Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

FSH: First silver coins USSR set

Rouble and 50K are unc, both have full cartwheel luster. The rest are circ. The Rouble is (imo) MS61/62 no heavy marks, many have heavy marks. The 50K is (imo)MS60 with more marks one is heavy (just to the right of the upright star point) 2 sets like this have sold on ebay recently one @ $114 plus shipping the other $133 plus shipping both looked similiar with nicer Rouble and 50K than smaller coins but not obviously unc.s. This set $115 shipped. Returns ok minus my shipping cost. I don't have paypal.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool set. Early Soviet silver is something I haven't seen very often.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    It is a very cool set if the package is original.

Early Soviet designs are very typical of the naivete and innocence towards Communism at the time, with workers looking to a brighter future and other patriotic designs. I once bought two terrific examples of the 1924 rouble and the 1926 poltina (half-rouble) at the NYINC show on early bird day, had them Truevieweded and slabbed by PCGS at MS64 and sold them. Super toners,but I woudn't post them here and confuse potential interested parties.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It is a very cool set if the package is original. >>

"Original" to what? Surely not the 1920s. That holder can't date much before the 1960s, I would think.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I agree 60's appears to be an aftermarket copy of the US proof sets that began in 1968.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimage

You're both right. It even looks US made (to order?) packaging, and definetely not USSR made with its English letters.

But I still find it equally cool and the first one I see of the type.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    They look cool!!