Home Sports Talk
Options

TBS Fires Chip Caray

markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
I do not wish the man ill, but it was unbearable to try to watch a game he was working. IMHO, he was the worst broadcaster I have ever heard, with the possible exception of John Sterling.

Comments

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, but then I've never been able to stand any of the Careys! image

He's just a "Chip" off the old blockheads! image

Steve
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, Skip Caray (his father) was much worse IMO. Incredibly painful and sarcastic on radio Sports talk show.

At least Harry tried to sing "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" to entertain the Cub faithful.
  • Options

<< <i>Actually, Skip Caray (his father) was much worse IMO. Incredibly painful and sarcastic on radio Sports talk show. >>

Yup...

He's the sole reason I could never watch the Braves on TBS during the 1990s. I blame him for me not having been able to enjoy Maddux', Glavine's and Smoltz' pitching image

Steve
  • Options
    SD...

The only time I can bear to watch the Braves is when the Red Sox come to town. I've lived in Atlanta since 1987, just can't warm up to the team. I was there though, the night they won their Division (way back when) and Chief-Nok-A-Homa went crazy as did the fans. Recently, it's a Bobby Cox thing and I just got dizzy trying to watch Mazzone rocking in the dugout. The Hanoi Jane era pretty much nailed it for me. I care not to visit the Ted, boring team, boring players, coupled with the perennially injured 3rd baseman known as Chipper. The fans doing the "tomahawk chop" are about as silly as the monkey thing with the LAA.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Chip should find a different career to pursue. However, Skip will forever be a legend in Atlanta. I'm very surprised to hear you say that you lived in Atlanta since '87 but could never warm up to Skip or the team? No offense, but you are very much in the minority regarding Skip (RIP). His sense of humor, dryness, and even his drawl worked for Atlanta. He just fit the fan base, I thought and I found it endearing. I've lived in Atlanta, New York, and Phili (briefly) and I can honestly say that the best "feel" for being at a park with electricity in the air was the old Atl Fulton County Stadium during the playoff runs in 91 and 92 and the WS victory in 95. No better feeling than seeing a downtrodden franchise rise to greatness/dynasty. After they beat the Indians in '95 and lost to the Yankees in '96, the experience of being at the park faded a bit and the newness wore off. I agree the Tomohawk chop thing is dumb.. I didn't live in Phili long enough to appreciate the Phills, but I can say that even if I'd lived in NY my whole life, there is no way I would ever find a Mets game enjoyable.

-Michael
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    I thought Skip was an excellent announcer-very entertaining. Perhaps not as knowledgeable as Jon Miller or Denny Matthews, but I enjoyed listening to him.
  • Options
    i used to enjoy skip image

for my money McCarver is the worst ever. He and joe morgan should be shot.
  • Options
    There is no better place for baseball on this planet than Fenway Park, and no better announcer than Curt Gowdy was "back in the day". Skip Caray was beyond boring and couldn't hold a candle to Gowdy. Most of the Atlanta fans are fair weather types, and would be very hard pressed to explain the infield fly rule or what constitutes a balk.

Born and raised just north of Boston, been a Red Sox fan for a long, long, time. Long enough to have seen Ted Williams and Mickey Mantle play in Fenway. AHHHHHHHH, those were indeed the days!!.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Chip should find a different career to pursue. However, Skip will forever be a legend in Atlanta. I'm very surprised to hear you say that you lived in Atlanta since '87 but could never warm up to Skip or the team? No offense, but you are very much in the minority regarding Skip (RIP). His sense of humor, dryness, and even his drawl worked for Atlanta. He just fit the fan base, I thought and I found it endearing. >>

Agreed. Skip, Pete and Ernie are as important to me as Scully is to Dodger fans, Jack Buck is to Cardinals fans and Ernie Harwell is to Tiger supporters.

I'm not going to bore everyone with the details, but I'm a long damn way from being a fair weather fan. I think Mike can probably say the same, as can most of the Braves fans here, from what I can tell.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> with the possible exception of John Sterling. >>

Don't forget Suzy Waldman. Her orgasm on the air over Clemens is classic horrible broadcasting.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i used to enjoy skip image

for my money McCarver is the worst ever. He and joe morgan should be shot. >>

i agree about mccarver and morgan. and i liked morgan as a player .
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    I'll agree about McCarver, Morgan, Sterling and Waldman. All four should be left on an island somewhere.

• Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    I'm a huge Braves fan. Skip was great, Chip not so much. Ernie, Pete, and Skip were the best all through the 80's and 90's. I always had TBS on growing up. Andy Griffith show at 6:35 followed by the Braves at 7:05. Great memories.
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    I really enjoyed Chip when he was in Chicago with Steve Stone. They basically had to leave because the Tribune company did not like how Steve and Chip would be open and honest about their feelings on the Cubs performance. This caused a riff between Ownership and the Cubs players and coaches. At the end it got so bad Chip and Stoney were not allowed to travel on the same plane as the team.

I would take both of them over Len Kasper and Tommy B anyday.
  • Options
    and Fox Sports South hires him...

Link

Steve
  • Options
    Deja-vu.