Home Precious Metals
Options

Generic Commercial UNC Double Eagles

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have a chance to pick up about a half dozen double eagles. Looking at the coins they would probably grade out at AU'ish to MS61'ish. They're not damaged, just not "gems".
I want to be perfectly fair but leave a little breathing room for me.

What would be, at today's levels, a price quote you would feel comfortable with. Maybe a high and a low.
I appreciate it!
If the deal comes through I'll follow up with some photos.

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options

Thread title says UNC but you say some are AUish in the post.

If you sure they would slab, then you could offer a little more but I'd be around $1300. Maybe a low of $1250 and $1350 for a high.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    $1,300 to $1,500 I maybe off a little.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys.
    They're common dates, of course.
    I didn't mean to throw anyone off with the thread title. Grading double Eagles is not my forte.

I don't see rub, but there's chatter so conservatively I give the range from AU55- MS62 (at best).

I too was thinking, at today's level, about $1.3 each but perhaps I should offer, in the interest of fairness, $1.4
    (The price is really kind of up to me as the seller only knows that gold is wild these days but doesn't know what, if any, premium there is between spot and purchase.)

peacockcoins

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $1400-$1450 is fair......but $1375-$1425 is certainly safer. Note that with even minor problems these drop down in price pretty quick. A minor cleaning could easily knock off $100-$150.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would doubt that this seller could get more than around 1200-1250 from most B/M's.

I can buy them for 1400 at several shops.........at retail.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't matter to me what the local B&M's pay as they are typically not the market setters in the price of non-bullion gold coins. If major gold wholesalers and retailers are paying $1450 for decent AU $20 Libs, then that is the market......not the B&M's buying them off the widows and orphans for $1200. Yeah, yeah, I know....they have overhead to pay because otherwise they would be making no money in this current gold market (lol). They could buy all they want at $1350 and sell them to me at $1400 the same day. No money tied up. In most shops that kind of gold is not lasting very long. It's not like they would be buying a real rare coin that might sit for months.

Over the past 10 yrs I've sold one coin to my local shop....and bought between 100-200 slabbed pieces (mostly gold). I know they cannot compete as a rule with the national wholesalers and retailers. It doesn't matter if it's a MS64 Saint or a MS65 seated quarter. They are just so used to buying cheaply from the public it is ingrained in them. What's better than buying raw Saints/Libs at $1200-$1400 and seeing them come back in high MS grades? We all wish we could buy one or two grades down.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold