Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Calling all Mark McGwire Auto Experts

I received this from a friend of mine who knows I am a Cardinals fan. He received this cut signature from a collection of misc. cards and autographs from an auction house (I think it was Huggins and Scott, but I am not sure. To me, it looks like it comes from a sheet of paper with other autos on it (or at least, other writing, as you can see at the bottom). I do know that it is a Sharpie and not printed or stamped because it bleeds through to the reverse.

Anyway, I was just wondering if you McGwire experts could let me know if this is the real deal or not. It looks good to me, but I am not an expert on McGwire. Here it is.

Shane

Comments

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    looks legit to me
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    i'm no expert but it looks good
  • Options
    Its fake
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Its fake >>

Could you explain?

Shane

• Options
    McGwire hasn't signed an "a" in "Mark" that size since his very early A's days, and even when he did it was way more legible. His "a" in his autograph changed in about 1993; it either doesn't include the "a", or it is very small, or is just a dot that flows into the big loop in the middle of the autograph. The "loop" in the middle of the autograph is also not of the correct shape and fluidness, The starting point location of the second "M" is wrong, and the "g" is not proportioned correctly. McGwire dots the "i" in McGwire about 50% of the time and when he does, it is more towards the other end of the trailing finishing stroke.
  • Options
    In my opinion its not authentic.

Heres a good Mcgwire autograph Quiz
  • Options
    It's not consistent with Mark's signature. Mark's autos are much tighter than the yours, especially the "G" yours is very wide & looped, his normal "G" comes straight down & is much tighter. There are a lot more inconsistencies but it'll take too long to explain. The only to be 100% sure is to send it to PSA/DNA & have them authenticate the signature.
    Collector of Hawaii sports stars, celebs and everything else....
  • Options

<< <i>It's not consistent with Mark's signature. Mark's autos are much tighter than the yours, especially the "G" yours is very wide & looped, his normal "G" comes straight down & is much tighter. There are a lot more inconsistencies but it'll take too long to explain. The only to be 100% sure is to send it to PSA/DNA & have them authenticate the signature. >>

Not quite.

Having an item pass PSA/DNA does not make it 100% authentic.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It's not consistent with Mark's signature. Mark's autos are much tighter than the yours, especially the "G" yours is very wide & looped, his normal "G" comes straight down & is much tighter. There are a lot more inconsistencies but it'll take too long to explain. The only to be 100% sure is to send it to PSA/DNA & have them authenticate the signature. >>

Not quite.

Having an item pass PSA/DNA does not make it 100% authentic. >>

So true. In the past I have heard of forgers signing cards & the cards have gotten past an experts eye.
    Collector of Hawaii sports stars, celebs and everything else....
  • Options
    samspopsamspop Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭
    I would have to agree that it does not look legit. The signature seems to be from the late 90's/early 00's, but circling the "k" all the way around the "M" in McGwire seems to be inconsistent with his signature. It looks a bit too compressed side to side.

Here is a good one to compare it to...

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would have to agree that it does not look legit. The signature seems to be from the late 90's/early 00's, but circling the "k" all the way around the "M" in McGwire seems to be inconsistent with his signature. It looks a bit too compressed side to side.

Here is a good one to compare it to...

image >>

I think you have to take into account that the UD card was signed when McGwire was seated at a table signing in a controlled environment, as compared to the OP sig which was signed when he was bit more rushed...
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    The OP's sig in my opinion is not authentic.

if it passed ANY authentication service (PSA/DNA or JSA) I would like to personally talk to the one who decided.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I listed a Mark McGwire Regional Issue that was authenticated by PSA/DNA just today. You may want to try to compare the signatures.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable