Home Sports Talk
Options

Urban Meyer says no to idea of going to ND

`I'm ready to dispel it,'' Meyer said. ``I'm going to be the coach at Florida as long as they'll have me. So I want to make that clear.''

Comments

• Options
    Ya, must have been a touch call for Meyer, let's see...

Florida - Winning a National Championship every other year.

Notre Dame - Getting embarrassed on National TV every other week.

Yup, really touch decision to makeimage
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Yeah I don't really see, despite some silly articles recently, how Notre Dame is a better job than Florida. I bet the pay won't be that much better and if its close I don't see how the boosters at Florida let that get in the way.

Notre Dame WAS the best job 10-15 years ago but much has changed. They have a hard time recruiting some players due to academic standards of their school, Stanford does too and so does Northwestern.

I wouldn't doubt it if they eventually lost their TV deal once these non BCS seasons pile up during the next 2 to 3 years during the next coaching change.

Notre Dame may even be forced to get into a real conference one day due to all of this.

Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Easier to recruit at Florida, pay is the same, and I would take a few humid Florida days versus the miserable weather of Indiana. Easy choice.
  • Options
    Notre Dame's football program is cursed. I can't explain why, but you can just sense the smell of defeat in south bend.
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    Lets see how Urb feels next year when Tebow is gone and the SEC doesn't suck.
  • Options
    What else is he going to say today? He has the SEC championship and (possibly) another national title to contend for. When he was coaching at Utah he said the same things, then months later was being introduced as the head coach at Florida. He's been quoted as saying ND is his dream job in the past. Let's see how strong his ties to Florida are after this season and Notre Dame opens up the coffers and offers him more money than he's making in Florda....my money is on him (again) trading 'loyalty' for more money, as it's been since he moved from Bowling Green to Utah to Florida.
  • Options
    Florida wouldn't let him go easily, ND will still have to pay a ton of money to get rid of Weiss and then a lot to whoever
    replaces him.
  • Options
    Meyer would get quickly frustrated at ND when he can't recruit the players he wants because ND has higher
    academic standards than the SEC. He would be better just staying where he is if he wants to preserve his
    legacy.
  • Options
    I think as long as Urban is at UF every time ND is hiring a new coach his name will be brought up if for no other reason than sports writers need us to click on their stories. I of course am aware of what Urban wrote in his book about ND being his "dream job" but the ND he experienced way back in the 80's is a very different ND than the one that exists today.

He has an empire here in Gainesville, and I really think he'll be here for a very long time. Is it possible he'll want a new challenge like maybe the NFL or another college? Sure, but he's only been here 5 years and he's having unbelievable success and there's no sign of that slowing down anytime soon. Me thinks he'll stick around and work on his wardrobe (referencing new College GameDay commercial)

BTW Urban did mention who he'd like to see replace him as head coach one day.
    No surprise here.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>BTW Urban did mention who he'd like to see replace him as head coach one day.
    No surprise here. >>

Yeah, I see Tebow as coach material.