Home U.S. Coin Forum

"Cameo" and "Deep Cameo" Designated PCGS Rattler Holders?

WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
In this other thread everybody can read here, one forum member (the OP, actually) stated that he owns a 1901 PR66CAM in a PCGS rattler holder. This has me thinking...

If my memory serves me right, PCGS during its rattler days did not assign "cameo" or "deep cameo" designations for any denomination that predated Franklin Halves.

I believe I am correct with that assessment, but if anybody has a rattler that proves me wrong please post a picture on this thead here. I'll consider it a learning opportunity.

Show me those non-Franklin and non-modern rattlers with cameo designations!
Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"

Comments

• Please read my reply in the thread, thank you.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my April 1988 pop report there are no CAMs listed for anything. But rattlers continued on for a while after that.

Interesting to view the pop ratio's back then on Morgan dollars.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

• << <i>In my April 1988 pop report there are no CAMs listed for anything. But rattlers continued on for a while after that.

Interesting to view the pop ratio's back then on various coins. It was quite difficult to get a 66 grade on a Saint back then. In nearly 2 years only 86 had been graded....20X tougher than the 65's.

roadrunner >>

Were talking Morgan proofs not gold.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think PCGS did cameo designations with anything before approx. 1992. I asked them about it back in 1991 at the Chicago ANA and they said there was no customer demand for it.

• << <i>I don't think PCGS did cameo designations with anything before approx. 1992. I asked them about it back in 1991 at the Chicago ANA and they said there was no customer demand for it. >>

Yep
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>In my April 1988 pop report there are no CAMs listed for anything. But rattlers continued on for a while after that.

Interesting to view the pop ratio's back then on various coins. It was quite difficult to get a 66 grade on a Saint back then. In nearly 2 years only 86 had been graded....20X tougher than the 65's.

roadrunner >>

Were talking Morgan proofs not gold. >>

I think he was just making an observation about gold after commenting on the cameo's. You have mentioned your cameo a couple times and it isnt cameo? Get that thing back in for the designation! There would not be a huge rattler premium in that grade but the cameo would be well worth it.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>In my April 1988 pop report there are no CAMs listed for anything. But rattlers continued on for a while after that.

roadrunner >>

Were talking Morgan proofs not gold. >>

I think he was just making an observation about gold after commenting on the cameo's. You have mentioned your cameo a couple times and it isnt cameo? Get that thing back in for the designation! There would not be a huge rattler premium in that grade but the cameo would be well worth it. >>

you think so? I just don't like the idea of tampering with it you know, slim chance someone can put hairlines on it. A good friend of mine sent in a trade dollar and they put a big hairline right across the front.
  • PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

<< <i> you think so? I just don't like the idea of tampering with it you know, slim chance someone can put hairlines on it. A good friend of mine sent in a trade dollar and they put a big hairline right across the front. >>

Don't crack the coin out, just send it in for a grade review. That way you don't risk damaging the coin in the cracking out process.
    "It is what it is."

• << <i>

<< <i> you think so? I just don't like the idea of tampering with it you know, slim chance someone can put hairlines on it. A good friend of mine sent in a trade dollar and they put a big hairline right across the front. >>

Don't crack the coin out, just send it in for a grade review. That way you don't risk damaging the coin in the cracking out process. >>

i always thought they crack the coin out for a grade review?
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok. Original post edited. This should be more in tune with the orig Morgan dollar rattler grading.

By April 1988 PF 65 Morgan dollars outnumbered PF66's by 3.3X.
    Approx 20 yrs later this ratio is now 1.45X.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

• << <i>

Don't crack the coin out, just send it in for a grade review. That way you don't risk damaging the coin in the cracking out process. >>

exactly

Maud:
    saying it is a cam and not designated is still a PR coin. Since you are adamant that it is a PR66CAM- it is a mere factor of a regrade to have it designated as such.

and just as a FYI- not all Frankies were given the designation either. Wei- I'll be more than happy to show ya one this week in Houston..

• << <i>

<< <i>

exactly

Maud:
    saying it is a cam and not designated is still a PR coin. Since you are adamant that it is a PR66CAM- it is a mere factor of a regrade to have it designated as such.

and just as a FYI- not all Frankies were given the designation either. Wei- I'll be more than happy to show ya one this week in Houston.. >>

yes the coin is a CAM all day long, i will leave it since its not leaving my collection for quite some time, if i do ever want to sell it i will send it in, but until then it stays put in my SDB image
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if the coin is sent in for regrade it will be cracked out of the holder it arrives in.

• << <i> I asked them about it back in 1991 at the Chicago ANA and they said there was no customer demand for it. >>

That's the very same show where there was a cool educational seminar w/ HRH, QDB, Martin Paul, & many others. HRH had the audacity to stand in front of all and proclaim that "grading standards DO NOT change!". image

More importantly, that is where I met St. Feldini!
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> I asked them about it back in 1991 at the Chicago ANA and they said there was no customer demand for it. >>

That's the very same show where there was a cool educational seminar w/ HRH, QDB, Martin Paul, & many others. HRH had the audacity to stand in front of all and proclaim that "grading standards DO NOT change!". image >>

That's because Compugrade presented their computer grading system at that show (an interesting presentation), which would go on to codify grading standards once and for all. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file