Home Sports Talk
Options

Any video of Ralph Lawler/Michael Smith iranian comments controversy?

Clipper announcers suspended over comments

The clipper announcer team of ralph lawler/michael smith, were suspended for friday nights game over comments they made at the end of wednesdays game of the clippers/grizzlies. About Iranian Grizzlies player Hamed Haddadi.

Haven't found any video of it online. But it seems pretty tame. I'm sure there have been jokes about manute bol, spudd webb, gheorghe muresan, plenty of nba players. Think it was worth being suspended over, or has political correctness taken over?

Comments

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I guess I can fathom an Iranian-American complaining about the exchange, but it appeared merely to be inane banter and not something truly offensive. Not even mildly offensive, really, unless you're sensitive about Americans' collective lack of geography knowledge.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I wonder how it came out on video vs print.

This part,

Lawler: "Here's Haddadi. Nice little back-door pass. I guess those Iranians can pass the ball."

Might be thought of as a little offensive. Imagine if he said, "I guess those blacks can pass the ball", or I guess those asians can pass the ball. And the Borat joke, no one knows where Kazakhstan is.
  • Options
    Here's the video

video

Absolutely crazy they got suspended over this. Garbage time with a minute left. No one was even left in the arena. Nothing malicious said.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Just watched the video ... you have GOT to be F'IN kidding me! Suspended for THAT? OMG ... this PC crap has gone just a little too far!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    In the context, the comments seemed very innocuous to me. At most, someone could have pulled them aside and said "be careful what you say". Suspension for that was an overreaction.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They were kidding around about a player from a country that isn't known for its basketball prowess or its players playing in the NBA...I mean geez it was quite obvious in my opinion...suspended for that?
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    He wouldn't have said "wow those blacks can pass the ball" his point was that it was a player from a non traditional basketball playing country. Really stupid suspension.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options

<< <i>Just watched the video ... you have GOT to be F'IN kidding me! Suspended for THAT? OMG ... this PC crap has gone just a little too far! >>

Agreed. Will somebody please stand up and just say no to these groups that complain about this.

And by the way, Jimmie the Greek was right. Slavemasters while in Africa looked for the most physical of specimens
    to bring to America because of the huge work load back then. It's just a fact, and the Greek got canned over this too.
    Unreal.
  • Options

<< <i>He wouldn't have said "wow those blacks can pass the ball" his point was that it was a player from a non traditional basketball playing country. Really stupid suspension. >>

Yeah, the video helped me see that. I was drawn to this story (and shocked) because here in LA, Lawler is seen as this long time steady, conservative broadcaster. It'd be like Chick Hearn being suspended for a game (although the Lakers are better). But totally unexpected.
  • Options
    I really feel that we as a nation are sacrificing far too much in the name of being politically correct - Where does it end? I don't want to turn this into a political thread (one of the many reasons I like this board is to escape all that stuff) but there are NUMEROUS examples of a gross double standard when it comes to who can say what & who can't. White men can't jump but Iranian men can pass? WTF? Are we all equals or not?
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    They made a big deal about it on local sports radio yesterday. An Iranian called the show to explain the correct pronunciation of Iranian (e-ron-e-an) as opposed to Iranian (I-rain-e-an). The caller and the awful local sports radio host were suggesting the Clippers broadcasters got suspended based on his incorrect pronunciation of the word. I don't think so. That's just a couple of typical Americans that do not know the correct pronunciation. Clearly it was for the light hearted remarks about the player and the stupid comparison to Borat. Yes, it is sad the world is so PC. It is quite over the top. However, to those who are of many minority groups it's really important that their race, culture, whatever is fully respected. To the average white, Christian, overweight, lazy, American, male the world seems to be too PC. Maybe if we all went as far as to learn the correct pronunciation of others country and their people, and stopped unnecessary ethnic comments, maybe minority groups wouldn't be so much of watch dogs as they are. Just saying....
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Larryallen, I was thinking about that too after reading the comment that TheCardKid made comparing it to saying "those blacks can pass" and how that wouldn't fly.

I may be exposing my ignorance here, but it seems to me like there is a difference between making comments about someone's religion, race or ethnicity and making comments about their nationality. I just don't understand whether being Iranian is an ethnic designation or is being Iranian like being a Canadian?

Saying something like "Brazilians love their football" seems fine to me.
    On the other hand, saying something like "Jews really know the Torah" is less appropriate.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    TheVon-
    Totally agree with you.

I have a feeling the issue with Iranians, and other middle eastern groups, is they are on super high sensitivity alert. I have a Pakistani friend. He is dark skinned, goes to the mosque, etc... BUT he is really as "American" as you and I, born and raised in Cali, goes to baseball games, and is a doctor. However, he deals with a lot of prejudice based on his skin color, and country of his family's orgin, and thus I think he is on high alert.
  • Options
    How many times have we heard Steve Nash's name and Canadian mentioned by commentators or Yao Ming and Chinese mentioned after they make a play?
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    dumb.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I may be exposing my ignorance here, but it seems to me like there is a difference between making comments about someone's religion, race or ethnicity and making comments about their nationality. I just don't understand whether being Iranian is an ethnic designation or is being Iranian like being a Canadian? >>

More the former than the latter. "Iranian" is the current term, "Persian" is the older one. It's a distinct ethnicity.