Home Precious Metals
Options

I used to say that nothing surprises me anymore....until today!

I'm in my store today (jewelry/coins) and these 2 folks come in with clipboards...I thought at first they were taking a survey/selling something or whatever, as they got closer I saw a ..........."star" emblem on the females jacket..so i'm thinken .........perfect...Here comes a warrant or summons or divorce papers...whatever.

I went the counter ,smiled and said ....how ya doing....they replied are you ....so and so...(my name)...I replied yup! they showed me ID's and introduced themselves as
United States Postal Inspectors/agents, and said they were there investigating a report/reports of something to do with buying/selling large amounts of bullion to avoid taxes or to hide assets of certain individuals......and so on.....as it went on I answered all of there questions to there satisfaction, (don't ask) it was all BS .......

Anyway after about an hour with these folks they realized I think, that I was not whatever they thought I was when they walked in.......anyway everyone kinda of lowered there "shields" and we stood around shooting the bull for a little while talking about coins and bullion, the meeting ended with the female agent purchasing a 10oz Engelhardt bar of silver from me @.75 cents per oz. over spot...........

I told this story to a friend tonite after work...he said they bought the bar for evidence.......

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Why would the postal service be interested in asset and tax issues? Why don't they stick to postal fraud and the such? It seems a bit beyond the scope of their authority, doesn't it?

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why would the postal service be interested in asset and tax issues? Why don't they stick to postal fraud and the such? It seems a bit beyond the scope of their authority, doesn't it?

imageimageimage >>

That's what I was thinking. Without a warrant, I'd be telling thanks but no thanks.
  • Options
    <<That's what I was thinking. Without a warrant, I'd be telling thanks but no thanks.
    >>

• Options
    Why would the postal service be interested in asset and tax issues? Why don't they stick to postal fraud and the such? It seems a bit beyond the scope of their authority, doesn't it?

I thought that also,
    from what I gathered in talking with th them was that someone reported to them that something was going on,
    someone with a grudge....etc.

But I was not about to say where is your warrant or talk to my lawyer as I think that they were probably just kicking the tires, I have nothing to hide period, so without them even asking or mentioning anything about my books or business I gave them consent to search if they wanted and access to my books, they declined to do either.

All and all they were very decent folks IMO....just doing there job.

• Options
    Did there badges look like this USPIS
    A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.
    Yogi Berra

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And so it begins...
  • Options
    Honest occifer, I was just kidding about running guns and drugs and bullion back and forth across the Gulf!
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭
    And people wonder why the USPS is billions in the red?
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And people wonder why the USPS is billions in the red? >>

Huh? I don't think so. --Jerry
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. But you might just double-check with whomever they were supposed to be from to make sure they're legit. I'd be more afraid of someone casing my place than the post office.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    "We're here from the government to help you"image
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wouldn't worry too much about it. But you might just double-check with whomever they were supposed to be from to make sure they're legit. I'd be more afraid of someone casing my place than the post office. >>

My mind would have never gone in that direction.....image
    Becky
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Weird. Doesn't sound right. Sounds like someone is abusing their position to... to do what?

Is this some sort of new, unusual way to grind down a coin dealer to get a good price on a silver bar?
  • Options
    postal service doing the job of the IRS? I doubt it.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The USPS doesn't bother to investigate cases of mail real fraud presented to them in airtight cases involving coins (ie theft and scams) so I don't know how they have time to be wandering into jewelry stores and buying silver bars.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>I wouldn't worry too much about it. But you might just double-check with whomever they were supposed to be from to make sure they're legit. I'd be more afraid of someone casing my place than the post office. >>