Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are small planchet Capped Bust quarters under-appreciated?

Seems as though they may be over shadowed by the popularity of their larger sized counterparts. Why so little interest in this series?

Comments

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please let them stay that way.
  • Options
    Yes, prices have weakened in this series. These coins have a low pop and small survival rate but collector interest has not been strong here for some time. I for one like this series and am a current buyer of high grade AU coins here. With so few dates this series is very attainable now with great supply coming in. I hope interest stays down until I’m done.
    OLDER IS BETTER
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Please let them stay that way. >>

Agreed. I still have a few more to get for my registry...
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    NO, the low demand is keeping the prices down, relatively, and that's good if you're the buyer...such as myself! imageimage
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I admit it, I am only interested in the large size Bust Quarters. The small size are simply made too uniformly for me, not enough character.

In my opinion, yes, the small plan Bust Quarters are under-appreciated, and should cost more money than they currently command, based on their availability.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭
    I often times wonder why the small diameter series of Bust Quarters are not more avidly pursued...

They are far from "cookie cutter" like, if one only takes the time to study them. There are many interesting die variations in almost every year to draw interest and finding choice coins in AU and above grades is a tremendous challenge with several die marriages that do not exist in uncirculated grades.

Here is a short list of interesting things that are found in this short series of 1831 - 1838:

Small Letters Reverse
    Large Letters Reverse
    Large over Small 1's
    Small Arrowheads

Small Arrowheads
    Large Arrowheads

Period in the denomination
    No period in the denomination
    Re-punched reverse legend (O/F)

Re-punched reverse legend (O/F)

Eagle with tongue
    Eagle without tounge

Eagle with tongue
    Eagle without tounge

I believe the main reason the earlier dates (1815 -1828) are so popular is that they are a larger size diameter and the later dates (1831 - 1838) are the same diameter as the quarters we use today.

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I agree with everything that has been said.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the CBQs (small and large) are under appreciated is akin to the same reasons why half-cents are under appreciated. Both fall in the shadow of their larger, more plentiful, and generally less expensive, siblings.

In addition, the half-cents and quarters are "broken" sets in that there are many years without coins being struck whereas with the large cents and CBHs, they are virtually complete through the years. I really really like the CBQs, but the CBHs caught my attention (and wallet) first!

Then again...what do I know...I collect twenty-cent pieces by die variety! image

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    Agree with Quarternut. Interesting series with lots of varieties for the anal retentive among us.

Mojo
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file