Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1954 topps baseball

Hi i'm new to the forum. I started a 1954 topps baseball set a few months back and was just wondering if anyone else here is currently working on this set. It'd be nice to make some purchases from anyone that has any extra cards. I'm trying to complete the set in psa 7 and 8's. Just hit 32.8 percent completion today. I'd be more then happy to post some scans if anyone's interested.

Comments

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    welcome. i would love to see some of them

nice start to the set.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Welcome Vet. Good luck with your set. I am sure you will get access to quite a few cards from fellow board members.

EDITED TO ADD: ........... POST NUMBER 3,500 .........
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    backbidderbackbidder Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    I have about 50-60 available in PSA 8. I see your set is mostly 7's, so let me know if you want to consider getting some more 8's.
  • Options
    I love the classic 1954 set. At one point a couple years ago I had my set up to 80% complete in a Psa 8. The low pop commons were expensive and tough to locate.

unfortunately, I sold my set intact to a vintage collector last year.

Good luck with your set!!!!
  • Options
    jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    vettfanatic,

I am also working on this set and have a number of PSA 7s available. Send me your email to jeff58@sbcglobal.net and will get you the list.

Jeff
  • Options
    vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Hi backbidder thanks for replying. Yes i'd definitely be interested in those 8's if the prices are right. Let me know what you have and some prices that your looking for.
  • Options
    backbidderbackbidder Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    Give me your email or turn your PM on.
  • Options
    I'm down to 8 cards to finish this set up in straight PSA 7 NQ. 4 are going to cost more than I want right now but the other 4 are on my list. Does anybody have these available:

I have the following available if anybody needs them:

Learn some history of the game. Join a vintage base ball team in your area and get out there.
    Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets
  • Options
    Well thanks to board members (jeff8877) Jeff and (backbidder) Brian i'm now up to 40.4 % complete at a 7.22 rating. Here's some scans of my favorites from this set. I love those old Milwaukee Braves!

• Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if PSA distinguishes between the preview cards that were inserted into the Sports Illustrated, and the basic set? The way to distinguish between the two was the green on the back didn't extend to the edge on the right of the SI cards.

Edit: I believe it was the first or second issue of SI all-time that had the sheets of cards in it. If I'm wrong here please correct me.
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Alright I looked into it a bit. Both the first and second issues had cards in them.

The first had 27 cards in it:

The second had 9. All Yankees, 4 of which were black and white:

• Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Congrats! One of my favorite sets of all-time. Your cards look great; good luck on completing the set!
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    Just thought i'd post an update to this thread. I'm still working on this set. Just hit 57.6 % completion with a rating of 7.323 Here's a couple of my latest pick ups.
    So is there anyone else here still working on a 54 set or anyone new that has recently started one?

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Vet-
    Love the set and I have been working on mine for about a year. I have a raw set and then I have about 1/2 the set in PSA 7/8's. nothing beats a nice conditioned 1954 Topps card.

Good luck
    Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Everyone distinguishes between the magazine paper stock and the basic set cardboard stock. SI did again in two 55 issues with that set. The second 54 issue is unique with the Yankees that never were.
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    natetrooknatetrook Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    Hello 1954 collectors,

I am about to break up a complete 1954 Topps set in PSA-7 and PSA-8 condition.
    I can fill all wantlists. Scans can be provided. Will be listing the set on E-Bay, but I will fill wantlists before it's listed.
    Please LMK what you need, and I will try to fill them for you.
    This is the most beautiful Topps set ever....
    Nate

natetrook on E-Bay
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I'm slowly working on this set. Was the underbidder on a few today.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    It's good to see some fellow collectors are working on such a great set. I'd love to see some scans if anyone wants to share. Natetrook I sent you a PM about your cards.
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    I'm working on it too. I completed my raw set several years ago, then decided to send in the sharpest ones for grading. Lots of 7s and 6s, one 8. Slowly trying to complete it in all 7s. I have a 1953 Topps Podres RC PSA 8 with a VCP average of $1800 that I would love to use in a trade.
  • Options
    benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    this is probably my fave set of the 50's so far i have about 45 of them 16 signed, i am really just trying to get a completly signed set...
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options

<< <i>this is probably my fave set of the 50's so far i have about 45 of them 16 signed, i am really just trying to get a completly signed set... >>

Good luck with your signed set. That would be quite a feat! Lets see some scans of those 16 that you currently have.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    I am not super familiar with the '54 set, but had a question for this forum. I have some key cards from '54 Topps that I'd like to purchase for some player registgry sets that I have. I've located some cards that I really like, but they are SGC 84. What are the odds these would cross into PSA at a 7 grade? Is PSA any pickier than SGC on this set/era? Thx for advice.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Odds are decent of a SGC 84 crossing to a PSA 7 as long as it meets PSA's centering requirements (SGC is looser about centering). However, is it financially worthwhile crossing them - many common PSA 7s go for $20 or less, and there isn't much reason to pay more to get a SGC 7 and cross it to a PSA 7 instead of just buying the PSA 7.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    The big issue is centering.
    I have had cards cross after cracking SGC holders, but they must be well centered,
    or you run the risk of an OC qualifier.
    SGC-84 often have great focus and corners, but have been downgraded due to centering.

Nate
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing that wisdom, guys. Centering appears to be no worse than 65/35 on either of them, so should be OK there. Would you suggest cracking and re-subbing instead of just mailing them to PSA in the SGC holders?
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options
    Would always crack and resubmit.
    I have never had success on crossover from other holders.
  • Options

<< <i>Would always crack and resubmit.
    I have never had success on crossover from other holders. >>

Thats kind of what I thought. Thanks.

• Options
    Last question for the forum-

Is there typically a wide spectrum of color shades on the backgrounds of most 54s? I've noticed on the Aarons that some have a really dark rich orange hue, whereas most have a lighter orange background. Is there a story behind this (different print runs?) or am I just looking at bad scanner photos?

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    I have a real nice 54 set with some graded however not what you are looking for grade wise.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    ghooper33ghooper33 Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭
    I love this set for autographs! I have no real aspirations of completing this set, but I love to thumb through my signed ones.

Here are some selected pics (sorry for the rushed scans):

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit.” -Aristotle
  • Options
    benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    if you ever decided to sell any of your signed 54's let me know!!! i love the signed pafko myself, i have one also.
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2