Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Nearly one third of the proof 1960 LG/SM date proof cents will come to auction

10 of the 31 Proof specimens in various grades are coming up for auction all at once at FUN. Depending on the grade, it’s a $300- $600 coin. Will this many specimens bring that value down ???? What sez you?

WS
Heritage auction listing
Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.

Comments

• Options
    Yes. Will have a "depressing" effect on prices in the short term.

How I long for the days I bought 3 67's for $125 each off the BST board. image

Better Link?
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    I got my 1960LD/SD proof in PR67RD from Ebay back in 2006 for $715. PCGS lists it at over $1K today at retail. Back then it got me to 100% complete and I was very happy to get one. Today, I am just as happy to own mine. Will this sale knock down the value of these proof varieties? Possibly. Does it REALLY matter in the big picture? I'm sure it matters to some. Fortunately it doesn't matter that much to me since I am very happy with mine. JMHO. Steveimage
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With over 450 Lincohn cent lots, if I read it right, would attract quite a few collectors so they might do surprisingly well.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    I believe that there is an impact when there are multiple listings of proofs at the same grade. The best example of quality within the grade goes for better than average money and the others go for far less than normal. It is a good time if you want to buy the holder.

(May be off topic but - ) Stock market dynamics may drive the auction prices lower. The current issue with Dubai debt is panicing the equity markets especially since stocks have been on a bull run. People may seek the exits faster this time than last year given we are experienced with impact of financials on our investment. Coins just have a tough time in this environment.

Dave
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>10 of the 31 Proof specimens in various grades are coming up for auction all at once at FUN. Depending on the grade, it’s a $300- $600 coin. Will this many specimens bring that value down ???? What sez you?

WS
    Heritage auction listing >>

I just checked the PCGS pop report on 1960 LD/SD and SD/LD proof cents. There are far more than 31 graded for each of these varieties. But irregardless, having someone auction off 10 at one time tells me he has accumulated a small hoard and has given up on them. I would think he would put them up one at a time and see how it goes. I also note these are all the new PCGS labels WITHOUT the coin numbers and WITH the FS number. (ie) graded or relabeled in the last three years. Bottom line is that this variety is still fairly scarce with only 92 graded of the LD/SD variety and 173 graded of the SD/LD variety. Lincoln cent PROOF coin collectors need this coin for their collection. If they don't currently own one, now may be the best time to go after it, particularly the LD/SD variety. JMHO. Steveimage
  • Options
    At one point I had accumulated 8 sm/lg, 2 lg/sm, and the first 2 tdo. totaling 12 coins all either purchased raw
    or cracked out of other holders and submitted raw. My first submission here yielded the first 2tdo recognized
    by PCGS.