Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Is this a genuine pcgs holder?

Is this coin genuine? Thanks for the help.

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    I don't know if the holder is genuine or not, but the coin looks suspicious to me.

Here is a real one for comparison.
    "Think of the Press as a great keyboard on which the Government can play" – Joseph Goebbels

"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media" - William Colby, former CIA director
  • Options
    danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭
    Chinese counterfeiters will use a number from a real coin in the PCGS database on their reproductions, so don't use the number on the slab to establish authenticity. image
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."
  • Options
    IMO that is a counterfeit slab. Label looks off, can;t see the 4 circles around the capsule, bars rather tall, numbers rather small. I wouldn't be too surprised if the barcode reads "Broccoli with beef". If the seller is in Asia... no brainer. The coin itself looks a bit odd, the grass leaves on the left are weak, but nothing else in the area is. Tires show a rim, no other coin I could find seemed to have "mag wheels". Could be that there are diff. dies.. but I'd personally wouldn't go for it if it were off ebay. Seller in USA is not a guarantee, plenty of people buy them there and sell 'em here.
    Coinborg: Your distinctive coins will be added to my collection.
    BS&T image : kryptonitecomics, PCcoins (2x), Spoon (7x), Coppercolor, Preussen (2x), Filamcoins, agentjim007, CB2597, DCW, 1960NYGiants
    Ebay: + <waitin'> NEG: Chameleoncoins
    NonBST/Ebay: image Rick's Coins
    WTB: Toners, BU Darkside, Sovs & 20 Mark, LMU/SMU Gold.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Chinese counterfeiters will use a number from a real coin in the PCGS database on their reproductions, so don't use the number on the slab to establish authenticity. image >>

In the same grade? I didn't check this one, but it appears that an XF40 Auto dollar corresponds to this cert. number. If we can't trust the cert numbers, how can we tell a fake slab from a real one? image

Lynch, the Goldberg example that you linked is the nicest auto dollar I've seen to date and it might well exceed the estimate. Edited to add that I just saw it's already sold.

The auto dollar, as a world classic coin, is a bit like the Greek 1828 phoenix. It never sells for less than a 4 figure sum, no matter its condition. So, the price of a VF20 and that of an MS62 (for the phoenix) aren't that far away as one might imagine. In the auto dollar's case I have yet to see an MS, and choice AUs are also rare, so if I wanted to purchase one, I'd go for a pleasing example like the Goldberg lot, and I'd like to get it from a shop, dealer or auction house with a solid reputation.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    BS&T image : kryptonitecomics, PCcoins (2x), Spoon (7x), Coppercolor, Preussen (2x), Filamcoins, agentjim007, CB2597, DCW, 1960NYGiants
  • Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a fake coin in a fake PCGS holder.
  • Options
    I also posted the same question US forum and couple of people said it is fake.
  • Options

<< <i>IMO that is a counterfeit slab. Label looks off, can;t see the 4 circles around the capsule, bars rather tall, numbers rather small. I wouldn't be too surprised if the barcode reads "Broccoli with beef". If the seller is in Asia... no brainer. The coin itself looks a bit odd, the grass leaves on the left are weak, but nothing else in the area is. Tires show a rim, no other coin I could find seemed to have "mag wheels". Could be that there are diff. dies.. but I'd personally wouldn't go for it if it were off ebay. Seller in USA is not a guarantee, plenty of people buy them there and sell 'em here. >>

coinnuttius, You are good. Thanks for share your knowledge with the board.
  • Options
    No problemo. In general buying expensive coins off ebay is a gamble I'd not be prepared to participate in unless the dealer is well established/reputable.. and I do not mean the "feedback" number. Feedback is given by people who would buy that coin and be happy with it.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This looks very similar to what I saw coming out of China last year. There was an influx of counterfeit slabs and coins with the same appearance to them. I'm not an expert in that series, but the coin itself displays a lot of questionable attributes. I would pass on this, personally, and send the link with the auction to PCGS.
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Good info and thanks for the link, I'd been meaning to educate myself on fake slabs for a while now image

BTW, jt, I like your icon.. forgot I made that one imageHere's the rest of the note it came from
  • Options
    This thread has me wondering if this one is ok ? I can see the 4 circles around the capsule which dont really show in the photo.The hologram on the other side looks ok but i see little difference in letter size , any comments appreciated.

• Options
    How much is your coin cost? If it is less than $100, I doubt they would fake it. The coin I posted cost 2k to 3K.
  • Options
    Thanks for that JT88 , im safe enough then hopefully.Its getting pretty scary when even slabbed coins are suspect.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This thread has me wondering if this one is ok ? I can see the 4 circles around the capsule which dont really show in the photo.The hologram on the other side looks ok but i see little difference in letter size , any comments appreciated.

image >>

Those four circles are marks from the ejector pins. Additionally, both halves (front and back) are gated on the outside edges; the rough patch which should be noticable on the right side is the sprue mark (this is where the molten plastic is actually injected in the mold cavity). The right side sprue is about 40% up from the bottom most like to balance the flow profile, and minimize the cycle times. The sprue for the back piece is under the front and is essentially melted from the u/s process.

The circular viewing areas are also most likely chrome plated in the mold (gives it a consistent glassy look), and the rough, grainy areas on the front and back are textured with a specific Rawal standard, but I won't tell you the exact number. image

• Options
    Thank you Mac , that is crystal clear.It wasnt so much the coin i was worried about being duff , it was the slab that had me worried.On reading your description im now positive its ok.All the attributes given are present.
    I do like the coin , i like to collect privy marked bullion,being slabbed makes it a bit special for me , thanks everybody.
  • Options
    Don't bid on this guy guy's (kek021709) chinese coins. The PCGS are fake but I am not sure about the ANACS. I found all private listing means questionable coin. All the fakes that I bought are in private listing.

• Options
    "Think of the Press as a great keyboard on which the Government can play" – Joseph Goebbels

"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media" - William Colby, former CIA director
  • Options
    Anyone knows what MSRB and MSBN means for PCGS graded coin. For example MSRB64 and MSBN64. Thanks.
  • Options
    RD = Red
    RB = Red/Brown
    BN = Brown

Successful BST transactions with:CollectorsCoins, farthing, Filacoins, LordMarcovan, Duki, Spoon, Jinx86, ubercollector, hammered54
    LochNess and ProfHaroldHill

• Options

<< <i>RD = Red
    RB = Red/Brown
    BN = Brown >>

Muygrandeoso, Thanks a lot.
  • Options
    PhotoguyPhotoguy Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    One thing to look for as well that has not been mentioned. Under a glass look at the holograph image on the back. We found in several examples that there are several misspelled words in the holograph image.
    Numismatic Photographer for Superior/Ira & Larry Goldberg since 1990, Photographer of THE TYRANT COLLECTION one of the greatest collection ever formed.
  • Options
    The barcode doesn't appear to match the PCGS cert#. Tomorrow I will confirm one way or the other (using software I wrote at work to print barcodes). Then I will edit this post with an update.

Since there is repetition of "11", "33" and "88" in the number "115780.40/13363881", you should be able to detect the repeated barcode segments for those numbers. I could work it out manually, but there exists more than a single barcode method, and I don't won't to spend that much time when I can quickly check tomorrow.

I will also scan/read the barcodes on several of my own PCGS certified coins in order to verify that the barcode is actually the PCGS cert# that is encoded.
  • Options
    How about this one? There are so many fake coins out there, it is very difficult to tell on some of the the them

Text