Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

House of idiots....

It always happens on Teletrade.

I see a coin that I need for my Registry set, enter a bid that borders on the ridiculous, hoping nobody
gets even close and some nitwit-probably the same one, or perhaps a resident nitwit-outbids it.

It's a later date dime and only MS 66 for God's sake! Population is low because nobody has
submitted many of them.

How much? All I know is that I can buy at least 4 original rolls of the date for what the nitwit bid and
I'm dead certain I can get at least 1 66 and have the rest for resale.

Please don't ask me why I haven't done that. And here's hoping the nitwit isn't a member
of this forum because he/she is hung out to dry at this point image

No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
It's just that I got my PCGS grades.

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did the coin actually sell? or was there a hidden reserve on it?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Well there have been 3 bids since I made the post so there are at least 2 nitwits battling it out-and bleeding-now.

I doubt anyone in their right mind would put a reserve that high on it.

• Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    So, let's see if I got this right. You are calling other people names because they bid higher on a coin that you wanted? It seems that you have only one solution... bid higher... simple problem solved....
  • Options
    I do understand that comment.

But the point was, and is, that as ludicrous as my original nitwittery was-at least two nitwits on steroids
    managed to out bid me.

The coin is worth no more than about 1/3 of the current bid in the real world.

I'm sorry, but if all this sounds like sour grapes it's because that's exactly what it is image
  • Options
    AHHHhhh,... I see tha tyou were calling them nitwits based on how high they were going on the price, not because they out bid you.... gotcha... carry on...
  • Options
    By the way, what kind of dime and what year?
  • Options
    1966 Canada dime, PCGS MS 66.

Bid is up to $480 now-over $100 more than a 1956 PL 67 Dollar and about what you could get
    an MS 65 1806 British farthing for.

But this is the siren song for coin newbies and, sometimes, for nitwits like myself--POP 2 and NONE HIGHER!!

Like, maybe, a 2009 clad Roosevelt dime because no one in his/her right mind would waste the grading fees
    submitting it.

For example I sold an MS 68 Morgan dollar for nearly $14,000 about fifteen years ago because it was one of
    only 8 Morgans in that grade. And that was to another dealer!!.

I could buy it back today for about half that price since there are probably 30 or more.

Three factors at work here: 1: I want what only 2 other people on God's green earth have got. 2: The "greater fool"
    principal (and I have a solid education in that one.)

3: As the used car salesman said "There's an ass for every seat".

None of this matters though, since tomorrow I'm going to take the $280 I bid on the coin and buy Ohio Powerball lottery tickets image

• Options
    I'm the nitwit and if you make one more bid it's yours ... otherwise I get it back for my collection. Total cost about $45 usd ... alot cheaper than your $280usd ...
  • Options
    Well if you put up a coin that you paid $45 for and got bids over $400 you certainly aren't the nitwit I'M talking about image
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Hi grinchbc.

My name is WWW, and I'm a nitwit too.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    My name is wybrit, and by canadacolornut's definition of the word "idiot," I would be one of them. image
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    Yeah that was kinda where my first post was going... I've been a nitwit before... and an idiot... in fact my wife called me one today!
  • Options
    Its true the coin collecting community is a close nit one.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭
    As an aside, every lot I tracked for tonight's sale is still pending; i.e. not sold.
  • Options
    Some of the lots that I was tracking, or bidding on, sold but I guess the reserve on the dime was a bit too high.

My apologies to grinchbc and welcome to the forum.

Yes-as in my original statement "as ludicrous as my original nitwittery was"-I'm obviously a nitwit myself when it
    comes to collecting.

In fact I've served proudly as a crew member on Starship Nitwittica for many years now image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just bid a nitwitty price on a coin - set an esnipe on an eBay auction at what I considered a nosebleed price, just in case - and still lost.

I feel your pain. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What percentage of coins on TT actually sell now? 20%, lower for World coins?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Thanks LM. Like you probably, I've sat up a lot of nights to put in one final "nitwit" bid, only to see some anal retentive geek top it after I left the computer image

You're probably close Ajaan. I put in a lot of "just to see what happens" bids so I can check what the coin sold for the next morning. At least half of them
    never show up.

I don't know how consignors are able to juice up bids on that site; or perhaps it's just the nature of the bidders, but I never feel quite comfortable that
    I've gotten the best price I could get on most coins. By the same token, most of the consignments I've made, without reserve, sell for what I consider
    peanuts-and I've sent some very nice material in.

I'm not paranoid about those kinds of things but it makes me wonder sometimes if I'm missing something on just how "the game" is played...
  • Options
  • Options
    I noticed that you started to post grinchbc. Hope there aren't any hard feelings since none of what
    I said was directed toward your operation.

I see a lot of very nice coins with great pictures in your Ebay listings. Hope we can do some business.

Best regards....
  • Options
    lost my train of thought and started rambling on so I deleted ... I'm more a lurker anyways so I'll go back and crawl under my rock image
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    lost my train of thought and started rambling on so I deleted

Those are usually the best posts image
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    At prices like that the registry pops will grow for sure