Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Looking for help with a copper nickel???

My grandfather found a copper nickel. I havn't seen it yet but I plan on going down there soon to get some pics. I found a state quarter missing the clad and a dime with both clad layers missing a while back. He told me that the coin is circulated and the date was 1998. What would something like that be worth? I think both layers are missing. I'm not real good with the coin process, but I was wondering if a penny blank could have been mixed in with the nickels. Any help would be great.
Thanks
-Tom
image I keep a census on Hawaii Error notes, Radars, Repeaters, Hawaii Stars (all denominations), Low serials, 6 of a kind, 7 of a kind, Canceled notes, AC blocks, ZB blocks, FC blocks, Uncut sheets and Late plates. If you have any information you would like to share please PM me. Thanks.image

Comments

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Nickels are not clad like quarters and dimes, so it isn't missing any layers. There is a chance it was struck on a Cent Blank. We will need photos and a weight for more help.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nickel struck on a cent planchet. Get it weighed and show us a photo.

Could be worth around 200 dollars.
  • Options
    Thanks. I told you I didn't know muchimageimage What would the weight be if it is?
    image I keep a census on Hawaii Error notes, Radars, Repeaters, Hawaii Stars (all denominations), Low serials, 6 of a kind, 7 of a kind, Canceled notes, AC blocks, ZB blocks, FC blocks, Uncut sheets and Late plates. If you have any information you would like to share please PM me. Thanks.image
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found a nickel in a bag once with the nickel plating not on it looks like this, I need to send it in for grading.

imageimage

Hoard the keys.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file