Link to HOF announcement

And the nominees are:

Roberto Alomar, Kevin Appier, Harold Baines, Bert Blyleven,
Ellis Burks, Andre Dawson, Andres Galarraga, Pat Hentgen,
Mike Jackson, Eric Karros, Ray Lankford, Barry Larkin,
Edgar Martinez, Don Mattingly, Fred McGriff, Mark McGwire,
Jack Morris, Dale Murphy, Dave Parker, Tim Raines, Shane Reynolds,
David Segui, Lee Smith, Alan Trammell, Robin Ventura, Todd Zeile

My vote goes to Big Mac and Andre Dawson this year.

Comments

• Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Blyleven and Alomar.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Alomar, Raines, and Martinez
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Andre Dawson and Lee Smith
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Blyleven and Raines with a dark horse candidate McGriff.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My votes go for:

Alomar
    Blyleven
    Dawson
    McGriff
    McGwire
    Morris
    Murphy
    Raines

Steve
  • Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    All four of my votes go to Dale Murphy!
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Raines, Blyleven, and Alomar for sure. Let me think about Martinez and Larkin.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    i would be willing to wager that only Larkin and Alomar get in from that list this year.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Dawson was at 67% last year and if I am not mistaken no one that high the previous year has

always gotten in the following year.

Alomar is not going in the first time IMO.

I now think it will be Dawson and Blyleven.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Of that list, Blyleven & Dawson should gain entry this year with Alomar, Larkin, Martinez, McGriff, Morris, Murphy, Raines and Smith eventually getting in. Big Mac will maybe get in with the veterans committee, but never with the BBWAA.
  • Options
    Also would say Blyleven and Dawson. Can't see Alomar,Larkin or Mcgriff getting in the 1st time. Martinez may have some trouble as a DH, but he was an amazing hitter, and should get in at some time.
  • Options
    Hopefully the voters wake up and put Blylevn in.

Alomar deserves to go in, so does larkin. The Hawk may get in as well.

Dale murphy would get my vote, there is something to be said for dominating the NL for a decade AND being the classiest, nicest person on the planet.

McGriff gets in eventually.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    Bert Blyleven, finally
    Andre Dawson, finally

maybe, but i think no first time nominees get in

Roberto Alomar, i think they make him wait for the spitting incident
    Barry Larkin, eventually gets in
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 448 ✭✭✭
    I vote for Blyleven, Raines, Alomar, and Mattingly
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Blyleven, Dawson and Alomar for me.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I can't believe the disturbing lack of support for Larkin here. What am I missing? If this guy playd ofr the Yankees or Red Sox he would be an absolute stone cold lock.

He won a World Series
    Won an MVP
    Was a 12 time all star (11 before the roster expansion)
    Won 8 Silver Sluggers
    Won 3 Gold Gloves

My guess is that the ARod numbers at shortstop in the late 90's/early 00's make his power numbers look pedestrian, but hitting .295 for his career with a .815 OPS at the shortstop position in the National League with an MVP and a WS Ring to me says that he was the 1st or second best SS of the 90's (depending on when you think Cal Ripken declined and ARod rose). He's an EASY HOFer and should be in on the first ballot in my opinion.

As far as Alomar, I see the argument that the writers make him wait because of the spitting, but there is a convincing case to be made that this guy was a top 3 second baseman of ALL TIME, and should also be an easy first ballot HOFer

Career .300 AVG
    Career .814 OPS (at second base!)
    13 time All Star (before roster expansion)
    10 Time Gold Glove Winner
    4 time Silver Slugger
    2 World Series Rings

If you combine power (200+ HR) speed (400+ SB's) and defense (10X GG), this guy was the ultimate second baseman.

To me, Blyleven and Dawson are Hall of Very Good players (HOF cases can be made) but Larkin and Alomar are all time greats. Both played in smaller markets for the majority of the 90's and if they played in Boston, NY or LA would be locks for first ballot. They should both get in. Would be a shame if they had to wait even one year.
  • Options
    Dawson & Larkin.

Yes, i said "Larkin", as a lifelong Reds fan I have seen what Larkin has done both offensively & defensively & I believe that he has the numbers for the HOF.
    Collector of Hawaii sports stars, celebs and everything else....
  • Options
    Folks still do not get just how good Blyleven was. Check out his career numbers for K's Wins, Shutouts and complete games. his ERA and Whip are equally impressive for a guy who played on a lot of bad teams.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    i agree larkin should go in. but i don't know if he will get in on the 1st chance
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I think Dawson and Blyleven gets it this year with Larkin and Alomar getting close. I think Dave Parker picks up some votes (hopefully).
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Alomar's spitting incident will make him wait. I think he is easily the most deserving of all the candidates; but I think of the spitting incident, and we know how the sportswriters are. He actually may wait awhile. I was looking at Willie Mays' hall of fame percentages and like 20 voters did not vote for him. This may sound tough but if a candidate receives 90% of the vote and a voter did not vote for them, take away his voting rights.