Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Does this coin actually belong in a PCGS holder?

...because it would be news to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1983-MO-MEXICO-SILVER-ONZA-GRADED-PR68DCAM-BY-PCGS_W0QQitemZ110459341298QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b7e3c9f2

I know this may be one of those stupid questions but it is one that's bugging me.
Also, it would be nice if someone here could post pics or make a direct link to it since it's a little late for me and I need to go to bed.
Thanks

~

Comments

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    linky

Why not? They slab Eagles, Maples, Pandas, and Brittanias, too.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh, why not?

Let's see 'em try to slab THIS, on the other hand... image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Eh, why not?

Let's see 'em try to slab THIS, on the other hand... image >>

WOW - are you the winning bidder, LordM?
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet that coin's headed for mother Russia.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, I didn't buy that, though it's neat. Savoyspecial just pointed it out to me a few minutes ago.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>linky

Why not? They slab Eagles, Maples, Pandas, and Brittanias, too. >>

Yes I understand but unlike Eagles, Maples, Pandas and Brittanias that actually came from their respective official mints I had no idea the Casa de Moneda of Mexico produced this Cuauhtemoc.

I looked and looked and I just don't see the famous Mo mint mark.
    How do I know it is an official issue?

~
  • Options
    By the way, thank you Gene and Zohar for putting a direct link and pic.

~
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really don't think this belongs in a PCGS holder. There isn't an official denomination called "Onza". Maple leafs, pandas, and such have a denomination associated with them. I would call this medallic bullion.
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This must be a mechanical error. It is NOT a Mexican Mint product. It is a silver round minted by some private mint.
  • Options

<< <i>I really don't think this belongs in a PCGS holder. There isn't an official denomination called "Onza". Maple leafs, pandas, and such have a denomination associated with them. I would call this medallic bullion. >>

<< <i>This must be a mechanical error. It is NOT a Mexican Mint product. It is a silver round minted by some private mint. >>

That's what I thought!

~
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    The seller ended his listing with "God Bless" and a little smiley face. I guess everything must be good.

Edited to add: And the PCGS verification checked out - Link
  • Options

<< <i>There isn't an official denomination called "Onza". >>

True, but they slab Onzas all the time and label them as such. Pattern Onzas too.

The problem is not the denomination or lack thereof. The problem is that they slabbed it 1983-Mo which states it is an official issue of Mexico (Mo being the mintmark) when in fact its merely a silver round made by a private minting firm (perhaps not even in Mexico).
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    I think that piece undermines the PCGS brand a bit. Whats next - slabbing 1 oz birthday rounds?
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>There isn't an official denomination called "Onza". >>

True, but they slab Onzas all the time and label them as such. Pattern Onzas too.

The problem is not the denomination or lack thereof. The problem is that they slabbed it 1983-Mo which states it is an official issue of Mexico (Mo being the mintmark) when in fact its merely a silver round made by a private minting firm (perhaps not even in Mexico). >>

The fact that they do shows that they remain inconsistent with their rules. They slab modern mint rounds, but refuse to slab my 18th-19th century mint-issued proclamation coinage due to the lack of denomination. How's that fair?
  • Options

<< <i>They slab modern mint rounds, but refuse to slab my 18th-19th century mint-issued proclamation coinage due to the lack of denomination. How's that fair? >>

I hear ya, Roman. It's shortsighted. The other outfit across the street will slab 'em, but PCGS stubbornly refuses. Darn shame too as procs are beautiful, historic, and valuable.
  • Options
    Krause does list "onzas" with that as their denomination. Also, just because it doesn't have the Mo mintmark doesn't make it not a true Mexican piece. Krause lists a pattern 1983 Onza without the Mo mintmark. But, I believe it to be of the "Libertad" design. I'm not making an excuse for this piece, as I also do not feel that silver rounds (which this is) should be slabbed. But that does not mean that a true Mexican issue 1983 Onza without the Mo mintmark doesn't exist.

edited to add that I found a reference number for this piece: X# MB18. But, I don't know what it is referencing to.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Jesse, I can tell you with absolute certainty that the piece in question is NOT a product of Mo (Casa de Moneda de Mexico). There is a mintmark on the reverse of the piece--it looks like WWM. Does anyone know what company ("mint") that stands for?

Here is another auction where the photos are larger: link

About Krause, they royally screwed up the Mexican pattern section years ago and to compound the problem, they removed what few photos they had in the section. I would argue its almost completely useless for identification now.

The pattern onza you refer to (is it Pn300?) is actually a pattern proof onza (part of the set KM-PS2) and it has a Mo mintmark. I own the coin so I can confirm this. Mintage=2.
  • Options
    It looks like WWM=Worldwide Mint Inc. of Minneapolis, MN.

They don't seem to have a website. Perhaps they are out of business.
  • Options

<< <i>Jesse, I can tell you with absolute certainty that the piece in question is NOT a product of Mo (Casa de Moneda de Mexico). There is a mintmark on the reverse of the piece--it looks like WWM. Does anyone know what company ("mint") that stands for?

Here is another auction where the photos are larger: link

About Krause, they royally screwed up the Mexican pattern section years ago and to compound the problem, they removed what few photos they had in the section. I would argue its almost completely useless for identification now.

The pattern onza you refer to (is it Pn300?) is actually a pattern proof onza (part of the set KM-PS2) and it has a Mo mintmark. I own the coin so I can confirm this. Mintage=2. >>

I know that it's not an Mo coin. I'm just saying that a Mexican coin doesn't need to have the Mo mintmark in order for it to be a Mexican coin.

I'd love to see a pic of the pattern if you have one handy.
    imageimageimage