Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Just finished watching Don Larsen's perfect game on ESPN Classic.

Big time fun to watch, several observations:

I did not know there was a full length telecast.

Vin Scully and Mel Allen did the broadcasting. Unreal that Scully is still at it.

Mantle hits a HR and makes a great catch. Awesome.

Sandy Amoros was within inches of hitting a tying HR.

Larsen went to the resin bag between almost every pitch.

All in all, really cool to watch!
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    who won? image
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Hi Ron,

I remember that game well! My father and I arrived at Yankee Stadium at the beginning of the 4th inning. We were so happy that we didn't miss anything to that point. Then, after 2 outs, Mantle stepped up to the plate and hit a solo bomb that was enough to win the game .... with a little help by Larsen ... lol

I just went back and viewed the video.

Thanks for the thread!
    PoppaJ

• Options
    Went to the resin bag on every pitch and toeing of the rubber was very weird too... did you notice that?
  • Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    In honor of

IWTDMBII
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen that broadcast on the MLB network. Some of the things that stuck out to me:

- the way the Yankees went "around the horn" - normal these days is to go 1B-SS-2B-3B-P; the Yankees went 1B-C-?? (can't remember). I've never seen a team throw to the catcher like that.

- how FAST guys got to the plate; as soon as somebody was out at first, the next guy was in the box and ready to go. SOOOOO different from a modern game.

Tabe
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you think? Was that last pitch really a strike?
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    According to the person who sold the film to MLB Network; the 1st reel is probably still in existence as well. That reel has the first of the two plays that saved the no-hitter (the ball caroming off Carey to McDougald who then fires to 1st just in time to nip Jackie Robinson)

And I could swear that I've seen highlights of that play and other plays from before the complete game kicks in. I think that would be cool to add that to the broadcast in the future.

Yes; baseball was different in the 1950's and so was how it was broadcast. Shoot; this weekend MLB Network has been replaying the 1980's All-Star Games and the players and the games are different from the 21st century game we currently know. And some of the players make you wonder how they ever got selected to a game!
    Plano, Tx. Card Show #5, Sunday March 6, 2016 at Adat Chaverim (Northeast Corner Independence and Spring Creek) in Plano Tx 9Am to 4 PM. See you there!
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    I caught it when they first aired it early this year and I've watched it a couple of times since.

Sal Maglie threw a great game, one that would have earned him a win most days.

Mantle made a great catch and so did Snider. It's easy sometimes to look at stills of those guys in those baggy flannels and discount their great athleticism. It was nice to see something so vibrant and immediate to give you a better feel for how it looked live.
  • Options
    69Cubs69Cubs Posts: 150 ✭✭
    Doak Ewing from RareSportsfilms found this game of all places at a fleamarket several years ago. What a find!! It's sad that almost all the games back then have been destroyed.

Mike