Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

ERROR CARD OF THE WEEK 11/29/2009 (1990 Donruss Juan Gonzalez Reverse Negative)

The 1990 Donruss set was full of errors and/or variations that were very hot during the boom of collecting. This was obviously during the "junk era" and there seems to be a ton of all the errors available for a cheap price. The most sought after card of the set was the Rookie card of slugger Juan Gonzalez in the Reverse Negative error format.

It seemed that error boxes were stopped quickly what due to the high production there are many of all errors available.

Take a look at the Juan Gone, both Error and Corrected below:

imageimage
Buying:
Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”

Comments

• Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    comments ?
    Buying:
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭
    1990 Dunruss

<< <i>comments ? >>

I got one.

You spelled Donruss wrong. image
  • Options

<< <i>1990 Dunruss

<< <i>comments ? >>

I got one.

You spelled Donruss wrong. image >>

thanks., lol

I bet everyone has one!
    Buying:
  • Options
    Nice Gonzalez cards. Even cooler they are 2001 Donruss Anniversary editions. Then again, I might be the only one who finds Graded Series cards cool. image
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    yeah, I could use a 1990 donruss PSA 10 Juan Gone error if anyone has one for my error collection.
    Buying:
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    I remember as a kid my brother and I never knew what "Rev Neg Err" in our Beckett mean't so we just assumed all the cards we had were the higher priced one's image At some point I plan to pick up nice copies of all the big cards when I was younger,will probably wait another 5+ years though.
  • Options
    yeah, cards are great., I am glad I am collecting again.

I stopped when I moved away to college and many were lost/damage in moving back and forth and such.

In a way, now that the hobby market has crashed, it has become something much more personal and genuine.

Makes sharing with other collectors even better.
    Buying:
  • Options
    CWUCAT62CWUCAT62 Posts: 91 ✭✭✭
    Good stuff as always Rich. I remember getting a of those boxes looking for the Nolan Ryan wrongbacks. Too many errors/variations in this set to count. Can't wait until next week.
    Andre Dawson Super Collector, who also collects the following-
    *Baseball* HOF autographs, Harold Baines, Pete Rose, Joe Morgan & Seattle Mariners
    *Football* Seattle Seahawks, Kenny Easley, Steve Largent, Jon Kitna, & Brian Bosworth
    YouTube Channel link; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAyO141lGqcV2fEjt723jUQ
  • Options
    thanks again
    Buying:
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Can someone explain what a 2001 Donruss Anniversary Original is? Were the cards pictured in this thread printed in 1990, or 2001?
  • Options

<< <i>Can someone explain what a 2001 Donruss Anniversary Original is? Were the cards pictured in this thread printed in 1990, or 2001? >>

The Anniversary Originals are prominent rookie cards from Donruss' past, that were bought back, submitted to BGS for grading, and seeded into each hobby wax box. Each card was given a "20th Anniversary Originals" notation on the slab's flip.

Rich- I remember finally getting this card in 1990. Went in my pages next to my pack pulled wrong/blank back/fronts. Good times.
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Can someone explain what a 2001 Donruss Anniversary Original is? Were the cards pictured in this thread printed in 1990, or 2001? >>

The Anniversary Originals are prominent rookie cards from Donruss' past, that were bought back, submitted to BGS for grading, and seeded into each hobby wax box. Each card was given a "20th Anniversary Originals" notation on the slab's flip.

Rich- I remember finally getting this card in 1990. Went in my pages next to my pack pulled wrong/blank back/fronts. Good times. >>

It seems funny how I have never pulled a wrong back or blank back yet some people have 1,000's of them.
    If I did pull wrong backs or blank backs/fronts I definately don't have any of them.

Anyone have any insight into why blank backs and wrong backs all seem to be in hard to pull but easy to find?
    Buying:
  • Options
    They're easy to find because many, many people would take them from the printing facilities and cut them up.

If you've searched ebay anytime recently for "error", you will notice a seller that litters the marketplace with 20-50 count lots of star and semi-star 1988-1992 blank fronts and wrongbacks.

Wow, think about that: 50 copies of one specific player's blank front card? Owned by one person? Topps just didn't insert that many mistakes like that into it's packs for there to be bulk of any specific blank front or wrongback etc. Stories of dumpster diving entrepreneurs have circulated in the hobby for decades now. The flip side of this is that some really cool-looking stuff entered the hobby as a result, such as 1982 Topps Blueless and other printing-test type stuff. A year or so ago, I purchased an uncut 1992 Bowman Foil sheet that hadn't received it's foil - pretty cool novelty.

My Error & Variation Blog

Collecting Robin Ventura and Matt Luke.
  • Options

<< <i> really cool-looking stuff entered the hobby as a result, such as 1982 Topps Blueless and other printing-test type stuff. A year or so ago, I purchased an uncut 1992 Bowman Foil sheet that hadn't received it's foil - pretty cool novelty. >>

JC,

So, you believe all the blueless were back-doored from topps?

This is a theory many others believe as well.

I own one blueless card, but they are near impossible to find.

I really don't even look for them anymore as most were purchased early and we probably won't see them again.

Buying:
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Here's a slightly different version of the Gonzalez error:

• Options
    nice card !
    Buying:
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Rich- I remember finally getting this card in 1990. Went in my pages next to my pack pulled wrong/blank back/fronts. Good times. >>

It seems funny how I have never pulled a wrong back or blank back yet some people have 1,000's of them.
    If I did pull wrong backs or blank backs/fronts I definately don't have any of them.

Anyone have any insight into why blank backs and wrong backs all seem to be in hard to pull but easy to find? >>

As already mentioned, most were backdoored, dumpsterdove etc.

I remember pulling Score switched backs and 1987 Topps blank backs. Probally about 5 of ea. My Dad has them and when I get them back (inherit).....a smile will be on my face.

Bob- Nice card.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

>>

Thanks for the info. How come some of them on ebay have a 20th anniv. logo on them, and some do not?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

Thanks for the info. How come some of them on ebay have a 20th anniv. logo on them, and some do not? >>

I think the ones printed in 2001 have the logo and the buybacks (BGS slabbed) do not.
    imageimageimage
  • Options

so Donruss reprinted or 'bought back' some of their own screwups?? they frantically stop the presses to correct an error from being distributed, then 10yrs later, try and find more to redistribute? jeesh how desperate.....
  • Options

<< <i>image

so Donruss reprinted or 'bought back' some of their own screwups?? they frantically stop the presses to correct an error from being distributed, then 10yrs later, try and find more to redistribute? jeesh how desperate..... >>

Think they bought cards back, because they were part of their history. Seems hard finding those 2001 Donruss originals with grades over 8.5, guess they weren't too picky about what they bought back.
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Anyone have any insight into why blank backs and wrong backs all seem to be in hard to pull but easy to find? >>

As already mentioned, most were backdoored, dumpsterdove etc. >>

In the 80's, our family friend owned a company that would get uncut sheets from Topps, cut them up and create those packaged team sets you'd see at kaybee/kmart/etc. He'd give me a few uncut sheets every year. I remember him saying they'd get a lot of blank back/misprinted sheets and would cut them up and give them away. I'm completely speculating, but I would assume this is a likely way a lot of those cards ended up in collectors' hands.
  • Options
    yeah, another successful week, I am glad I have stuck with it
    Buying:
  • Options
    Does anyone notice a difference between the card that bobsbbcards posted. The black lines break up on "J" ,"a" ,and "z" and again in "ale". Does anyone have the regular rookies that have the same break up . I searched through dozens of Donruss Gonzalez rookies and found two similiar cards that have the same breaks in the black lines. Could this be an error itself? Info appreciated on this. Thanks Ryan
    1938 Cartledge Boxing cards psa 7 - psa 10
    1951 Topps Red backs psa 8 only!
    1960 Golden Press Presidential set Psa 8 's - Psa 9's
    1961 Golden Press psa 9's
    1976 Topps baseball psa 9 Stars
    1980 Kelloggs baseball Psa 9's - Psa 10's
    1988-1989 Fleer Basketball psa 9's
    1988-1989 Fleer Stickers psa 9's
    1989-1990 Fleer Basketball psa 10's
    1992 Coca-Cola Donruss Nolan Ryan 1-26 Psa 10 only Gpa 9.80++ E-mail Newyork00007@aol.com
  • Options

<< <i>Here's a slightly different version of the Gonzalez error: Notice the break up in the black lines???

image >>

1938 Cartledge Boxing cards psa 7 - psa 10
    1951 Topps Red backs psa 8 only!
    1960 Golden Press Presidential set Psa 8 's - Psa 9's
    1961 Golden Press psa 9's
    1976 Topps baseball psa 9 Stars
    1980 Kelloggs baseball Psa 9's - Psa 10's
    1988-1989 Fleer Basketball psa 9's
    1988-1989 Fleer Stickers psa 9's
    1989-1990 Fleer Basketball psa 10's
    1992 Coca-Cola Donruss Nolan Ryan 1-26 Psa 10 only Gpa 9.80++ E-mail Newyork00007@aol.com
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Here are my two errors and yes they do have differences in spacing of the lines and lettering. The image is also slightly shifted to the top as you can see by the differences between the bats placement.

Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    thanks for all the people adding to the post!

If anyone can steer me in the direction of a Juan Gone Aqueous I would appreciate it !!image

great work and more to come !!
    Buying:
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    When I first read about that error, I unsuccessfully ripped several different boxes and packs trying to find one.

I had pretty much given up on ever finding one when one day at Kmart, I found 4 Rangers team set with the error card right on the front of the pack! I couldn't believe it. I had to spend about 10 minutes convincing my mom to give me the $10 to buy them.
  • Options
    AricAric Posts: 757 ✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone notice a difference between the card that bobsbbcards posted. The black lines break up on "J" ,"a" ,and "z" and again in "ale". Does anyone have the regular rookies that have the same break up . I searched through dozens of Donruss Gonzalez rookies and found two similiar cards that have the same breaks in the black lines. Could this be an error itself? Info appreciated on this. Thanks Ryan >>

I recall there being several variations on different cards having to do with the black line breaks and the players names.
  • Options
    Partial error listing. I'd bet my collection jacksoncoupage has numerous others in his list.

1990 Donruss

The following cards have either A- All Star Game Performance or B- Recent M.L. Performance on the back -637,650,654,660,663,673,674,676,683,692,695,697,701,703,705,707,708,710,712,715
    All Puzzle pieces come with or without a period in front of each puzzle number. A 3rd variation for 43,44,45 is a period only before the 43.
    Wax issued cards come with either INC or INC. in the copyright on back.
    Splatter Grand Slammer inserts---- have 13 splatter patterns (all players?) without the Black bar in back borders and 1 splatter with bar
    Splatter Base-1 variation with INC and 2 different splatter with INC. (all players?)
    Splatter All –Star---1 splatter variation of correct,INC -2 splatter variations of correct ,INC. -2 splatter variations of correct w/ INC.- 1 splatter variation of error,INC
    BC-12 Smoltz A- Glavine photo (mustache) B- Correct
    1 Bo Jackson A- Redone i in Diamond Kings B- Normal
    3 Ruben Sierra A- Small line in top back border B - No line
    10 Brian Downing A- Reverse Negative B- Correct
    15 Ozzie Guillen A- Red dot by foot on front B- No red dot
    18 Howard Johnson A- Bottom of 18 missing on back B- Normal C- Errant dashed line by upper left border on front
    20 Chris Bosio A- Errant dashed line by upper left border on front B- No errant dashed line
    24 Pete O’Brien A-Fuzzy red line in Diamond Kings flag with thin red line in Diamond Kings banner with whiteish line in banner B- Normal
    33 Juan Gonzalez A- Reverse Negative B- Correct
    67 Walt Weiss A-Break in stats border on back B- Full border
    100 Checklist A- 1-129 B- 1-125
    113 Kelly Gruber A- DOB Feb 22 B- DOB Feb 26
    154 Jesse Orosco A- Line under r on front B- Line behind r
    159 Andy Hawkins A-Check mark in upper left part of pic B-Airbrushed check mark
    168 Dale Murphy A- Half line thru D B- Normal
    170 Kirk Mccaskill A- DOB Apr 19 B- DOB Apr 9
    200 Checklist A- 130-231 B- 126-223
    206 George Bell A- G open loop B- G filled
    217 Scott Garrelts A- DOB Oct 20 B- DOB Oct 30
    233 Eric Davis A- E and r joined B- Normal
    240 Marty Barrett A-Nick in Black line above team name B- full line
    270 Gregg Jefferies A- Open G and J B- Filled G and J
    300 Checklist A- 232-333 B- 224-321
    321 Jeff Hamilton A- Solid top line B- Break 1/19 from right front
    347 Bip Roberts A- Line breaks B B- Normal
    368 Kirk Gibson A- DOB May 25 B- DOB May 28
    400 Checklist A- 334-435 B- 322-419
    405 Sergio Valdez A- Broken line thru S B- Normal
    408 Jeff Innis A- Mostly Red scratch B- Upper right scratch more White
    425 David Wells A- Leaf touches border B- Gap between Maple leaf and border
    500 Checklist A- 436-537 B- 420-517
    523 Andy Nezelek A- DOB ’85 B- DOB ‘65
    573 Lance Johnson A- Part of L missing in first name on front B-Complete L
    583 Kevin Hickey A- Black line thru thru K in Kevin B- Normal
    585 Jeff Pico A- A- Gap ¾ from right side B- Solid lower line
    600 Checklist A- 538-639 B- 518-617
    619 Shawn Hillegas A- A- Gap ¾ from right side B- Solid lower line
    637 Terry Steinbach A- Blue 1” scratch upper corner B- White 1” scratch upper corner
    639 Jack Morris A- Black line thru J in Jack B- Normal
    643 Mike Schmidt A- Large Black lines (factory set only) B- Small black lines
    650 Bo Jackson A- All Star,INC (no dot) B- All Star,INC.(dot) C-Recent M.L.,INC (no dot) D- Recent M.L.,INC. (dot)
    659 Nolan Ryan A- #665 back B- Correct back
    660 Harold Baines A- All Star….,Line thru star B- All Star……,No line thru star C- Recent M.L…..,Line thru star D- Recent M.L…….,no line thru star
    665 Nolan Ryan A- #659 back B- Correct back
    673 Ruben Sierra A- All Star,INC (no dot) B- All Star,INC.(dot) C-Recent M.L.,INC (no dot) D- Recent M.L.,INC. (dot)
    674 Pedro Guerrero A- All Star,INC (no dot) B- All Star,INC.(dot) C-Recent M.L.,INC (no dot) D- Recent M.L.,INC. (dot)
    692 Ryne Sandberg A- All Star,INC (no dot) B- All Star,INC.(dot) C-Recent M.L.,INC (no dot) D- Recent M.L.,INC. (dot)
    695 Eric Davis A- Recent M.L., E and r joined B- All Star,E and r joined C- All Star, E and r seperated
    699 George Canale A- G all White B- Line thru right loop,INC (no dot) C- Line thru right loop,INC. (dot)
    700 Checklist A- 640-BC26 w/716 B- No 716 C- 618-716
    701 Julio Franco A- All Star,Partial 19 in 1989 B- All Star,Normal C- Recent M.L.
    705 Tony Gwynn A- Recent M.L. Performance,INC. (dot) B- Recent M.L. Performance,INC (no dot) C- All Star
    708 Benito Santiago A- Recent M.L.,INC. (dot) B- Recent M.L.,INC (no dot) C- All Star
    715 Kevin Mitchell A- Recent M.L.,INC. (dot) B- Recent M.L.,INC (no dot) C- All Star
    716 A Bartlett Giamati A- Photo cropped lower B- Photo cropped 1mm higher Note- Card also found with no Black lines on back

imageimageimage