Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

raw card Ebay dilemma

A couple of weeks ago I was high bidder on a bunch of 1960 Topps cards. Each card was individually auctioned off. Each auction had pictures and tremendous write ups about the cards. Seller used terms like '4 fairly sharp corners' 'lightest of touch on a corner' 'great centering' 'gorgeous color' 'no pin holes or creases'. Unfortunately, he made no mention of grade--no where in any of the auctions did it say near mint or mint...I felt confident from the scans and the write ups that hey, these could be grade worthy.

The cards are ex-mint at best. most have dinged or soft corners. Looking back at the auctions, he was pretty slick with the angle he took the cards from to ensure they looked better on the screen than in hand. The one that gets me is a team card that was checked on the back, and wouldn't you know it, it was right there in the picture and I didn't make it to the picture of the back when I bid. Seller doesn't accept returns--even there I may have an argument on some of the cards but no way on the team card since a picture was there, right?

So my dilemma is, do I just chalk this up to being more selective with who I buy raw from? Or do I attempt to contact the seller and see how willing he is to work out a return? Will Ebay even accept an item not as describe dispute from a seller with a no returns policy?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Chalk it up as a lesson learned in buying raw.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    It can't hurt to email the seller ... be nice and see what he/she says ... did you spend a lot of money? If it was not a lot TO YOU and the seller is not willing to do something, then I would chalk it up to a lesson learned.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Did you pay with paypal?
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    Didn't spend a lot--about $40. Just kicking myself that I didn't follow the old adage of 'if it's too good to be true, it probably isn't'
  • Options

<< <i>Did you pay with paypal? >>

paid via paypal.
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Did you pay with paypal? >>

paid via paypal. >>

I think you can do a dispute

"item not as described"
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    if it really does bother you and you feel ripped off I would open a paypal dispute.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is just me, but first I would send a friendly and explanatory email to the seller as sort of a "tire kicker" to see where his feelings are at with regard to my concerns (understanding, reasonable, couldn't care less, etc....). It only takes a moment, but could save you the trouble of starting any official claims. In my opinion, starting a claim without so much as a heads up to the seller never gets these things off on the right foot. Good luck.

PS - If after your friendly email he tells you to go pound sand, then you have to decide if you want to take action or chalk it up to a lesson learned.
  • Options
    link to auctions? curious what the cards looked like on screen.
  • Options

<< <i>This is just me, but first I would send a friendly and explanatory email to the seller as sort of a "tire kicker" to see where his feelings are at with regard to my concerns (understanding, reasonable, couldn't care less, etc....). It only takes a moment, but could save you the trouble of starting any official claims. In my opinion, starting a claim without so much as a heads up to the seller never gets these things off on the right foot. Good luck.

PS - If after your friendly email he tells you to go pound sand, then you have to decide if you want to take action or chalk it up to a lesson learned. >>

always start with a reasonable request/concern before elevating it further. Most eBay sellers have their auction formats pre-set with the wording and choices; doesn't always mean that they will stick to their guns 100%... at least worth a friendly inquiry...
    Positive and successful transactions with:
    LeagueLeader; IJustLoveCards; Recbball; msassin; leathtech; lsutigers1973; Bosox1976; Dboneesq; Aric; Bkritz
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't matter that he mentions no returns in the descriprion. If you file a Paypal claim and win you will get your money back after you return the cards.
    James
  • Options
    Here's one of the cards in question

From the auction

in hand

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's one of the cards in question

From the auction

in hand

image >>

Yep, the old "distant pic from a digital camera to hide the flaws" ebay trick.
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    I agree with nam812 totally.

You would be amazed at how easily problems are solved when common sense is applied.

Nick
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

It is admirable - and comforting to me - that 99.9% of the folks here
    make most of their money decisions on the basis of a strong and
    straight moral compass.

Since I seldom make my cash decisions that way, I will just try to
    help the OP easily get his money back. (I won't address the idea
    that if the OP had gotten 8s and 9s and 10s for the price of 5s, he
    would not likely be complaining.)

"...Yep, the old "distant pic from a digital camera to hide the flaws" ebay trick..."

"...'4 fairly sharp corners' 'lightest of touch on a corner' 'great centering' 'gorgeous color' 'no pin holes or creases'...."

ALL of that forms the basis for a successful PayPal SNAD-claim.

Simply cite the ways that the cards do not match the descriptions.

Absent a militant defense from the seller, the PP-claim is a near slam dunk.

On EBAY, a seller's "no return policy" means NOTHING in the face of a SNAD-claim; UNLESS
    the seller is able/willing to spend the time needed to enforce the policy. FEW sellers know
    how to do it, and even fewer will take the time to do it.

SNAD-claims should be filed directly with PayPal; NOT through the bogus EBAY complaint platform.

The "fairplay" notion of dealing with the seller before opening a SNAD-claim is
    nice, but it is NEVER in the interest of a refund-seeking buyer to employ it.

Such a heads-up simply gives a bad seller time to plot and scheme his response
    to the inevitable SNAD-claim.

DISCLAIMER: While my bias is in favor of sellers - due to the number of TERRIBLE
    "buyers" that EBAY is infested with - on this board I try to offer advice that I
    think will be "helpful" to almost anybody with an inquiry.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options

I think the ebay pic was enhanced to hide the corners.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    How many cards were in this lot? That question needs answering before I can make a valid judgment.

Also, you make no mention on how this lot was paid for. (Only that you got it from ebay) That too is a bit of info I'd need to know.

Hope it works out for you, Ebay raw cards are generally for raw sets. Once in a while you might get lucky and grade out

some raw cards.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KatsCards has mentioned already that payment was made via paypal.
  • Options
    Ahhh I only read her OP, I did not read any of the other posts.

Still I'd like to know how many cards were in this lot. Or has she mentioned that too?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭
    I recognize the photo...I checked out a lot of his auctions with the photos on the wood-grain table top and thought they were too good to be true. Sorry they weren't as expected. You can file a dispute for item not as described I believe.
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    I'd file with paypal, and then I'd neg him as a warning to other buyers. That's what feedback is for, and candiman11 has had enough complaints that he would have straightened up his act (ie. provided better pictures and not puffed up descriptions) if he had any interest in being honest.

You've already learned your lesson--now teach the seller one.

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    I would've steered clear of that seller.

-below average feedback
    -$3 shipping + $1 for each additional card
    -no returns accepted
    -poor pictures

• Options

<< <i>Ahhh I only read her OP, I did not read any of the other posts.

Still I'd like to know how many cards were in this lot. Or has she mentioned that too?

Steve >>

I bought nine individual cards. Grand total of $42.66 + $5 for shipping. And I had bid on the Mantle that he offered as well. Glad I didn't win that one.
  • Options
    Ahhh again my comprehension was lacking, you calling it a lot confused me.

9 cards for 40.00 does require an email to the seller, keep it short and whatever you do do not state

that you might leave him a negative.

Simply do what Nam advised, I mean it can't hurt. Or jump that part and go right to PP and file the SNAD

I was under the impression you got a 'lot' of cards.

Either way Kat hope you gt satisfaction.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    I would do what Nick suggested.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options

<< <i>This is just me, but first I would send a friendly and explanatory email to the seller as sort of a "tire kicker" to see where his feelings are at with regard to my concerns (understanding, reasonable, couldn't care less, etc....). It only takes a moment, but could save you the trouble of starting any official claims. In my opinion, starting a claim without so much as a heads up to the seller never gets these things off on the right foot. Good luck.

PS - If after your friendly email he tells you to go pound sand, then you have to decide if you want to take action or chalk it up to a lesson learned. >>

This is something that should always be done. If your not happy with a purchase, contact the seller first. If you can't work something out, then decide your next action.
  • Options
    I once went down this path - cards did not match descriptions (seller offered "grades" on unslabbed cards) but the kicker were the descriptions as "clean, slight corner wear, etc" on cards with stains, damage and defects not noted.

The seller refused to accept the cards and I filed a claim. It tooks months to get resolved and I had to upload copies of all the email exchanges to back my claim. Seller counter filed claim and posted negative feedback even though I paid him the same day I won the auctions. I had to file additional claims and call customer service w/ ebay to get his feedback removed. It was a PITA to get back about $100 in cards. Plus I lost all the return shipping fees. Note on return shipping - you must use a service that offers internet verification of delivery. I used USPS w/ delivery confirmation. Check you post office for the best method of confirming delivery.

Good luck if you decide to pursue a claim.
    1964 stand ups
    1975 mini's
    1954 Wilson Franks
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the ebay pic was enhanced to hide the corners. >>

agree

also, if the seller has "returns accepted" in their listing, just pack the cards up and send back with Delivery Confirmation. Once the cards arrive open a paypal dispute and after one day escalate to a claim.

If returns are not accepted you can still do the above saying that the cards were not as described (which is true) like nightcrawler said, those pics look enhanced.

harsh, but those are the rules.

Patrick