Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

I think GEM British Trade Dollars may be undervaled

I estimated between pcgs and ngc a little over 200 coins in 65 or better all dates.

That doesn't seem like very many.

Anyone have a GEM 65 or better to show?
I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are they undervalued compared to other gem British coins of the same era?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are they undervalued compared to other gem British coins of the same era? >>

not necessarily, I just think for a large silver crown size coin of that era there doesn't seem to be many gems.......

• JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    They are tough in 65, but compared to Edward VII silver, not so rare. Trying to put together a gem set would be quite the undertaking though.
  • kruegerkrueger Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Years ago Don Ketterling (of superior galleries now) used to deal and specialize in these British trade dollars (BTD's).
    I used to get his lists at the time.

He surely has alot of knowledge about the series.

Krueger
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Or it could just be that since it's not a widely-collected series (compared to regular circulating coinage), there haven't been as many sent for certification.

I think you have to be careful extrapolating low PCGS and NGC populations into scarcity when it comes to world coins, as slabbing isn't nearly as popular with the world coin collecting crowd, especially overseas collectors and dealers.

I have (or had) quite a few coins where there were only 1-2 coins in the populations, but they certainly were not scarce or rare coins in high grade, just not many sent in for certification.

The other potential factor is that NGC's populations are horrifically incomplete. When my world coin collection was at its peak, a full 30% of the NGC coins in my possession didn't appear in the population reports.
  • HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    coinpictures stole my thunder!!!!!

world coin pops for US TPGs? only a curiosity but I wouldn't make any bets based on 'em

<< <i>Or it could just be that since it's not a widely-collected series (compared to regular circulating coinage), there haven't been as many sent for certification.

I think you have to be careful extrapolating low PCGS and NGC populations into scarcity when it comes to world coins, as slabbing isn't nearly as popular with the world coin collecting crowd, especially overseas collectors and dealers.

I have (or had) quite a few coins where there were only 1-2 coins in the populations, but they certainly were not scarce or rare coins in high grade, just not many sent in for certification.

The other potential factor is that NGC's populations are horrifically incomplete. When my world coin collection was at its peak, a full 30% of the NGC coins in my possession didn't appear in the population reports. >>

that could be.............I just haven seen many true gems slabbed or raw.they ofteh come baggy and there are a ton in lower grade unc

• One problem with British trade dollars are that they were extensively used in Chine and they are still coming out of China in large numbersimage

• << <i>One problem with British trade dollars are that they were extensively used in Chine and they are still coming out of China in large numbersimage >>

Obviously, NOT in Gem condition.
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uhh, actually they likely are and are called "counterfeits" (oops, modern recreations)...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, there is the under-reporting issue, but with these I'm inclined to believe that pop reports aside, true gems really are pretty tough. That said, I do think that they are probably underappreciated, but maybe not totally undervalued. There is certainly room for growth in their prices, but with the wide availability of lower UNCs, I think you'll see more people just settle for those - and most commonly only one of those for the type, rather than a date set. With that dynamic I'm not sure there is enough demand for perfection to drive the prices for gems too far up. But it only takes a handful of determined, deep pocketed collectors to prove me wrong!
    I think they have tripled or more in value since this post.

• MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think they have tripled or more in value since this post. >>

Would this thread be considered, painting the tape? imageimage

<< <i>

Would this thread be considered, painting the tape? imageimage >>

Could be.....but I don't own any gem 65 or better trade dollars....have you seen what they bring on ebay when they come up?

I think the chinese are buying them.image

• MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Would this thread be considered, painting the tape? imageimage >>

Could be.....but I don't own any gem 65 or better trade dollars....have you seen what they bring on ebay when they come up?

I think the chinese are buying them.image >>

I think you are correct. Chinese coins were akin to pink sheet stuff 5-6 years ago, and now they are untouchable..........unless you want to enter a parabolic bid.....CRAZY STUFF!
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    while the design is attractive, gems are not that common- what is the number graded in 65 if 1925, 1929 and 1930 are excluded? I suspect it will drop significantly

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.