Home Sports Talk
Options

If you thought Bill Belichek was dumb..............

then you have to read about the Harvard @ Yale game today.

Yale is the home team and winning 10-7 with 2+ minutes to go.

Yale has 4th and 22 from it's own 26 yard line. The punter comes on the field.

The Yale coach calls for a fake punt run reverse, but only picks up 16 yards.

Harvard takes over and scores the go ahead touchdown to win the game 14-10.

What coach has 4th and 22 in it's own territory and calls for a run fake punt with the lead and 2 minutes left in the game ?

Can someone post a picture of this guy ?

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    not good!!!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Sounds crazy, but there's a high school football coach that NEVER punts:
    Punt?
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Les Miles is the latest moron.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like the Yale coach didn't go to Yale. image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

<< <i>Les Miles is the latest moron. >>

COULD NOT BELIEVE that as I watched it unfold...WTF was he thinking?!?!?
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Sounds like the Yale coach didn't go to Yale. image >>

No, but he did attend Stanford ... and was the captain of the FB team!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought we had already proven statistically that punting the ball on 4th down is the absolute worst option available...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    bill belichick
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What coaches like this need to realize is a team can never have enough good punters...a team should dress as many punters as possible for the game, to have a fresh leg on every kick.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, what is a coach is going to do to try top that one? Fake punt from the end zone?
  • Options
    Metsfan,

Interesting article. I like that high school football coach's thought process. It makes sense for his situation, and his level. Probably wouldn't work as well in the NFL though.

• Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Although most 4th downs are statistically "go for it" situations, 4th and 22 is a definite punting situation.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...in 15-20 years, every coach in the NFL will be going for it on 4th down when the statistics tell him he should.

For those laughing at that statement....do yourself a favor and YouTube "Peter Schiff"....people were laughing at him too - but nobody's laughing anymore.
  • Options
    Les Miles cost LSU that win. He didn't have his field goal team ready to take the field when LSU had 1 sec. on the clock after that
    completion at the 18 yard line.

The Yale coach has no excuse. His defense only allowed 7 points to Harvard all day. He should have punted the ball and relied
    on his D to make the stop. Belicheck on the other hand watched Indy run all over the field on him.
  • Options

<< <i>Metsfan,

Interesting article. I like that high school football coach's thought process. It makes sense for his situation, and his level. Probably wouldn't work as well in the NFL though. >>

Probably right about it not working on the pro level, also might not work great on the college level. Coach on the pro level would probably get fired real quick using that strategy.