Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is Fred McGriff a HOFer?

Arguments can be made for Alomar, Larkin, etc. but out of this year's first-time on the ballot class, he stands out to me as most deserving.

493 home runs look a lot better now than it did even 5 years ago. Take off the dopers from the all-time HR list from McGriff's era and few are at 500 HRs.
2500 hits (almost) so not just a HR guy.
1500+ RBI
30+ HR 10 times

Plus, by all accounts, a great guy on and off the field.

Comments

• Options
    was he roid-free?
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, he should be in the HOF.

I'd put him no higher than fourth on the most-deserving list though, after Bert Blyleven, Andre Dawson and Tim Raines.

Steve
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    at some point yes.... The Crime Dog!
  • Options
    doog71doog71 Posts: 405 ✭✭
    As far as anyone knows, he was roid-free I believe...
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't think so, although endorsing those crappy baseball instructional videos doesn't help his cause either!
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Now that Jim Rice made the hall, the field has opened up for guys like McGriff who were considered clean.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No way. One top 5 MVP finish in his entire career. Never hit 40 HR. Never reached 110 RBI. Not a good defensive 1B. Never considered one of the top players in baseball.

Fred could play for me any day - good guy who gave you nice, consistent performance. But he's in the Hall of Very Good for me.

Tabe
  • Options
    Fred is a better than quite a few HOF'ers and he will be better than some of the folks who go in after he is forgotten. you give him 7 more lousy dingers and he is a LOCK because he hits a magic number. Considering the roid heads and drug users lurking at the door to the hall. This guy should be welcomed with open arms. There are plenty of GOOD players in the HOF. Not everyone can be Ruth, Gherig and Williams.
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>was he roid-free? >>

Obviously. He could turn sideways in a rainstorm and not get wet.
    HOF? Not with today's criteria, possibly Old-Timers.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    McGriff is one of 3 people to have led each league in homers AND one of 3 to have hit 200
    in each league. The others are McGwire and I think Harry Hellman or someone like that.

Off the top of my head the other 200 in each league players are McGwire and Frank Robby.

493 dingers I think puts him in.

First ballot? I dunno bout that. Depends on who he is up against.

If the field is really thin he has a shot.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>McGriff is one of 3 people to have led each league in homers AND one of 3 to have hit 200
    in each league. The others are McGwire and I think Harry Hellman or someone like that.

Off the top of my head the other 200 in each league players are McGwire and Frank Robby.

493 dingers I think puts him in.

First ballot? I dunno bout that. Depends on who he is up against.

If the field is really thin he has a shot.

Steve >>

I would sum him up just like Steve did. Probably a HOFer but maybe not on the first ballot.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but not for a year or two.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    I certainly think McGriff belongs in the HOF. I doubt he'll go in on the first ballot, but he does belong. I don't think there will be a first timer elected in 2010. As far as the first-time eligibles, I think Alomar will get in first, followed by Larkin and McGriff. Edgar Martinez has a shot too, though I wouldn't vote for him. Now let's go Blyleven and Dawson!
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    McGriff is one of 3 people to have led each league in homers AND one of 3 to have hit 200 in each league.

that stat is not going to get him any votes, but I agree, it might take awhile for McGriff...more than a couple years. His most similar comp is Delgado.

5 All-Star appearances
    1 appearance in the Top 5 of MVP voting (#4 in 1993)

of course he also played most of his career in markets like TOR, ATL, SD, TB etc so that never helps for a player on the fringe, but he does have 1 ring from the '95 WS and a very strong .303/.385/.532 Post-season slash line in 218 career PAs.

You can see comparative stats here
    McGriff
  • Options

<< <i>Arguments can be made for Alomar, Larkin, etc. but out of this year's first-time on the ballot class, he stands out to me as most deserving.

493 home runs look a lot better now than it did even 5 years ago. Take off the dopers from the all-time HR list from McGriff's era and few are at 500 HRs.
    2500 hits (almost) so not just a HR guy.
    1500+ RBI
    30+ HR 10 times

Plus, by all accounts, a great guy on and off the field. >>

Look at the tag folks: "Major League Super Star" - not minor league and not a simple star.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    He's probably got a shot to get in a few years. Is he a lock? I don't think so, he was a real good player, but the hall of fame is for the best players. 493 home runs isn't as big a deal as it used to be.
  • Options
    I think he deserves to get in, but the BBWAA has very lofty standards for entry. He wasn't a player who (when he was active) had the image of a future HOFer, and that will hurt his chances. He never played in a market that has a large draw of HOFer's which will further hurt his chances. But he was an incredibly consistant player and a fringe HOFer. I hope he gets the call.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alomar and Larkin should be first ballot, so I can't see McGriff getting in this year in a tough ballot..

Edit: then again, the writers voted Joe Gordon as AL MVP over the Triple Crown winning Ted Williams, so anything's possible..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>493 home runs isn't as big a deal as it used to be. >>

It is when you did it clean.
  • Options

<< <i>Fred is a better than quite a few HOF'ers and he will be better than some of the folks who go in after he is forgotten. >>

If this is your argument, McGriff doesn't belong.

Tabe
  • Options
    doog71doog71 Posts: 405 ✭✭
    Check out the list of the top HR hitters during his "era" (late '80s and the '90s). McGriff is 4th highest on that list when you subtract admitted or strongly suspected juicers...

Bonds
    Griffey Jr.
    Sosa
    McGwire
    ARod
    Palmeiro
    Thome
    Ramirez
    Frank Thomas
    Gary Sheffield
    McGriff

I agree it'll be a challenge for him to get in since he wasn't a big name. His numbers aren't as good as Eddie Murray's were, but he reminds me of Murray in that people don't immediately think of him based on great stats alone. I don't think you have to be "dominant" or even as famous as the next guy to make the Hall. If McGriff had 7 more home runs this wouldn't even be a discussion...he'd be in for sure.

Text
  • Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭
    No. chaz
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>493 home runs isn't as big a deal as it used to be. >>

It is when you did it clean. >>

The better question: was he clean? Hate to think that way, since Fred McGriff was one of my favorite players. After Palmeiro admitted using steroids, you have to question almost any players these days. All in all, he still seems like a border line hall of famer.
  • Options
    I think he was clean simply because you do not see the spikes in stats that you see with the other guys.

No 56 home run season like Gonzo or Brady Anderson (50)

He stats generally flow like you would think they would, one abberation is a 30 home run season very late in his career

but that could be because he was on the Cubs and played 81 games at Wrigley.

When your name can be mentioned with Lou Gerhig I think you are in good company.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Only if they change the standards, good players should have a place also, like college b-ball, send him to the NIT.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    He stats generally flow like you would think they would, one abberation is a 30 home run season very late in his career

but that could be because he was on the Cubs and played 81 games at Wrigley.

Steve >>

In 2002 , Fred played a whole seaon with the Cubs. He hit 30 HRs with 11 coming at home.

He did hit 31 the year before , playing with Tampa Bay and the Cubbies.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    Sonny

Yes I know he played the whole season with the Cubs, I missed the previous yr. though
    seeing it was split between 2 teams, makes his case even better since the 30 he hit with the
    Cubs is not an abberation then.

Wish I knew how to spell 'aberation'

abbaration?

nope.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    it puzzles me just how clueless some of you are when it comes to evaluating players who are eligible or already in the hall of fame.

that list of sluggers is very telling:

Bonds: roid rage
    Griffey Jr. : drug free, legit, should have 700+ homers if not for injury
    Sosa: roids, clorox skin cleaner
    McGwire: poster boy for lying,
    ARod: embarassment
    Palmeiro: should be in jail
    Thome: legit slugger, reminds me of killebrew
    Ramirez: moron, liar and a cheat
    Frank Thomas: classy, legit
    Gary Sheffield: scum, roids, loser
    McGriff: classy, overlooked,
  • Options
    You forgot to add Delgado to the list.

He has 473 and should be playing (somewhere) next yr.

For the record I do not think he is a HOF'r

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>The better question: was he clean? Hate to think that way, since Fred McGriff was one of my favorite players. After Palmeiro admitted using steroids, you have to question almost any players these days. All in all, he still seems like a border line hall of famer. >>

I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to everyone who doesn't have a suspicious record or any credible allegation or proof against them. doog71 and VintageCardLover's lists are essentially in line with my thinking.

Of the many bad things 'roiders did, throwing off the record book is one of the very worst. That we have to pick through the debris of the all time HR list like this is reason enough for all of them to be held in disdain for many years.
  • Options

<< <i>Sonny

Yes I know he played the whole season with the Cubs, I missed the previous yr. though
    seeing it was split between 2 teams, makes his case even better since the 30 he hit with the
    Cubs is not an abberation then.

Wish I knew how to spell 'aberation'

abbaration?

nope.

Steve >>

Tabe
    aberration
  • Options
    It would be interesting if there were 2 leagues- a 'clean" league and everyone else. This way there could be a seperate set of stats and records. The steorids users make it harder for the non-steroid users to compete on a level playing field. Of course, this would never happen, but it's a thought.
  • Options

<< <i>You forgot to add Delgado to the list.

He has 473 and should be playing (somewhere) next yr.

For the record I do not think he is a HOF'r

Steve >>

Not sure if you thought McGriff is a HOF'er but Delgado's similiarity score at age 37 is closest to Mcgriff's.

McGriff, Delgado

Just go to the bottom of the page for similiarity scores. Delgado probably is more likely to have done steroids then McGriff. Not sure,though.
  • Options
    Yes I think he should, though not first ballot.

I was always a Crimedog fan growing up.

My old stepdad played against him a few times in Little League and Senior League.

Funny thing is when he played for TB, my new step grandmother was his housekeeper.

• Options
    dtsadtsa Posts: 235 ✭✭
    i say no.
    what about these stats from the same era.i am not saying that this guy should be in but they just arent enough.

??????
    Batting average .289
    Hits 2,866
    Home runs 384
    Runs batted in 1,628
  • Options
    Harold Baines should be in too.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    dtsadtsa Posts: 235 ✭✭
    good work. i dont see either with a bust anytime soon. i actually like baines better but i bet im in the minority.
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭
    No.

He's in the group of major leaguers who are as close as you can be, but just not HOF material.

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Real simple...

Fred McGriff should NEVER be considered until Gil Hodges is inducted!
  • Options
    al032184al032184 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭
    McGriff Batting
    .. A link to his batting stats

I think he will get in, not on the first ballot, but I think his consistency and presence in the game will get him inducted.
  • Options
    jamesryanbelljamesryanbell Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭
    I think he'll get in eventually.
    -- Ryan Bell
  • Options

<< <i>Harold Baines should be in too.

Steve >>

Aw come on. We're talking about a guy who was a DH for most of his career who put up pretty good - but nowhere near great - numbers for a slugger. Topped 25 HRs just ONCE. Topped 100 RBI three times. Led the league in just one category (SLG% in 1984). ONE top 10 MVP finish in his career. If you think a guy who put up .289/21/85 every year - without ever having a .320/35/120 season - is worthy of the HOF, then I dunno. Putting Baines in the HOF just lowers the bar, IMHO. If he'd been a stellar defensive 2B or SS, I'd listen. But a horrible defensive outfielder who played DH for the majority of his career? Not a chance.

Tabe
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I don't know where people are getting the thought that McGriff wasn't considered a great player or potential HOF? He played for the Braves and was their best hitter for alot of years during their huge playoff runs. He was a AS most of those years as well. He was very consistent for them and until he left was on a HOF path and it was assumed he'd hit 500 HRs. I think because he played out his final few years in obscurity people just forgot how good he was with the Braves.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options

<< <i>I don't know where people are getting the thought that McGriff wasn't considered a great player or potential HOF? He played for the Braves and was their best hitter for alot of years during their huge playoff runs. He was a AS most of those years as well. He was very consistent for them and until he left was on a HOF path and it was assumed he'd hit 500 HRs. I think because he played out his final few years in obscurity people just forgot how good he was with the Braves. >>

He only played with the Braves for 4 1/2 years. He also played teams for like the Rays,Bluejays, and Padres, not really sure why that matters? Being the best player on your team isn't the same as being a hall-of-famer.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    McGriff's career reminds me of Steve Garvey in terms of impact. You could even argue that Garvey had a more meaningful career (1974 MVP) and no one is beating the drum for Garvey.

I think Dawson gets in this year due to the Jim Rice factor. Raines may have to wait a little longer due to his coke (not cola) issue.
    Mike
  • Options
    I would say that McGriff was no different that other baseball players of the steroid era... His stats show the typical increase to the late twenties and declines through the thirties... however, he suddenly gets a 4 year spike starting at Age 35, coincidentally 1999 when roids were spiking in baseball...

Homerun totals by age.
    Age 27 31
    Age 28 35
    Age 29 37
    Age 30 34
    Age 31 27
    Age 32 28
    Age 33 22
    Age 34 19

Age 35 32
    Age 36 27
    Age 37 31
    Age 38 30
  • Options
    Back to Baines I guess being 28th all time in RBI's means nothing to some people.

I suppose having 2800+ hits means nothing as well.

Who cares that he never led the league in anything.

CONSISTENCY is what he was all about.

As for being a crappy outfielder I disagree their too.

Early on he was a pretty decent one.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Real simple...

Fred McGriff should NEVER be considered until Gil Hodges is inducted! >>

LOL at the thought of Hodges being more deserving than the Crime Dog.

I would not vote for either, but McGriff is closer. I would not vote for Dawson, Morris, Rice or Sutter. I would vote for Raines, Blyleven, Santo, and Trammell. Unfortunately (for me) my opinion is worth squat.
  • Options

<< <i>Back to Baines I guess being 28th all time in RBI's means nothing to some people.

I suppose having 2800+ hits means nothing as well.

Who cares that he never led the league in anything.

CONSISTENCY is what he was all about.

As for being a crappy outfielder I disagree their too.

Early on he was a pretty decent one.

Steve >>

Don't really see baines as a Hall-Of-Famer. He was a solid player and was very consistent, but hall of fame? He got very few MVP votes,never led the league in anything, not the type of player that should be in the hall.
    The Hall-Of-Fame is for the absolute best players, not the very good players.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He got very few MVP Votes >>

MVP votes???????? Really can you come up with a more subjective measurement? Your saying if a guy was the 5th best player in the league for 15 consecutive years he wouldn't be a HOFer?
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set