Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Friends don't let friends drink and bid...:+)

This happened on Ebay a couple of years ago.

I was trying to complete a Beswick porcelain set of figurines from the Beatrix Potter series. Beautiful little pieces,
all with neat Beatrix Potter stories behind them, for the grand kids.

I was missing a little Scottie dog carrying a basket, part of the series, and hadn't run into one on Ebay for
several months

Finally one came up and I put in a reasonably strong bid since I needed it to complete the series.
Almost immediately some "nitwit image" topped it.

Well, one thing lead to another and I was into the White Horse at the time so I kept
topping the "other" nitwit's bid until about 10 p.m., put in a final FxxKit! bid of more than $200 and went to bed.

The next morning I went to the computer to find that the Scottie had sold for almost $300 and I didn't know,
really, whether to laugh or cry.

A few hours later I received an email from the consignor in England asking me what in the heck I was thinking of.

He said something like "I don't know if you fellows think the Scottie was carrying some secret CIA papers or
something in his basket, but this piece normally sells for around $60"

Sure enough another one came up a few weeks later, and with Nitwit One already holding his $300 "how in hell
did that happen?"Scottie I got it for about the $60 estimate that was quoted.

Moral? If there is any......

1. Don't pay any attention at all to "book" values and check the sold for prices on Ebay (pretty damned obvious)

2. Never, ever, drink and bid!

That is unless somebody else is drinking and bidding more than you are
and you decide to toodle off to bed in the heat of battle image

No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
It's just that I got my PCGS grades.