Home Precious Metals
Options

What is the best way to purchase an ounce of gold?

I'm trying to find the cheapest way to get an ounce of gold.

I've read a lot here and am not sure of what is the least expensive, and best way to purchase. Should I buy a Buffalo, or American eagle? I'm assuming certified by PCGS or NGC would be preferred if I needed to sell later. Would ebay with bing cashback be the least expensive? I'm just looking to start with an ounce of bullion, no numismatic value. Looked at several online sites and they appear to be higher than I could find on ebay, if using cashback. Any help is appreciated.

Tony

Comments

• Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Go to a coin show. That way you can compare prices and see what you are buying.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    pm sentimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bring cash.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Try looking on the BST, that's what I did. I wouldn't worry about PCGS/NGC...if you're just buying bullion there's no need to have the piece certified.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    I've been buying pamp suisse and credit suisse 1oz bars on ebay with cashback. If you take your time you can usually end up at or below spot.

No matter what, buy what you like or you won't be happy with it.
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer BINs for American Arts Medallions (1980-1984) 1/2 and 1 ounce gold pieces. Using Bing, Ebay Bucks and Big Crumbs gets me well below melt.

edit for missing word
  • Options

<< <i>I've been buying pamp suisse and credit suisse 1oz bars on ebay with cashback. If you take your time you can usually end up at or below spot.

No matter what, buy what you like or you won't be happy with it. >>

Where does the money come from for the cashback payments?

Obviously not the buyer.

If the seller, he is getting shaffted royally.

If eBay, how do they make money by giving it away? Is it just a promotional/advertising expense for them? If so, it seems like an incredibly stupid business model.

I would appreciate someone explaining it to me.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I've been buying pamp suisse and credit suisse 1oz bars on ebay with cashback. If you take your time you can usually end up at or below spot.

No matter what, buy what you like or you won't be happy with it. >>

Where does the money come from for the cashback payments?

Obviously not the buyer.

If the seller, he is getting shaffted royally.

If eBay, how do they make money by giving it away? Is it just a promotional/advertising expense for them? If so, it seems like an incredibly stupid business model.

TD >>

To best of my knowledge the money for cashback comes from Microsoft. They are interested in getting buyers accustomed to using Bing as a search tool when shopping on the internet.
  • Options

<< <i>

TD >>

It's part of their advertising/marketing budget. As with many promotions a few items are sold as loss leaders. Usually, it is more than made up for with an increase in overall sales and market share. Take the example of big box stores that advertise a few loss leaders, to get folks into the store. Many of those folks will also load up on much higher margin products. A lot of folks get their cashback and spend more than they would have otherwise. It's the "free money" syndrome. I know I've been guilty of it with a coupon or promotion, buying stuff I would not have because there is some percentage off.

Only a small percentage of folks are buying coins or bullion. Many more are buying consumer electronics, or musical instruments, or DVDs or whatever. The increase in market share for the search engine means that Bing can charge higher click through rates.

Some more analogies are a double coupon on a consumer product, or a car dealer that advertised a stripped down car at a great advertised promotional price. A person may wonder how the product can be sold for a profit, given the promotion. Well, if everyone, everytime used the double coupon, and everyone only bought the stripped down promotional car, there probably wouldn't be much if any profit. However, only a small group is that penny-pinching. Same with the cash back, a few are getting deals, but the majority are buying other stuff, often lots of other stuff with their cashback.

Those getting the good deals often tell their friends about their great buys. The friends aren't diligent enough to get the same great deals, but instead only remember a vague story about a good place to shop, and buy other stuff at full margin. Advertising, coupons, loss leaders are all part of the game.

• Options
    Thanks to you both!
    TD
  • Options
    StupidStupid Posts: 558 ✭✭✭
    Thanks to all. I've purchased some, and will find a little more in the near future.

Tony
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Run for Congress

Take bribes in gold for influence

peddling. If you get caught, serve

time, get out and open a consultant firm.

Discover God, write a book and become a

motivational speaker.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭
    pay for it. There are several very good sites online APMEX.com being one of them
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV