Home Precious Metals
Options

Sri Lanka buys 10 tonnes of gold

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
It was the third IMF sale of gold in a month as the Washington-based institution seeks to reduce its dependence on lending revenue and bolster its finances amid the global economic crisis.

Sri Lanka "diversify's its reserves" amid volatile currency markets but refused to reveal from which sources the bank was buying the gold or at what prices.
We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    This is legal? I thought countries were forbidden from borrowing from the IMF in order to buy gold.
    Salute the automobile: The greatest anti-pollution device in human history!
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sri Lanka has the 78th largest GDP in the world. Behind such notables as Oman and the Dominican Republic. In comparison California would be number 8 if they were a country. That's a 'ton' of gold for a relatively small and poor country. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......