Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

eBay question about retracted bids

I had bid mulitple times on a similar item and one bidder was above me on all of them. In the mean time, I purchased the cards I was looking for. Over the weekend, I recognized that the same one bidder on FIVE auctions had retracted his bids making me the high bidder on all the auctions. Normally, a retracted bid does not affect me too much but to have five happen all at once was a bit too much. Luckily for me I was able to win the auctions for about $3 instead of the $15 in which I was not even the high bidder. My question is how eBay responds to one bidder cancelling five bids...retracting them..... It is obvious this person did not want to pay for the items and it ended up being a benefit to me, but having the cards sit at $15 all week and having one bidder retract their bids did not help the seller of these items. I have been on ebay for ten years but thought this was unusual.
BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

Comments

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    He just retracted another bid. Unbelievable!
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    who is doing this? username and links
  • Options
    His username is X he retracted 5 bids earlier this weekend and 4 more tonight. It sort of puts me in a weird position because some of the items where I was not the highest bidder makes me the highest bidder and with it being a new product there are multiple items so there are times in which I am not looking to purchase that item anymore.

• Options
    Here are a few wins I had over the weekend 220514793585, 220514789835, 220514785903, and 120496885876.

Here are the five most auctions where the guy retracted his bids.....130347917390, 3901124909055, 290375123838, 230402853643, and 230402864297.

The same bidder retracted his bid 9 times in all!!! I thought ebay was trying to get rid of this type of behavior???
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    He needs to be reported. Bid retractions is one of those things that, although Ebay doesn't think it serious, is VERY serious.....maybe they will notice a pattern and give him the old heave ho?
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Ebay says "We carefully investigate all bid retractions to determine whether they are appropriate and conform to the rules for buyers. Abuse of bid retractions can result in the suspension of your account. In addition, your total number of bid retractions in the past 12 months is displayed in your Feedback Profile."
  • Options
    I have not talked to this guy in years and he sends me in email. Look at his feedback as a seller "X" I cannot believe that ebay did not permanently get rid of him earlier. He sends me this email tonight. He has my email from when he purchased cards from me dating back to 2002. I have not corresponded with him in years...

"i am also not sure if i want the postcard or not that is on ebay right now , I
    have several and I do not really like the enscription on it. i may let you have
    it.

We are bidding against ourselves on all of them. It is actually stupid. You know
    you cant outbid me, so you have to be careful when you push the bid up, YOU may
    get stuck with it.

It is stupid for both of us to bid against ourselves."

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    You really should report him, if you haven't already.
  • Options
    I just did. Thanks for the support.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like he is bitter that you are forcing him to pay more for items than he is willing. I think he might also be trying to teach you a "lesson" so you won't bid on items he has already bid on.

Scumbag ebayer if you ask me.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    I don't understand something... how do you know (prior to the email) just who is bidding? With eBay they show those weird id's to eliminate just that possibility... or so I thought... just curious...
    Positive and successful transactions with:
    LeagueLeader; IJustLoveCards; Recbball; msassin; leathtech; lsutigers1973; Bosox1976; Dboneesq; Aric; Bkritz
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    You can tell if you pay attention
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Just look at the number of feedback. I bid on amateur wrestling items so you get to know who is bidding rather quickly. You can also look at completed auctions and to see who actually won the item after it is over.
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    snipe

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    I probably should just snipe like most guys. On some of this stuff I am not too worried about it and just put in a bid and let it ride win or lose.