Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Question on Canadian Coins

I am very new to collecting non-US Mint coins. My daughter and I have fun collecting our ASE Dansco and are looking to start a series or two from the Royal Canadian Mint. We are attracted to the following series:
Silver Maple Leaf BU Series
Colored Silver Maple Series
Crystal Snowflake Series
I would like to stick to the SML series however my daughter is very excited about the colored maple leaf and snowflake coins. My question is what do you think about the three series in relation to ease of buying and the retention of value over the years. It would be my hope that my daughter would continue collecting, she is 15. I know it is important to collect what you enjoy and will listen to any advice from you. It has been fun collecting with my daughter and really enjoy watching her get excited when a new coin arrives.
Thank you for your help,
Robert.
Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.

Comments

• Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Collecting coins that you are attracted to and made with metal that has intrinsic value is a winning combination. That is what started me with my gold bullion coins and am pleased to have savings/appreciation associated with my collection. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    Hi Robert,
    Seems all of those series are readily available. Retention of value IMO is secondary to the joy your daughter gets when a new coin arrives. If she enjoys those series perhaps she would also like some other bullion related series such as Britannias, Lunars etc...
    I'm so glad to hear you are able to share and enjoy your hobby with your daughter. My daughter (21) also shares my hobby and will someday inherit my collection and hopefully will continue to enjoy it after I'm well.. gone.... image
    Point is you two are having fun and that's what it's all about!
    Jim