Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Good price for a 1975 Topps Set?

Have an oppurtunity to pick up a complete 75 Topps set in a binder. I had a chance to look at it in person - worst case the Brett and Yount are 8's. This collector has made the effort over the years to find very well centered examples of each card and most showing no chipping, I believe at least 4/5 the set would grade 7 or higher. Good many cards are looking like 9's possible 10's. $500 a fair price for a legit nm-mint set?

I know many of you are very knowledgable about this issue.

Thanks

Dave
Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
saucywombat@hotmail.com

Comments

• Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    $500 for a 1975T set as described would be a good deal for you imo.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $500 is about right for an 8-ish set with a few 7's and a few 9's. Solid 8 and up (nothing less than 8), maybe another hundred.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the input guys.
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I think 500.00 is a little high. I'd be surprised if all the cards are 8 and above.

Many may have dots etc, I'd have to look at the set really close before I'd shell out 5 bills.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    500 is a fine price. I price EXMT sets at $200 - 225 depending on the condition of the Yount/Brett/Ryan cards.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    9s are a beast to get in that set. I bet I have a 1:15 chance using my eye in discerning an 8 from a 9 after about 200 submitted. I've all but given up on submitting low pop commons. PSA seems to be really, really tough on them.

$500 is a steal if they're average 8s. Brett, Ryan, Yount, Aaron and Schmidt will make $500 if solid 8s; if any are 9s almost by themselves will make $500.

Problem is as Steve said, chances are they won't grade all 8.

-jake
  • Options
    If you are looking at getting it graded, your $500 set will become a $4000 purchase after you include grading fees and shipping costs. Therefore as far as a raw set, it might be a little high. Getting just the stars graded (pending they all come back @ 8 or better) - $500 is pretty close to where it should sell at. You'd be looking at 35-50 graded cards vice 660 reducing your additional investment from well over 3 grand down to about $300 or so. Knowing what you are going to do with it prior to purchase should be your #1 deciding factor.
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    Are you looking at this from a resale standpoint or do you want a really nice 1975 Topps set for your personal collection? I think $500 is a fair price if condition is as nice as you say and if it's for your personal collection. Speaking as someone who owns one and constantly upgrades it, I think $500 is a steal as well centered cards in NM/MT without noticeable fisheyes (or at least minor ones) are tough to find sometimes.
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    Looking to keep. Probably have the nicer ones graded. Of course if anything comes back that is of serious value - probably sell.

Thanks again for the expert input.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    I agree with those who say that if you're purchasing the set to keep, $500 is a great price for a nm-mt set. I built a very well centered, clean, raw nm-mt set card by card (and lot by lot) and according to my records, it cost me about $825.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Good many cards are looking like 9's possible 10's.

If that is the case, then 500.00 is fine. Probably a steal. The problem is, I have sent in cards that I thought were

lock 9's and they came back 7 and 7.5's.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a partially graded 1975 set, about 55 cards compromising most of the stars. The grades ranged from 7.5 to 9 with about 70% of the graded cards in SGC holders and the rest in PSA. The key stars were all 8-8.5-9. The raw cards were in a binder and there were still a bunch of grade worthy commons and semistars left.

I sold it on ebay for a little over $1100. That was about 18 months ago when the market was a lot better.
    Mike