Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin microscopes for photographing coins

Does anyone have any experience with these. I have noticed a few for sale on ebay, and was wondering if anyone has gotten any worthwhile results.

Thanks
Eric
Eric

Comments

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do a search on dino-lites here on the forum.
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eric,
    I too wondered the value of these scopes. So, bought a cheap QX5 off ebay and
    have been amazed as to what I can see with it. Oh, it's not expensive (I paid about
    $80) and I'm sure there are better but I like it just fine.
    here are two pics, a dollar and a half.
    bob
    ex hearing doc, just retired.
    imageimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Eric, long learning curve. . . as with macro coin photography, lighting may be more important than your optical machine.

Do much research, look up the major sellers of microscopes on ebay and phone them to ask questions.

Most of us graduate eventually to zoom 'scopes, then to tri-heads, and so on and so on.

Start somewhere, keep all the packaging and you can always trade up, re-selling on fee-bay. Rob
    Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

Questions about Ikes? Go to The IKE GROUP WEB SITE
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    To me, Dinolites are great, but it really depends on what you want to take pictures of. I like to take shots of very close-up items, using the Dinolite like this...

But, it's alot harder to use this camera on larger surfaces due to the lack of a depth of field and lighting issues.

My primary registry set has photos using the Dinolite... some were increadibly hard to even get close to the accurate look of the coin due to the depth of field issues and lighting. You can see those images HERE.

Good luck in your quest.

Steve

U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just one more tool for what we do. They all work good this one is next on my list dino-lite.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I just use my microscope with my digital camera. Take a look at my set for more images.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file