Home Precious Metals
Options

2008 W unc Buff & AGE 4 coin set - what to do?

renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
Slab 'em or sell the sets raw?

Timeframe: before Christmas for the best bang.
Why? Kitchen remodel, for my misses sanity.
Do I want to? Not really, waiting for $8k gold, image

R95

Comments

• Options
    I would slab em, and sell them slabbed with the orig gov packaging. PCGS sent back all my capsules when I did that last time. You could hit some 70s and really make it worthwile.

FWIW, I have not priced these in the last couple months both ways though, you may want to check current ebay results.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me consult my ebay spreadsheet on these, brb.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    is it six of one or half dozen of the other?

i regret not getting these....BIG TIME
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Selling the 2008-W Burnished AGE 4-coin set in a box, ungraded might be a risk. I show only one recent sale, at $3,250. All of the other data I have comes in around $2,600+ which included both ungraded 4-coin sets and even NGC MS-70 4-coins sets. Those low numbers are probably because they represent older sales data. It may be that recent mintage data hasn't yet been fully reflected in the 4-coin sets yet. No doubt, the trend is up.

If you consider the individual coins instead of a 4-coin set, the 2008-W AGEs when certified to either NGC or PCGS MS-69 seem to realize around $3,450 compared to around $3,625 for uncertified individual (4) coins. There is *significant variability* in the number for the 1/4 ozers, due to a wide swing (to the upside) because of the new mintage data. The 1/4 ozers are *significantly higher* but I don't have records for enough sales in each grade to nail it down perfectly.

The Unc Gold Buff 4-coin sets look more stable with the most recent sales for ungraded sets at $5,100 and $4,750 compared to the NGC MS-70 4-coin sets which have most recently come in at $5,500 and $5,350. The trend is still up for the Unc Buffs as well, although maybe not as sharply since they have already taken quite a jump.

If you consider the individual coins instead of a 4-coin set, the Gold Buffs when certified to either NGC or PCGS MS-69 seem to realize around $4,150 compared to around $4,950 for the (4) individual coins. However, there is *significant variability* in the MS-69 number, due to a wide swing (to the upside) in the 1 oz. price.

I didn't include data for either NGC MS-70 or PCGS MS-70, but as you might expect, the numbers go higher in both cases, more so for PCGS.

Comrade! Happy Kitchen!!image

P.S. Comrade, please note that I think my data is pretty good in spite of quite a bit of "smoothing over" of the data. Fuzzy logic, you know.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    "Slab 'em or sell the sets raw?"

Keep the buffs raw and sit on them for a few more years. '09 proof may be the last of the Mohicans. The scientific name for the buffalo is Bison bison, a one of a kind species that only lives in the US (and sometimes wandering to Canada). Buff fractional set is a one of a kind and not likely to be repeated so I wouldn't sell that until the constable was coming to kick you out of the house. JMHO
  • Options
    meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 751 ✭✭✭
    If the eagles are proof... I'd sell in o.g.p.

I'd hold on to the buffs for now.

The buffs may have their day in the sun vs the eagles, but its not today. Also, if I thought I had a buff ms70, I'd slab it, just in case those 'berries' pop out of nowhere.

Enjoy the new kitchen!!!

P.S. If I thought one or more of the eagles were pcgs 70's I'd really consider slabbing those, and find a cheaper one to replace its spot in the 4-coin set.