Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1959 topps set found in high grade

What a Thanksgiving gift I received last night. I purchased an incomplete set of 1959 Topps in very high grade. I have so far pulled around 100 that will be PSA 8 or higher. Can someone shead some light for me on which ones to look for in high grade? The set does not have very many of the high numbers to it but it has most all of the stars (Mantle, Mays, Aaron, Kaline) . The stars are ex or ex mt and the commons are ex to mint. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Shane
Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases

Comments

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    Bob Gibson rookie.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice... got scans?
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Yes the Gibson rookie is in the set. I forgot that one. I am out of town for the holidays but I will try to get scans out later this week.

Shane
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Great Set.GOOD LUCK!!

Looking for Graded PSA Warren Spahn born 1931 clear 3 PSA 6 or 7 SMR+
    Looking for Graded psa 7 or 8 Fred Kipp.1959 Topps will pay SMR+.
    Looking for graded psa 6 Ralph Lumenti No Option SMR+
    Looking for psa 7 0r 8 Hanebrink WITH TRADE.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Besides the HOFers and rookies (Mantle, Gibson, Killebrew, Cash, etc.), these would be ones to look for in high grade:

572 Billy Pierce AS
    1 Ford Frick
    104 Del Rice
    222 Bobby Shantz
    250 Billy O'Dell
    519 Infield Power
    300 Richie Ashburn
    11 Billy Hunter
    105 Lee Walls
    178 Ruben Amaro
    282 R.C. Stevens
    45 Andy Carey
    8 Phillies Team Card
    500 Vic Wertz
    445 Cal McLish
    548 Elmer Singleton
    74 Directing the Power
    183 Stu Miller
    92 Dave Philley
    271 Orlando Pena
    471 Tom Sturdivant
    223 Cardinals Team Card
    199 Leo Kiely
    115 Mickey Vernon
    237 Run Preventers
    286 Dean Stone
    293 Ray Moore
    212 Fence Busters
    90 Bill Skowron
    61 Dick Brown
    80 Minnie Minoso
    238 Gene Baker
    195 Rip Repulski

In addition, any of the high numbers (All-Star cards in particular) would bring in quite a bit in PSA 8. Nice find!

• Options
    also 519 infield power and any yankees
    In the USA all men are created equal but some are more equal than others....
  • Options
    thanks guys. I have five of them off your list that should PSA 8 Bob.

Shane
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice raw find...image

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    I actually was visiting my in-laws in another state and went to a card shop. Another collector and I began to discuss making sets in high grades. He told me that he was trying to sell some of his 50's sets that were too far away from being completed. I told him the next time I come up here I would look at his stuff. He said would you like to look at the incomplete 1959 set now? I told him yes hesitantly knowing that this set was going to be a typical ex or worse condition from this guy. The first page of nine cards had three vg cards (1,5,7) and cards (2,3,4,8,9) were the typical ex to exmt quality, however card #6 was unbelievable. The card was mint all the way. I went about three pages before I saw another mint type card while the others from #10-36 were either mint but OC or exmt type cards. At the time I was pretty excited about the fact I found a guy with cards that were nice fillers for my set and the chance to make some money with a couple of the star cards. I flipped through the set briefly recognizing that there were probably 40 cards that would PSA 8 or better.
    When I got home from the shop I was really looking forward to breaking the set out and looking at the cards one by one. To my shock my family wanted to do Thanksgiving that night because we were all there. So my set sat in a chair from 6:00-11:30PM with me looking over at it about once a minute while playing cards and talking with my family. Pretending I was so interested in the conversation to please my wife while all along thinking "what the hell is in that set?" Everyone finally decides to go to bed and I had to hit the bed too because I had workout at 9:00 with my trainer.
    The next day after running around for the first 7 hours of my day. I finally get some time to myself to view over the cards. I could not believe what I was seeing. Most all the cards from #100-500 were gorgeous. Many of them had mint qualities but had either a gum stain on the front or off-centered. The commons were so nice that I never pulled the star cards out to look at them until the next day. The Clemente will either 7 or 8. The Gibson and Mantle will 6. The Banks would 10 if it was not o/c. Cards #500 and on were just average. There were not many of the cards from this series (probably 4-5 cards per page). A couple of cards would grade PSA 8 or higher from this series.
    I am going to fire sell the 250+ cards today if anyone is interested in the left overs. If anyone is making a raw set and wants some cards PM me.

Shane

Later,
    Shane
  • Options
    The 250 cards are sold. I will keep everyone updated on the high grade material.

Shane
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Shane, what a great find and fun story. I can not think of much that would be more thrilling than to find a new set of 1959's. Congrats!!
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Nice story... would be nice to know what % of Beckett was paid, that little extra info. always makes the story more interesting!!!
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice story... would be nice to know what % of Beckett was paid, that little extra info. always makes the story more interesting!!! >>

Yeah what happened between "hey would you like to see my incomplete set" to "when i got home from the shop i wanted to break the set out"?
  • Options
    Topps29Topps29 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    Nice Find! I wish deals like yours would come to CT.
  • Options
    Would still like to see some scans...
  • Options

Here are some goodies I just picked up to upgrade my set.

Tony 59er
  • Options
    The 59 set has been my passion over the years.I have sold many cards and lesser set justs to be able to obtain some of my higher grade stars,low #s and High #s.Would like to obtain the few variations I have in grade 6 or lower I think 6 cards or so (SEE MY CHILD HOOD MEMORIES)59 Master Set #12 on registery current.I would consider raw if I thought they would stand a chance to be upgraded from what I have.Also have an intrest in some of your leftover 59s.

Tony
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    That Sawatski's a toughie! Nice!
  • Options

<< <i>That Sawatski's a toughie! Nice! >>

It certainly is I started out with a 6 went to a 7 then found a very good deal on this 8 afterwords.Put the 6 & 7 out for sale and they did not last long at all.