Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1813 Large Cent for the Album

BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
this is the S-293. Just got it today and added it to my album.
Opinions on grade, surfaces, or anything else related to the
coin are welcome. The opinions of others will not change my
opinion of the coin image

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably close to or at Fine detail, Richard, with quite a bit of strike weakness and a slightly offcenter strike, and appears to be a late die state. Also looks like it may have been lacquered a long time ago. (still some heavy remnants left around the stars and the leaves).
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    I Like!

<< <i>The opinions of others will not change my >>

Granted! image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    Overall a nice collector grade Classic Head. The planchet and color look decent with a bit of a weak strike. My EAC grade would be 15+/10. It could gtet nicked slightlty for the apparent roughness in front of the hair. My guess is that it looks better "in the flesh"?
  • Options
    Any Classic heads that are problem free are great to have in my book. Despite its week strike its a nice coin. Looks like a 15 to me, lots of nice hair left and if it had been striked correctly i am guessing a 20.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like she was once porous and has been restored, but that's par for the course with this series.

An overall attractive example with plenty of details left, and perfect for an album. image

Congrats on your NEWP...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    thanks for the comments, folks.

Here is another opinion on the coin:

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the PCGS grade and the coin -- doesn't look restored at all, but rather pretty nice for this era of cents.
  • Options
    Congrats on a very nice coin.

merse

• Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

<< <i>thanks for the comments, folks.

Here is another opinion on the coin:

image >>

The background in this picture is just ruining that pcgs label!
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like the coin,especially the strike. Looks as the planchet was thick on one side and thin on the other, which would account for the boldness and the weakness of this beautiful original piece. Thanks for sharing such an interesting coin...Joe
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭
    I really like the look, including the off center strike and weakness. Seems to me that copper gets hammered grade-wise moreso than any other series. She looks like she should be a 20.

So many have corrosion, this one seems to have been relatively well cared for.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strange strike. I agree that it was lacquered, probably. Sure, it's got some marks and scuffs, but I like it. No major corrosion or porosity or pitting, which you've gotta respect on a Classic Head cent. Are you an EAC guy?

Edit: PCGS F12 for comparison. Sorry for the smallish pix- they are all I have left of it. It lasted about 4 minutes on BST a while back. I think it was Braddick who swooped in and grabbed it. The second person in line offered me even more money for than I'd asked, but a deal's a deal, and to Braddick (or whoever) it went. I left a little money on the table that time. This one was a straight F12 to F12 crossover from an ANACS crackout, as I recall. Obviously the different grades on yours and mine must have something to do with strike, because at a glance, mine appears sharper, despite being three points lower. Of course it's an 1812 and not an 1813. Different year, die state, and variety.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Net VG, sticker. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    Nice!

I really love the Early Coppers, especially circulated ones.

......I collect old stuff......
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks as the planchet was thick on one side and thin on the other, which would account for the boldness and the weakness of this beautiful original piece. >>

So would a misaligned die, which is, I believe, the cause of the feature you describe.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Pretty nice looking coin! Good surfaces and nice brown color.
    Currently collecting Morgan Dollars and Seated Liberty Halves
  • Options

<< <i>Strange strike. I agree that it was lacquered, probably. Sure, it's got some marks and scuffs, but I like it. No major corrosion or porosity or pitting, which you've gotta respect on a Classic Head cent. Are you an EAC guy?

>>

I joined EAC in August. Great organization!
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    It's an axially misaligned die, with a poor quality planchet. Seems to me
    the strike is nice and the grade should have been somewhat higher than
    F-15. Just a guess it's somewhere around die state III.
    Can you see any evidence of a 3/2 overdate?
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options

<< <i>It's an axially misaligned die, with a poor quality planchet. Seems to me
    the strike is nice and the grade should have been somewhat higher than
    F-15. Just a guess it's somewhere around die state III.
    Can you see any evidence of a 3/2 overdate? >>

I don't know specifically what to look for insofar as a 3/2 is concerned, but nothing "jumps out" at me
  • Options
    joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    LML--
    It looks like a re-punched "3" to me due to the the top left tip of the "3". All the 1812 "2's" are quite rounded.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file