Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

what are replica Morgan dollars ??

I have just gotten into collecting coins (over from the card collecting). I got a Morgan dollar from my Dad when I was a kid. So as I am searching for Morgan Dollars - I see all these replicas for sale. - ecrater has many

What is that all about and is there a clear way to tell them apart (and steer clear of them) ?

Thanks for any help to a newcomer.

cheers

Comments

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chinese fakes.

Search that term on this forum.
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    REplica's are modern reproductions. They are common for difficult coins that are very expensive. For example, the average collector can't afford a chain cent so chain cent replica's are common. I believe the law requires when you duplicate legal currency you have to stamp "replica" or "copy" on it.

--Jerry
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome!

Yes, there are a lot of replicas and copy's and reproductions. If you don't know how to tell them apart
    then you are limited to buying them in protective plastic. The likes of PCGS, NGC, and ANACS are 3
    excellent grading/slabbing companies. You can rest assured that if they are in these slabs they are
    real.
    Now that I said that there are fake PCGS, NGC and ANACS slabs too. Those fortunately are few and
    far between.
    I guess it's similar to sports cards. A lot of fakes out there. Take your time and start reading and
    studying. You'll love the hobby.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There cheap fakes.
    Very few if any will ever be certified.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There cheap fakes.
    image >>

I've seen these fakes and IMO, none will EVER get certified by a reputable TPG.

In hand, they look ok but under any type of loupe, they fail miserably.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

I knew I should of added this image

• Options
    thanks everyone for the insight.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file