

Steve Roddy

and these are the ones I still need:

Andre Jones
    Arnold Ale
    Bryan Flannery
    Chris Zorich
    D'Juan Francisco
    George Streeter
    George Williams
    Michael Crounse
    Mike Brennan
    Pat Eilers
    Pat Terrell
    Raghib "Rocket" Ismail
    Todd Lyght
    Winston Sandri
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WTG Mike .. it's always nice to receive a TTM that has been out there for a while!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Got another one back today. Bryan kept one of the two cards that I sent him, but sent this one back autographed.

Bryan Flannery

My wantlist continues to shrink. These are the ones I still need.

Andre Jones
    Arnold Ale
    Chris Zorich
    D'Juan Francisco
    George Streeter
    George Williams
    Michael Crounse
    Mike Brennan
    Pat Eilers
    Pat Terrell
    Raghib "Rocket" Ismail
    Todd Lyght
    Winston Sandri
  • Options
    Got another one.

Mike Brennan

Down to only a dozen more. Not too shabby so far for collecting graphs from college athletes 22 years later.
  • Options
    I already had an Alm, but Doug offered this one over on the BST at a decent price, and since he's pictured in his Notre Dame uniform, I went ahead and bought it. Once I get done, I'm considering getting a massive frame job to display them all around a large picture of the SI Cover from that year, so it will be nice to have them all in ND uniforms.

Jeff Alm 1990 Score rookie PSA/DNA

• Options
    One of my friends got this one signed for me a couple weeks ago at a tailgater at the Notre Dame game. This is a great addition as Pat Terrell was instrumental in the "Catholics vs. Convicts" game that year that helped sling shot the Irish to the title. Pat intercepted Steve Walsh and returned it for a TD and during the waning seconds, he batted away an attempted two point conversion that would have won the game for Miami. Terrell went on to a relatively lengthy NFL career from 1990-1998 I believe.

Pat Terrell

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    great set mike

i fondly remember that miami game, good times
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    I picked this up to be the centerpiece of my frame job. All of the cards will be matted around this piece. It's a large photo of the Sports Illustrated cover where ND beat USC in 1988. It's Steiner authenticated and has been autographed by Lou Holtz, Tony Rice, Chris Zorich, Michael Stonebreaker, and Raghib "Rocket" Ismail.

• Options
    A nice one year anniversary (almost) of the start of the project addition. Only 10 more to go, 49 down.

This guy was electrifying every time he would touch the ball. An absolutely great college football player.

Me and the Rocket

Rocket Ismail

• Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Great autographs of the Rocket. I'll never forget the 1991 Orange Bowl against Colorado when he returned the punt 90+ yards for the go ahead touchdown with less than 2 minutes to go in the game - and it was called back because of a b.s. clipping penalty. I could have literally cried...

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options

<< <i>Great autographs of the Rocket. I'll never forget the 1991 Orange Bowl against Colorado when he returned the punt 90+ yards for the go ahead touchdown with less than 2 minutes to go in the game - and it was called back because of a b.s. clipping penalty. I could have literally cried...

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

i remember running around screaming that that was not a clip!!!!!!!

i am now depressed

nice auto though
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

• Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Great autographs of the Rocket. I'll never forget the 1991 Orange Bowl against Colorado when he returned the punt 90+ yards for the go ahead touchdown with less than 2 minutes to go in the game - and it was called back because of a b.s. clipping penalty. I could have literally cried...

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

i remember running around screaming that that was not a clip!!!!!!!

i am now depressed

nice auto though >>

I didn't mean to bring the mood down image
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    i live about 30 minutes from where he played high school, he was in our district and our school ran against him in track boy was he fast, he was a rocket.

so i wanted to see the local kid make good and that game, he won on his with that return and to this day i say it it was a horrible call and not a clip!!!

i react the same way when someone mentions jeffery meier. missed opportunities in my cheering career

here's to a ND win over Miami and a bowl win
    Fred

• Options
    They are still coming in image Got this one back today after a year.

Michael Crounse

Just need 9 more, the end is in sight

Andre Jones
    Arnold Ale
    Chris Zorich
    D'Juan Francisco
    George Streeter
    George Williams
    Pat Eilers
    Todd Lyght
    Winston Sandri

• Options
    It's been awhile, but knocked another one off of my list. This guy was one of the hardest hitters in college football during his career at Notre Dame. Like many of the 1988 team, he also played in the NFL.

1988 Notre Dame Todd Lyght

Only 8 more to go!!! I still need to send a 2nd round to the guys below, but I've been too lazy to do that image As long as they stay alive, I'll get 'em eventually. I need to send pics of my signed set when I write them and maybe that would help. Worst case scenario, I'll have mutual friends get them, but I really want to do it myself.

Andre Jones
    Arnold Ale
    Chris Zorich
    D'Juan Francisco
    George Streeter
    George Williams
    Pat Eilers
    Winston Sandri
  • Options
    Got some sad news today. Another former member of the 1988 National Championship team passed away earlier this week. Andre Jones died of a brain aneurysm. He has a son that currently plays for the Irish.

RIP Andre. I will remember his smile around campus and the fact that he ALWAYS wore this long black leather jacket around, didn't matter what the temperature was out.

As far as my signed collection goes, unfortunately, I didn't have him yet, so that takes me down to only 7 more that I can get, unless I happen to stumble across a Jones and Alm already signed. I do think I have a Andre Jones signed cut on a Cotton Bowl program, I'll have to dig it out of storage now and make me a custom cut of his card.

Mike
  • Options
    Still trucking along, this guy was one of the primary reasons that ND won the National Championship that year. He's still a huge guy. One of my friends got this signed for me at a game earlier this season.

Only a few more to go:

Arnold Ale
    D'Juan Francisco
    George Streeter
    George Williams
    Pat Eilers
    Winston Sandri

• Options
    Heard some sad news today. Another team member passed away. Dean Brown. Died at the age of 44. RIP Dean
  • Options
    Hey Mike,

Are you going to the National Title game?
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Mike,

Are you going to the National Title game? >>

I'm going to Miami to hang out with my old roommate and to take in the festivities, and hopefully the game too. Haven't decided yet on whether or not to pony up the $$$$ for a game ticket. Plan right now is to hang out tailgating in the parking lot and to try and get tickets very shortly after the game starts and the scalpers start being more reasonable.

Irregardless, I'm sure we will have a blast even if we only get to see it in the parking lot tailgating with all the goodies and camaraderie of a ton of fellow Irish fans

Mike
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    So sad to hear how many guys have died from that team.

WOW, I did not see that pic of Zorich you posted. Dude is still HUGE!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    rip

sad news

did you ever finish this set?
    Fred

• Options

<< <i>rip

sad news

did you ever finish this set? >>

nope not yet. Still need

Arnold Ale
    D'Juan Francisco
    George Streeter
    George Williams
    Pat Eilers
    Winston Sandri

I've probably got most of thes guys home and business addresses and phone numbers in my alumni directory, but other then sending one initial mailing to their home address that may or may not have gotten there, I haven't tried again. I ought to just call em up one night at home and see if they'd mind signing one for me, but I personally despise getting junk calls and haven't wanted to intrude on their privacy to that degree.

I'll take those cards with me to Miami and maybe some of them show up at some of the official functions

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>rip

sad news

did you ever finish this set? >>

nope not yet. Still need

Arnold Ale
    D'Juan Francisco
    George Streeter
    George Williams
    Pat Eilers
    Winston Sandri

I've probably got most of thes guys home and business addresses and phone numbers in my alumni directory, but other then sending one initial mailing to their home address that may or may not have gotten there, I haven't tried again. I ought to just call em up one night at home and see if they'd mind signing one for me, but I personally despise getting junk calls and haven't wanted to intrude on their privacy to that degree.

I'll take those cards with me to Miami and maybe some of them show up at some of the official functions

Mike >>

Eilers was a MN guy and I see he's not around here any longer. I would hope that with those few left, if you did reach out to them and explain why you're contacting them, how far you've come for progress and how long you've been doing it, they could be willing to help.
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Hey Mike,

Are you going to the National Title game? >>

I'm going to Miami to hang out with my old roommate and to take in the festivities, and hopefully the game too. Haven't decided yet on whether or not to pony up the $$$$ for a game ticket. Plan right now is to hang out tailgating in the parking lot and to try and get tickets very shortly after the game starts and the scalpers start being more reasonable.

Irregardless, I'm sure we will have a blast even if we only get to see it in the parking lot tailgating with all the goodies and camaraderie of a ton of fellow Irish fans

Mike >>

Mike, either way, have a great time. Don't think ND has much of a chance against Alabama, but that's why they play the game. Not sure which I would rather not see: Saban's high beams or that annoying leprechaun.

• Options
    First football game I ever attended was a promise from my pops who grew up in an IRISH family. He told me if they get to the game he would buy tix. They did and I went to the 1989 Fiesta Bowl, ND vs WVA. Tony rice vs Major Harris. What an amazing first game. Been a fan my whole life and look forward to another National Championship. Manti for Heisman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    I remember the last National Championship and hopefully get to watch one this season.
  • Options
    I'm down to just needing a handful of cards to complete my set but wanted to share a neat piece I added as a souvenir to my 1988 ND Collection. Had this made by an ebay seller. I had a cheaper replica done a while back that looked like crap but this one is pretty tight!

• Options
    very nice addition...

go Irish!!! signing day Wednesday here's to picking up those late 5 stars!!!
    Fred

• Options
    Added the Leprechaun and the cheerleaders from that year. image (Yes, I've got a problem LOL)

• Options
    yeah you may have a problem... but its a nice piece to add to the '88 team autos

what's next?
    Fred

• Options

Another team member passed away. RIP Braxston Banks.

• Options

another sad day.

we need some good news, losing too many players early

Go Irish!

Fred