Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

PRESIDENTIAL TYLER P POS A AND POS B OVERLAPS FOR SALE

image THE ENTIRE TYLER P OVERLAP DOUBLE EDGE LETTERING COINS WILL GO UP FOR SALE AT THE LONG BEACH SHOW WITH HERITAGE AUCTIONS. POSITION A's THAT WILL BE AVAILABLE WILL BE PCGS 2-MS66's, 2-MS65's, and 1 MS64. THE ONLY POS B THAT WILL BE AVAILABLE WILL BE A SINGLE PCGS MS65 OF WHICH ONLY TWO ARE KNOWN; OF WHICH I RETAIN ONE. THE ENTIRE POPULATION OF POS A's IS 6 AND I ALSO WILL RETAIN ONE OF THOSE AS WELL. SO A TOTAL OF 5 POS A's AND 1 POS B WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR SALE AT THE AUCTION EXCLUSIVELY THROUGH HERITAGE AUCTION HOUSE.

IF YOU WANT ONE OF THESE, THEN BID HIGH SINCE THIS MAY BE YOUR ONLY CHANCE TO GET YOUR HANDS ON ONE FOR YOUR REGISTRY SET. JIM ELSEMORE AND OTHER TOP REGISTRY COLLECTORS IN THE PRESIDENTIAL DOLLAR SERIES HAVE INFORMED ME THAT THEY WILL BE BIDDING ON THESE. SO BID HIGH IF YOU WANT ANY OF THEM.

THE ESTIMATE BY THE HERITAGE NUMISTATISTS IS THAT THE POS B WILL SELL FOR $10,000+ SO BE SURE TO BID HIGH IF YOU WANT IT. THE TYLER P OVERLAP DOUBLE EDGE LETTERING POS B IS GOING TO ADVERTISED AS ONE OF THE HIGHLIGHTS OF THE SALE BY HERITAGE IN PRINT MEDIA ADVERTISING.

THE AUCTION WILL BE HELD ON FEB 4-6 AT THE LONG BEACH SHOW IN LONG BEACH, CA AND WILL BEGIN BY INTERNET AUCTION AND CULMINATE IN A LIVE FLOOR AUCTION IN WHICH SOMEONE MUST BE ACTUALLY PRESENT AT THE SHOW IN ORDER TO BID. SO POTENTIALLY AN INTERNET BIDDER COULD EASILY BE OUTBID BY A BIDDER ACTUALLY PRESENT AT THE LIVE AUCTION ON THE FLOOR.

ANYONE INTERESTED IN VIEWING THESE COINS FOR BID CAN DO SO AT THE SHOW ON THE AUCTION FLOOR WHERE THEY WILL BE UP FOR DISPLAY FOR ANY POTENTIAL BIDDERS.

I HAVE A GENUINE TYLER P OVERLAP POS B AVAILABLE FOR TRADE WHICH IS NOT GOING UP FOR AUCTION AT THE LONG BEACH SHOW. THE GENUINE DIDN'T GRADE BECAUSE OF RIM DAMAGE BUT IT WILL STILL FILL THE TYLER P POS B SLOT IN ANY REGISTRY SET. I OFFERED IT TO JIM ELSMORE FOR TRADE BUT HE TURNED ME DOWN OF COURSE. I HAVE ALSO OFFERED IT FOR TRADE TO BROADWAYPHILLY BUT HE KEEPS TURNING IT DOWN. KIND OF CRAZY CONSIDERING IT IS THE ONLY OTHER POS B THAT MIGHT FILL SOMEONE'S SLOT IN THEIR REGISTRY SET. CONSIDERING THAT THERE IS ONLY ONE POS B THAT IS GOING TO EVER BE AVAILABLE, THIS IS ONE OF THOSE FEW INSTANCES WHERE A GENUINE MAY ACTUALLY BE WORTH A SUBSTANTIAL AMOUNT OF MONEY, WHEN MOST OF THE TIME THE GENUINE DESIGNATION IS USUALLY CONSIDERED TO BE WORTHLESS. IT IS ACTUALLY DESIGNATED AS A TYLER P POS B OVERLAP DOUBLE EDGE LETTERING VARIETY BY PCGS.

IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED IN TRADING FOR THIS TYLER P OVERLAP POS B GENUINE PLEASE CONTACT ME.

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "THE ESTIMATE BY THE HERITAGE NUMISTATISTS IS THAT THE POS B WILL SELL FOR $10,000+ "

Curious how the heritage experts could estimate a $10,000+ sale on a coin minted a week or two ago for which virtually all of the P mint bricks have yet to even be opened to examine?

Good luck though with the sales. Justin's #1 Pres set will not be bidding... simply because (17 year old) Justin doesn't have $10,000 (LOL) and enjoys "cherrypicking" them. I guess he will be asking me to find him a ton of P mint bricks to search!!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    FYI - All caps makes it seem like your shouting. Your "interesting" post is a little loud.
  • Options
    Steve: While I have no idea who Coinman9 is (perhaps he can introduce himself to us all), I have no doubt locating some "overlaps" of a particular president is entirely possible. At this point, a couple years later, John Adams 'overlapped" pieces are roughly $50-$100/coin (for all but the top couple grades which are a bit more of course). Will these Taylors (assuming all the details of the OP) command hundreds or even thousands (and thousands) of dollars in the years ahead? Who knows. Perhaps Jim can comment on all this since he is mentioned in the OP's posting?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Curious how the heritage experts could estimate a $10,000+ sale on a coin minted a week or two ago for which virtually all of the P mint bricks have yet to even be opened to examine? >>

I GUESS ITS TYLER SINCE NO TAYLORS HAVE BEEN GRADED YET AND I'D SURE BE INTERESTED TO SEE IF THESE ACTUALLY SELL FOR THAT ESTIMATED AMOUNT SINCE I DON'T EVER RECALL SEEING A PRESIDENTIAL DOLLAR BEING SOLD THROUGH HERITAGE.

OF COURSE I COULD HAVE MISSED SOMETHING.................
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Lee: My mistake... of course, the Tyler's have been out for about 3-6 months. I always mix up Pres. Tyler with Pres. Taylor. image

Wondercoin
  • Options
    The Adams Overlapped were high in number because there were several Mint employees at the Denver Mint who deliberately did those coins so that they could profit by illegally selling some for themselves. They covered up their crime by producing a lot of them to make it seem like it was a mechanical or system error. They are in Federal Prison for that crime and others they did including the 2005 Extra High Leaf and Low Leaf Wisconsin state quarter and other coins.

As for Presidential Overlaps, I ask you, do you have any Tyler P Overlaps? If so, then please let me know. But I doubt it. Currently there are several Presidential Overlaps of great rarity which exist in the Presidential dollar series. To name a few, there is the George Washington P MS Overlap, the soon to be Jefferson P Pos A Overlap, the SF Monroe MS Overlap Owned by Mr. Elsemore and another, and of course the Tyler P Pos A and B Overlaps. I don't see high populations among those even after all these couple of years do you? The GW P Overlap has a Pop of 2, the Jefferson P Pos A a Pop of 1, the Monroe SF MS Overlap I believe a Pop of 1, and of Course these Tyler P's a Pop of 6 A's, 2 B's, and 1 genuine. The GW and TJ are from 2007 and Mr. Elsmore's SF Monroe is from 2008 respectively and I don't see a Pop of more than 5 of those two years out. Really, the high Pop of Adams was the exception and not the rule. As time has gone on the mint has gotten better at utilizing their laser sensors in their machines for edge lettering errors and weeded out corrupt employees. The laser sensors sound the alarm and cause the machines to stop when an error is detected these days. The fact that the machine runs so fast can cause a lag time of a temporary shutdown between the alarm and actual stoppage which might make the machine produce 12 or so or even less errors. The recent Polk P Weak Edges have been the exception because the population is well over 100. But as we all know, in general Weak Edges are more common among varieties, then comes Partials, and finally is the Overlaps being the rarest type of all notwithstanding population numbers.

Considering that exclusive of the Adams Overlaps, the total pop of Overlaps for 2007 to 2008 is 5, it would seem that Overlaps are generally rare indeed. That makes the Tylers very rare as well especially the Pos B. Someone here said that these coins are Taylors, meaning "Zachary Taylors", but these are not Taylors at all. They are John Tylers which weren't produced a few weeks ago as the writer stated, but last spring just after the Harrisons.

As far as for being "For Real" I am for real, but if I reveal who I am then I will tip my hand and you will know which sets I have on the Registry which are relatively ranked very high. I prefer to remain anonymous for now as I might overtake one of your sets.
  • Options
    Oh, and one more thing, Mr. Elsmore may not desire to comment on the rarity of these coins and as to their potential value as he himself will be bidding on them in Feb. Such comments by him regarding rarity might drive the price up making him pay more should he win. Or if he does, he may try to down play the rarity in hopes to keep the price down at auction. He afterall, is going to need a Pos A of these and desires to win the only Pos B available. No doubt that he will try to bid on one of the Pos A MS66's or both and most definitely the Pos B. And rumor has it, that Mr. Elsemore has been searching the past several weeks looking desperately for these coins either raw or graded and he can't find any. And if he can't find any, I doubt anyone else will.

As far as being loud with caps, I apologize as it was unintended to offend anyone.

As far as the Pos B final price goes, who knows? What would anyone pay for it to complete their set? I guess we shall see. It is at this point a fairly unique coin, with a graded pop of 2 (in which I keep one) and if nothing emerges and becomes known between now and Feb, then when the coins will be sold they will have been out of production at the mint for at least a year since they were produced last spring. And if they are out for a year, and no others become known during that lapse of that time, then recent history has shown that it is unlikely that any will ever be known. And that will make this opportunity to bid, an opportunity that may only come once in 20 years or a lifetime.

So, if you think you can find any, then get searching. I challenge you to find one. And if you find any between now and Feb, then the Long Beach Show may be your best bet, or trade with me for the Genuine Pos B which will fill your slot, although it won't give any weighted grade to one's set. While one wants a weighted grade for the set, the most valuable factor for consideration for the set is having the coin, which the computer program will credit the registry owner. Better to have the coin even at no grade then not at all.
  • Options
    Coinman9 - No harm intended on confusing these for Taylors. I just didn't read your opening post carefully enough and confused Taylor with Tyler.

As I mentioned previously, good luck with your auction sales.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    NO OFFENSE TAKEN WONDERCOIN. MIGHT YOU BE INTERESTED IN TRADING ME SOMETHING FOR THE TYLER POS B OVERLAP GENUINE FOR SOMETHING THAT I MIGHT NEED?
  • Options

<< <i>As far as for being "For Real" I am for real, but if I reveal who I am then I will tip my hand and you will know which sets I have on the Registry which are relatively ranked very high. I prefer to remain anonymous for now as I might overtake one of your sets. >>

My favorite kind of person.

No matter, I think I know who you are. image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Coinman9 - Rather than going back and forth on this thread (when, technically, you probably should not be commenting further as you are offering coins for sale here), why not turn on your personal message so anyone can contact you to discuss your coin(s). You can still discuss your coins in the PM's without revealing your identity.

Originally, my son Justin was collecting everything in the way of Mint State Presidential Dollars... business strikes, major varieties, minor varieties, etc. About a year or so ago, he determined he simply could not pursue the collection the way he desired with such a broad focus. He simply lacked the capital. So, he decided to concentrate on the business strike coins.... a collection that will still end up having a few hundred coins in it. But, a set he can build "homemade" for the most part. A perfect project for a high school kid. He won the "Young Numismatist of Year" award for his great (focused) business strike set. Looks good on his college applications he is doing this week as well.

You know, Justin's lesson was very similar to what I had to do as well a few years back. I started building a pattern nickel collection in finest known grade - shield, liberty, washington, Lincoln, 3 cent design, etc., etc., etc. It soon became clear that project was far too costly for me, especially because I couldn't resist buying a cool pattern in a different denomination when the opportunity presented itself (a couple "20 centers" here, an aluminum cent or quarter there). So, I trimmed it down to pattern liberty nickels. Then, prices exploded and I couldn't buy those either. But, I think I had the right idea.

"Don't bite off more than you can chew" when pursuing your collection and you should have great fun!

Wondercoin
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    Always up for a challenge and appears we need to get cracking into some Tyler bricks

Caps off on this post

• Options
    Interesting thread. I am glad to see some of the tough Presidentials starting to appear in a Heritage signiture auction. It will be fun to see how well these coins can do. Personally, I had to back off on any serous attempt to pursue the Presidential errors. My collecting interests are too broad to focus there. It is difficult for me to spend that kind of money on relatively modern issues that can see their population change dramatically over the short term. I would be very suprised to see the coin come close to $10,000, but stranger things have happenned. It only takes 2 people that want the coin bad. Thank goodness I won't have a dog in that fight.
  • Options
    Registry or not, I would never consider $10,000 for a coin that is just one brick away from a pop 1,001.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    "I would be very suprised to see the coin come close to $10,000, but stranger things have happenned. It only takes 2 people that want the coin bad"

Or a reserve and just (1) buyer often gets there as well.

Wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>"I would be very suprised to see the coin come close to $10,000, but stranger things have happenned. It only takes 2 people that want the coin bad"

Or a reserve and just (1) buyer often gets there as well.

Wondercoin >>

That would probably be the best way for the seller to play it. In this weak enviroment, no reserve could be a dangerous way to auction a coin like that. With a high reserve, he can test the market, sell the coin at a price he wants, or get the coin back and try again when the demand improves. (of course the risk is there may be more of the coins slabbed in the future).
  • Options
    I'm really curious about this statements:

<< <i>The Adams Overlapped were high in number because there were several Mint employees at the Denver Mint who deliberately did those coins so that they could profit by illegally selling some for themselves. They covered up their crime by producing a lot of them to make it seem like it was a mechanical or system error. They are in Federal Prison for that crime and others they did including the 2005 Extra High Leaf and Low Leaf Wisconsin state quarter and other coins. >>

I don;t recall reading about this anywhere and surely it would have made some type of news outlet?

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>I'm really curious about this statements:

<< <i>The Adams Overlapped were high in number because there were several Mint employees at the Denver Mint who deliberately did those coins so that they could profit by illegally selling some for themselves. They covered up their crime by producing a lot of them to make it seem like it was a mechanical or system error. They are in Federal Prison for that crime and others they did including the 2005 Extra High Leaf and Low Leaf Wisconsin state quarter and other coins. >>

I don;t recall reading about this anywhere and surely it would have made some type of news outlet? >>

I tried to google information on that, and could not come up with anything either.
  • Options
    And, of course, the state quarter errors were 2-3 years PRIOR to the Adams coins. The same guys were doing the state quarters and then the Adams dollars years later?? Curious... I too would like to be directed to the news release on this.

Wondercoin

• Options

<< <i>THE ESTIMATE BY THE HERITAGE NUMISTATISTS IS THAT THE POS B WILL SELL FOR $10,000+ >>

I would like to know who at Heritage said this coin would sell for $10,000. Would you care to name who said this so we could call to verify?
  • Options
    Wondercoin,

I really sympathize with Justin's plight. When I was his age, the same thing happened to me, for as I got older and had to start out in my life I had other financial priorities and collecting just became too expensive. I vowed to myself as Justin probably has, to take up collecting later in life when I could afford it. Unfortunately, that didn't happen until many years later. Justin has a nice set and some wonderful coins. He might be able to continue his collection later in his life just as I have. I have some coins that he doesn't have and visa-versa. Tell him that I have turned on my PM as you have suggested, and to contact me, as I would be willing to trade some of mine for his, including possibly the Tyler P Pos B Genuine Overlap. To trade for the Genuine Overlap might be quite an opportunity for him, and if he misses some of the coin(s) for such a trade, those coins he might be able to reaquire later in life.

By the way, doesn't Justin have a TJ MEL? I don't recall if he has one or not.
  • Options
    The same employees that made the 2005 D Wisconsin errors also did the Adams errors and several others. They were not caught by the Secret Service until they had committed several of their crimes over a two to three year period. Investigations take awhile, and while that was going on, they continued to commit more crimes. I don't recall exactly which issue, but this was featured in an article in Coinworld a couple of years ago. They are in Federal Prison now for multiple crimes. And why wasn't it blatantly announced by the U.S. Mint? Well secrecy of the ongoing investigations for preserving the integrity of the investigation and court case for one, and public embarrassment on the other. That is why they were not talking about the Wisconsin errors to the media, but in the end, they finally admitted it. These employees worked in collusion and had access to the dies and machines and were trained in such. They were finally prosecuted early in the middle of 2008.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I find it hard to believe less than 10 of these coins exist. I have no idea why someone would pay stupid money for a prezzie dollar. There are tons of them still in the wrappers that have not been opened. I have over 300 rolls of different presidents that i have never got around to opening yet. I am amazed at how crappy the edges look on these dollars from the mint in the year of 2009. I would have expected better. If by some small miracle i was to find a few i would send Justin one for a dollar.

Good luck on the sale, did you get a cash advance from Heritage for half??
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options

Anybody have a net?....image
  • Options

<< <i>If by some small miracle i was to find a few i would send Justin one for a dollar. >>

Would you really?

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    19lyds- With out a second thought as long as i find 2. I would hope that he would not sell it the next day. If i was to find 3 i would consider sending you one for a dollar even though you scored on the ike last year. They cost a buck and i am not that needy for cash

I have been buying new rolls from the bank every week this year. I have not bought many older classic coins and if the money stays in the bank account it seems to dissapear so i try to pick up at least 10 rolls of prezzies a week that my other half does not know about. She just wonders why my checks are so low this year.image I have north of 300++ rolls this year and have opened none so far. I keep picking up Washington rolls from different banks and plan on opening some or all somewhere down the road. By the way a 100 roll of pres dollar seems pretty heavy. Anyone weigh 100 rolls? My guess is over 45 pounds.
    Mark

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    A Presidential dollar weighs 8 grams and there are 25 coins in a roll, and 1000 rolls in a brick. So the coins in a roll weigh 200 grams. I don't know how many pounds that is.
  • Options
    That is very kind of Pennyannie, but Justin has never accepted a young numismatist gift to date and I expect he would compensate Pennyannie fairly if the situation presented itself.

Wondercoin

• Options

<< <i>That is very kind of Pennyannie, but Justin has never accepted a young numismatist gift to date and I expect he would compensate Pennyannie fairly if the situation presented itself.

Wondercoin >>

I, on the other hand, would warmly welcome his gift! image

Does this make me bad? image

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    So what are the odds of finding one??

BTW i finnally opened a roll today, 340+ to go.
    Mark

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh, and one more thing, Mr. Elsmore may not desire to comment on the rarity of these coins and as to their potential value as he himself will be bidding on them in Feb. Such comments by him regarding rarity might drive the price up making him pay more should he win. Or if he does, he may try to down play the rarity in hopes to keep the price down at auction. He afterall, is going to need a Pos A of these and desires to win the only Pos B available. No doubt that he will try to bid on one of the Pos A MS66's or both and most definitely the Pos B. And rumor has it, that Mr. Elsemore has been searching the past several weeks looking desperately for these coins either raw or graded and he can't find any. And if he can't find any, I doubt anyone else will.

<< <i>

WOW!
    Alan, was all this necessary or needed?
    I guess this was to stop all of my commentary..... You mentioned things about me that I didn't even know! :-)
    A Variety in a Genuine Holder is problem coin, thus the designation. I would prefer to not have those in my collection unless the price is right.
    A price has not been set on this coin. How much is it? Then I can make a better decision on it.

I have put out word to a couple of people that open up a lots of bricks of these dollars that the overlaps exist, this is not a sign of desperation on my part.
    Tazmic is now also on the hunt....
    There are one coin wonders and when a handful of something is found.
    One needs to ask themselves, are there more?
    This happens on many of the Presdential Dollar Series Varieties.
    I enjoy the series and have discovered many great and rare varieties to date.
    These "Tyler Overlaps" are great additions to the series....as to value....only time will tell.
    Alan, Congrats on the discovery.

Bottomline:
    Looks like no one will obtain for now 100% complete in the Presidential Dollar Complete Registry set and that goes for me as well.

• Options
    Congrats on the finds Coinman09!

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    once you get over the horrible feeling of not being about to have a "complete" set, you are ready to collect patterns. image

Wondercoin
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    What exactly is an overlap?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Hey Guys,

Get ready for the Jefferson P Overlap and the Tyler P Partial Edge Lettering to be added to the set's composition in the weeks ahead.

Jack
  • Options

<< <i>What exactly is an overlap?

Steve >>

Double Edge Lettering Overlapped.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Are these coins still in the Long Beach auction?

The name is LEE!