Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Scarce Auction Catalog... Gone Wild!

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was one of the under bidder's and would have loved to added this to my library...

but was blown away at the crazed sniper's last second bids

5 Chapman auction hardbound reprint. image
To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! It looks like it was more than just "when snipers collide," as the underbidder raised his bid 32 seconds after his previous bid was beat.
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ....Maybe the buyer thought it came with the coins....image
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy macaroni! image

The underbidder "cost" the auction winner over $2200! Yikes.

That's got to be one happy seller!

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

<< <i>Holy macaroni! image

Lane >>

Especially as it was listed for 99 cents with no reserve.
  • Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭
    This was a true bargain for the winner (who I happen to know).

The same 4 catalogs sold separately in a sale earlier this year for a total of $13,925.

These were plated catalogs from very well known coin dealers, Samuel H. & Henry Chapman, and their sale catalogs are highly collected and avidly pursued.

Only 2 examples of the 1919 Sleicher sale, included with this group, have been sold in the last 20 years!

Yes, rare Numismatic Literature is alive and well!

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    If photographic plates of the coins are included, then this was probably still a great deal. An original plated Sleicher or a plated Taylor-Windle would cost big bucks. If this is only a reprint, well that is a different story.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options

<< <i>This was a true bargain for the winner (who I happen to know).

The same 4 catalogs sold separately in a sale earlier this year sold for a total of $13,925.

These were plated catalogs from very well known coin dealers, Samuel H. & Henry Chapman, and their sale catalogs are highly collected and avidly pursued.

Only 2 examples of the 1919 Sleicher sale, included with this group, have been sold in the last 20 years!

Yes, rare Numismatic Literature is alive and well!

QN >>

Thanks for your post Quarternut! image
  • Options

<< <i>If photographic plates of the coins are included, then this was probably still a great deal. An original plated Sleicher or a plated Taylor-Windle would cost big bucks. If this is only a reprint, well that is a different story. >>

It was not a "reprint" (not sure why that was added to the link above) and yes, the original photographic plates were included.

My meager bid was not even posted, as the bids exceeded what I knew to be a conservative attempt at purchasing the group (although my bid was over $2000).

On a side note: The E-bay seller is not a knowledgeable literature dealer, nor even a numismatist, merely an estate seller who either got a rip from the original owner without knowing it, or cost the owner several thousand dollars by not consigning it to a proper sale.

Such are the "bargains" that one can still find on the Bay...

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    Where's P.T. Barnum???image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Where's P.T. Barnum???image >>

I don't know, but maybe the proud winner can get a tattoo of the auction catalog image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    When I bid at the last few moments I walk away from the computer so I do not enter a crazy, unthoughout, rediculous bid at the very last second....
  • Options
    Evidently the last three posters failed to read all of the other posts...

These were very well thought out bids by the two top bidders. I am only surprised that it did not go for even more and I think that had to do with the lack of effort put in to listing it. If there had been more pictures showing the plated pages I predict it would have sold for closer to $5000, JMHO.

QN

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Was the winner a forum member? Sounds like we had members bidding against each other.
  • Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    seller has a few more items for sale.

wonder what they might get
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In spite of Quarternut's impassioned comments...I just don't get it. I'm a big fan of numismatic history, provenance, and I like looking my coins up in old catalogs. But I still don't get it.

Several years ago I built a nice collection of first editions and signed first editions - Phantom of the Opera, Gone With The Wind and even a first English edition of the 3-part Divine Comedy by Dante. All really cool. But I quickly got frustrated with the fact that I couldn't take them out of the safe and look through them or read them or really show them to anyone because it was so easy to mess them up in some minor way. And even very minor mess ups would drastically reduce their value. So that hobby got old quickly.
  • Options
    Sounds very cheap for what it is.
  • Options

<< <i>In spite of Quarternut's impassioned comments...I just don't get it. I'm a big fan of numismatic history, provenance, and I like looking my coins up in old catalogs. But I still don't get it.

Several years ago I built a nice collection of first editions and signed first editions - Phantom of the Opera, Gone With The Wind and even a first English edition of the 3-part Divine Comedy by Dante. All really cool. But I quickly got frustrated with the fact that I couldn't take them out of the safe and look through them or read them or really show them to anyone because it was so easy to mess them up in some minor way. And even very minor mess ups would drastically reduce their value. So that hobby got old quickly. >>

I can certainly understand what you mean. The value in these kinds of items is more about owning them and maybe completing a set, than being able to handle them as we can with coins.

That being said, they are collectables just like most anything else and their value increases due to supply and demand. There are many more collectors of this kind of item than there are items to go around, hence high prices.

The collector who won this auction lot is working on a complete set of plated Chapman auction catalogs. This was one of his only opportunities to acquire at least one of the sales that were included. If any of the literature dealers had known about the sale then it would have been bid up much higher. These are very rare items.

To each his own... I for one, have a hard time understanding why collectors pay big bucks for modern creations that are neither rare nor historically interesting. But it takes all kinds to make the world go round…

QN

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>In spite of Quarternut's impassioned comments...I just don't get it. I'm a big fan of numismatic history, provenance, and I like looking my coins up in old catalogs. But I still don't get it.

Several years ago I built a nice collection of first editions and signed first editions - Phantom of the Opera, Gone With The Wind and even a first English edition of the 3-part Divine Comedy by Dante. All really cool. But I quickly got frustrated with the fact that I couldn't take them out of the safe and look through them or read them or really show them to anyone because it was so easy to mess them up in some minor way. And even very minor mess ups would drastically reduce their value. So that hobby got old quickly. >>

I can certainly understand what you mean. The value in these kinds of items is more about owning them and maybe completing a set, than being able to handle them as we can with coins.

That being said, they are collectables just like most anything else and their value increases due to supply and demand. There are many more collectors of this kind of item than there are items to go around, hence high prices.

The collector who won this auction lot is working on a complete set of plated Chapman auction catalogs. This was one of his only opportunities to acquire at least one of the sales that were included. If any of the literature dealers had known about the sale then it would have been bid up much higher. These are very rare items.

To each his own... I for one, have a hard time understanding why collectors pay big bucks for modern creations that are neither rare nor historically interesting. But it takes all kinds to make the world go round…

QN >>

Modern may not be historically interesting now but in a hundered years the stories of the cut throat action to get the 70's will make them priceless in the numismatic history books. image
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to the winner on a major rip. Who says you can't find good stuff on ebay?

Myself, I'd be just as happy with good color copies of the original plates - you get about 99% of the research value at about 1% of the cost.
  • Options
    lol... yea.... $2222.22 is a WELL thought out bid... seems like a last depiration to type in anything as quickly as possible... but what do I know... image
  • Options
    BXBOY143BXBOY143 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Holy macaroni! image

Lane >>

Especially as it was listed for 99 cents with no reserve. >>

starting bid was $9.99image
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Myself, I'd be just as happy with good color copies of the original plates - you get about 99% of the research value at about 1% of the cost. >>

For a literature collector that's about the same as saying we would be just as happy with a nice Chinese copy of an 1804 dollar, I mean they look nearly the same don't they?
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    See, you are not thinking the right way. If your objective is to crank out numismatic research at a minimum cost, the two grand is far better spent on a partial run of the AJN or the Numismatist, or even a run of unplated Chapmans. If you really need the plates, you can network for the copies (or visit the ANS and look at them there).

Let me tell you how bad it is. The reprint of the first six volumes of the Numismatist is apparently up to the $500-$700 range. I am seriously considering photocopying my reprint and selling it. So, I will collect reprints of reprints if I have to. My goal is to have the best research library, dollar for dollar.

Now, a bucketload of plated Chapmans is certainly a fine thing - a real piece of numismatic history, and again I congratulate the successful bidder. Well done.
  • Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
    It looks like the winning bidder could have saved some money if he would have waited 35 seconds to place his bid.
    Giving the other guy 38 seconds to bid again was way too early. What if the underbidder had put in $10,000.
    He might still have won but at a much higher price.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Coinasaurus, I understand from the researchers point of view that costs need to be minimized, I had just assumed they were bought by a collector.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have spent a scary amount of money on numislit over the past 10 years and I wouldn't have bid this for this auction. I don't doubt that the catalogs are original, but there's no way to know if the plates are original without seeing them in hand. Every Chapman has reprint plates available, right? It may be that the catalogs are worth the money even with reprint plates, but I didn't bid. Guess I'm getting old.

P.S. It really is cool though.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file