Home Sports Talk
Options

Bora$$ is up to his old tricks

It's one thing to be incredibly good at your job, it's another to manipulate and twist a situation to facilitate your own benefits & profits. Scott Boras has mastered both. He is now trying to force the owner’s hands to reveal how much jack they receive from revenue sharing & baseballs central fund. Somehow he believes that smaller market teams have received upwards of 80-90 million dollars. It's just another way for him to gain control of the negotiations for the players he represents. I'll give him this - he is indeed incredibly good at his job, but it's hard for me to comprehend in our economy that players actually need a raise. I sometimes wonder if he were on a flat salary vice commission (I'm told it's 5% of the contract he negotiates) would he have the same tenacity to chase down the absolute most money for his clients? He makes me sick!! If baseball has another lockout or strike, although he'll never admit it, he will have been a large contributing factor.

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice rant, but the man is the best in the business.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

<< <i>nice rant, but the man is the best in the business. >>

I agree, as a fan, I hate him...but if I were a player, the first call I would make if I needed an agent is Mr. Boras.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    He is a child, he DOES NOT have the best interest of the player on his mind. His negotiation techinque is "take his ball and go home" if he doesnt get his way...then you send the player back with his tail between his legs when no other team wants him(arod and v-tek). PAH-leeze
  • Options

<< <i>He is a child, he DOES NOT have the best interest of the player on his mind. His negotiation techinque is "take his ball and go home" if he doesnt get his way...then you send the player back with his tail between his legs when no other team wants him(arod and v-tek). PAH-leeze >>

Arod gets about 30 million dollars per year and Varitek got $10 million per year for four years at "his peak" -- he did his clients well.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    If I needed an agent, I'd call Ari Gold.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>He is a child, he DOES NOT have the best interest of the player on his mind. His negotiation techinque is "take his ball and go home" if he doesnt get his way...then you send the player back with his tail between his legs when no other team wants him(arod and v-tek). PAH-leeze >>

Arod gets about 30 million dollars per year and Varitek got $10 million per year for four years at "his peak" -- he did his clients well. >>

both of them initially WALKED and them came crawling back...regardless of how much they got
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Arod gets about 30 million dollars per year and Varitek got $10 million per year for four years at "his peak" -- he did his clients well. >>

both of them initially WALKED and them came crawling back...regardless of how much they got >>

so his technique worked, since all that mattered to the players was the bottom line
  • Options

<< <i>It's one thing to be incredibly good at your job, it's another to manipulate and twist a situation to facilitate your own benefits & profits. Scott Boras has mastered both. He is now trying to force the owner’s hands to reveal how much jack they receive from revenue sharing & baseballs central fund. Somehow he believes that smaller market teams have received upwards of 80-90 million dollars. It's just another way for him to gain control of the negotiations for the players he represents. I'll give him this - he is indeed incredibly good at his job, but it's hard for me to comprehend in our economy that players actually need a raise. I sometimes wonder if he were on a flat salary vice commission (I'm told it's 5% of the contract he negotiates) would he have the same tenacity to chase down the absolute most money for his clients? He makes me sick!! If baseball has another lockout or strike, although he'll never admit it, he will have been a large contributing factor. >>

Was listening to this on ESPN radio, and was wondering how much each team does get? Sounds like a lot of teams aren't spending the money the get? If the teams are getting 80 million each, does it have to be spent on free agents? Gotta admit he makes you think.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

<< <i>so his technique worked, since all that mattered to the players was the bottom line >>

I'm pretty sure A-Rod worked his own deal after Boras failed.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>so his technique worked, since all that mattered to the players was the bottom line >>

I'm pretty sure A-Rod worked his own deal after Boras failed. >>

That was my recollection of how it went down too. The Yankees did the right thing and said, "fine, see you later chump" and then A-Rod went back to them, begging for another shot and he did it without Boras present.
  • Options

<< <i>If I needed an agent, I'd call Ari Gold. >>

I'd call Charlie Runkle. image
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Buck Fora$$

Though if I was a player, my attitude would probably change in a heartbeat.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If I needed an agent, I'd call Ari Gold. >>

I'd call Charlie Runkle. image >>

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The AROD deal was successul for Boras and his client no matter what the spin is today. First it was Boras that got that clause in the contract in the first place. At the time of the opt out, AROD had 3 years at $26m per left on his deal or $78m.

Boras exercised the opt out and his client ended up getting an additional $222m and 7 years. Regardless of the path it took to get there, AROD did very well being a Boras client (which he still is today). Without the opt-out clause, AROD would be entering the last year of his deal looking for a new contract in a recession. So tell me how Boras didn't help AROD?

No one puts a gun to the owners head and makes them sign a deal. Boras can't help it if the teams are too cheap to higher good GMs. Also I applaud what he is doing regarding baseball's finances. The cost of a sporting event goes up every year, I want the owner so to spend what it takes to get a winner.

Mike
  • Options
    I don't think I agree, ndleo. When the Yankees halted negotiations it was very damaging to A-Rod's reputation. He and Boras looked greedy and foolish. Who knows how much those shenanigans cost A-Rod in endorsements, good will, and public opinion?

I'd also argue that A-Rod did well because he's A-Rod not because he was represented by Boras. He would have signed a record-breaking contract regardless of his agent.
  • Options
    Arod's reputation? Right.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I think Boras is a good fit for some and not for others. If you are the type of player willing to take the "home town discount," want to have a good reputation, etc... then Boras is not right for you. If you are the type of player that wants to make the most money possible then he is your man. Right or wrong he is very good at getting his players a lot of money. While you can point to a couple of potential failures you can count a huge number of cases where he got his players, including new draftees, huge dollars. Most every "record setting" contract was by Boras I bet.
  • Options
    Baseball might be one of the few industries where the thought is that the employees should make more than the owner of the company (team). Isn't the purpose of investing the money they make into buying a team to 'make money?' I am absolutely NOT on the owners side on this, my beef is with the agents who believe they can 'control' the market for players and manipulate and be deceitful to owners raising the price of salaries to astronomical levels. Yea, yea, yea, I know the owners have to sign off on the salaries of the contracts but that fact doesn't make this $hit soup taste any better!
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

<< <i>...If you are the type of player that wants to make the most money possible then he is your man.... >>

Not sure I buy this in A-Rods case. If he is paying 4% of his $275M contract to Boras that is $11M to his agent who didn't dictate any terms to the Yanks. My guess is A-Rod could have had some really expensive contract lawyers look over the deal for say $1M. That is $10M A-Rod won't get back.

Here is the article I remember of how his deal went down:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3112799

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a lot of teams aren't spending the money they get? If the teams are getting 80 million each......

Geez where have I heard this before??

Steve
    Good for you.