Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Players Master Set question adding cards for the year after the player retires?

I just got this email from Gayle.

<< <i>We received your requests for the cards below for the Frank Thomas master set.
However, Frank Thomas’ play years ended in 2008. We can add these cards as long
as they list his 2008 stats. >>

The cards in question are
2009 TOPPS ALLEN & GINTER HIGHLIGHT SKETCHES 9 FRANK THOMAS
2009 UPPER DECK A PIECE OF HISTORY TIMELESS MOMENTS TM-FT FRANK THOMAS
2009 UPPER DECK A PIECE OF HISTORY TIMELESS MOMENTS TM-FT FRANK THOMAS BLACK

I these (3) cards don't have any 2008 stats on them they have 2007 stats on them I thought
that all cards of a player the year after the player retires were aloud. Is this rule about stats
card listed somewere? If this is the way it is I will have to ask each dealer I am going to bid on
Ebay if the card I am bidding on has stats on it.

Also Thomas has not retired yet that I know of so what if he doesn't play one year and comes back and
plays the next year like Sosa did do the cards that didn't have stats then count? To me all the cards of a player
the year after they retire should count too, that's just me why allow one but not another from the same year seems
dumb.

What do you guys think?

James

Comments

• Options
    James,

I am definitely with you on that one. I truly believe that ALL the cards from the year after a player retires should be included in a Master set no matter what they say or depict on the back. If not, then how about allowing insert cards if they are part of a set in which the base card is allowed the year after the player retired because the card company did acknowledge the player in his/her last year in its base issue but then the insert card might have focused on some other aspect of the player's career rather than repeating the same statistics or write up.

John
    Lawrence Taylor #1 Basic/Master
    1993 Pro Set Power All-Power-Defense Gold #1
  • Options
    bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭
    John,
    I agree with you I didn't even think about the inserts cards for that year it will suck if they don't accept
    those becase there is no stats on them.
    Anybody here have cards that were aloud to be added to a player master that didn't have stats of the
    retierd player on it for cards the year after they retired?

James