Home PSA Set Registry Forum

70's Grading Special Results

Hello All -

I know that we all appreciate, congratulate, the sharing of grading information as we get it. I know i have found some of your recent results intriguing and educational.

I submitted 25 cards to the 70's Set registry Special.
As regards turn around time:

PSA logged them in on 3/6/02

PSA posted my grades today 3/13/02!

One week! Totally incredible!!

As for the grades

I submitted 1 Topps 1976, 19 Topps 1978, and 5 Topps 1979.

Grade Breakdown
PSA 7 - 6 cards
PSA8OC - 3 cards
PSA8 - 9 cards
PSA9OC - 1 card
PSA9 - 6 cards

As discussed on this board before, late 70's material is very tough finding raw in high grade and then submitting successfully. In fairness to PSA though I did know 2 of the cards could be OC. I sent a 78' Murray RC that was definitely OC a sure as the sun rises I got an 8OC.
How about some good news.
1976 Ryan PSA 8 - Oh yeah! This is actually the 1 card I submitted for my daughter for her set.
The 6 PSA 9's were all from my 78' set.
#201 Batting Leaders
#255 Ruess
#403 Harrelson
#479 Cardinals Team card
#580 Carew Oh yeah!
#674 Knight
The tough 78' Molitor came back a 7. (Yes some ink smear)

I am one of those few who doesnt usually argue for the "no qualifiers" invoice. Funny thing happened on the way to the Forum though. I asked for no qualifiers on this submission and it was ignored. I think I will take them as they are however.

All in all this submission averages out right at about PSA 8. As always you learn some things. This was my first submission of late 70's material and I picked up on some of what PSA is lookig for in ths category. Hope every body gets something out of this post.
Would also appreciate breakdowns from anybody else who has submitted from these particular years.
Thanks
RayB69Topps and others
Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!

Comments

• FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Nice job Ray!

I'm awaiting grades on an invoice that was received on 3/12. Hopefully, the turnaround time stays the same. These are all cards that I picked up at the Ft. Washington show. Lotta nice material there. I wish I had more time to spend than just the 4 hours on Friday night.

Oh, and if you're interested - I'll offer $10 for the Carew 9. You'll make $4 the easy way!
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Late1970sToppsLate1970sTopps Posts: 750 ✭✭✭
    Ray:

I am currently in the process of moving and just viewed your post today. It just so happens that I received the result of my latest submission of 78's from PSA. Here are the details:

Date received by PSA: March 4th
    Date grading results were posted: March 14th (I guess)

Here is a breakdown of the 43 cards I submitted under the set registry special:

PSA 10's - 1 (Jim Barr)
    PSA 9's - 35
    PSA8's - 7

All of the cards are NQ's. I do request that all the cards I submit be graded without qualifiers. When I do so, I write it on the invoice, the box holding the cards, and on the individual card labels. Although this may seem like overkill, I don't get qualifiers anymore like I used to when I just wrote it on the invoice.

Frank Smith
    (fesmith68@yahoo.com)
    Looking for 1975, 1978, and 1979 Topps Baseball in high end PSA 9 and PSA 10.

Thanks. RayB.
  • Late1970sToppsLate1970sTopps Posts: 750 ✭✭✭
    Good Morning Ray:

I was pretty pleased as well. If you would like to view my invoice, the number is 8002073.

I'm building the set in 9 or better and with this shipment my completion percentage will be over 20%. I'm also pleased about the Jim Barr card as it makes the 7th PSA 10 in my set.

I try to be pretty selective about what I send in. I usually look at the cards three times before they make it to the submit pile. I can tell you that, from what I remember, all of the cards that received 8's did so for centering purposes. They were in that 65/35-60/40 range that may or may not receive the MINT grade.

This shipment came from a wax box I recently opened. I submitted the stars in a previous shipment and just got around to submitting the commons and stars I initially overlooked.

Congratulations on the Carew in PSA 9. That is a DARN tough card. I hope I'm lucky enough to come across one in my travels. If nothing else, if I get to that 90% completion number and I don't have a Carew, I will know who to bug! JUST KIDDING!

Frank Smith
    (fesmith68@yahoo.com)
    Looking for 1975, 1978, and 1979 Topps Baseball in high end PSA 9 and PSA 10.
  • Spectacular list. Even out of wax packs straight to PSA this many 9's is great success Frank. Nice pull on the PSA 9 #700 Bench.
    As I may have said on another thread, I recently bought a NRMT/MT 78' set dirt cheap. Many more of the commons out of this set will probably grade 8 or 9. I will take a second run through these with much more deliberateness and see what else is submitable. I still amintain high grades on this issue are not as easy as one might think, but congrats you really nailed it!
    RayB69Topps
  • MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    Interestingly, I have two invoices waiting; one noted received on 3/5/02 and the other on 3/6/02. Today, grades for the 3/6/02 invoice were posting; no posting done on the 3/5/02 lot. Go figure! In any event, here are my grades from this invoice:

1 1971 TOPPS 619 CHECKLIST 644-752 N/A 8
    2 1971 TOPPS 625 LOU BROCK N/A 6
    3 1971 TOPPS 648 METS ROOKIES FOLKERS, MARTINEZ, MATLACK 8
    4 1971 TOPPS 650 RICH ALLEN N/A 8OC
    5 1971 TOPPS 663 MARV STAEHLE N/A Not Holdered, Re-Colored
    6 1971 TOPPS 721 JOHN MORRIS N/A 8
    7 1971 TOPPS 740 LUIS APARICIO N/A 8PD
    8 1976 TOPPS 300 JOHNNY BENCH N/A 8
    9 1976 TOPPS 346 TY COBB ALL TIME ALL-STAR 8
    10 1976 TOPPS 600 TOM SEAVER N/A 9
    11 1977 TOPPS 480 CARL YASTRZEMSKI N/A 8
    12 1978 TOPPS 5 PETE ROSE RECORD BREAKER 8
    13 1978 TOPPS 20 PETE ROSE N/A 8
    14 1978 TOPPS 205 VICTORY LEADERS N/A 8
    15 1978 TOPPS 360 MIKE SCHMIDT N/A 9

Overall, I did better than I expected. For me, really only two major disappointments: (1) PSA 6 71 Brock; and (2) the 71 Topps Marv Staehle. On the Brock, I am not sure why it got a 6, I thought it was a 7 card. I am anxious to give it another look. On the common, I totally missed that one. Granted, I did not look at it under magnification before sending it in; I just went through all of my 71 commons from my set and picked out the few I thought would garner 8s (nailed the John Morris for what it is worth). I wish I could recall where I picked up the colored card; I believe it was through a major dealer though I can't say for sure. In any event, probably another reason to get as many 71s graded as possible; a lot of crooks attempt coloring on these cards. The Matlack rookie is a nice surprise; the Allen and Aparacio's I thought were straight 7s; did not think they would get the bump with the qualifiers.

On the 76 through 78 cards, I scanned the star cards from my sets and picked out the cards I thought had chances at at least 9s. I hit 2 out 7; I hoped to have done better. In any event, I am very pleased with the 76 Seaver. I checked the population report and learned I own 1 of only 4 graded 9s with none graded higher!! I will probably sell it nonetheless and replace it with a PSA 8 in my set; I can use the extra money to buy more cards. For my tastes and standards, I am happy with an 8 in most cases. With respect to the 78 Schmidt, I think I will keep it (high population in 9) and perhaps work on a 78 Topps graded set (my favorite year; the year I started collecting).

All told, this was fun. I think I get more enjoyment out of sending cards in and getting grades (even with the disappointments) than buying cards already graded. I would like to hear what anyone else got.

• Are you selling the 77 Yaz 8??
  • MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    Kurt-- I plan on keeping the Yaz; it is part of my complete set. Had it received a 9, I would have sold it and replaced it with an 8. Thanks for the inquiry and good luck on your 77 set.

• GATOR5GATOR5 Posts: 654
    HELLO FOLKS I'M NEW TO THE PARK, THIS MESSAGE IS TO FRANK AND ANYONE WHO CARES. NICE CARDS FRANK I NOTICED YOU ON THE SET REGISTRY FOR THE 78'S. I'M ALSO COLLECTING THE SET UNDER THE MM COLLECTION. PSA REALLY STEPPED IT UP ON THE RETURN TIME. I'VE JUST RECEIVED MY GRADES BACK TODAY WOW!!! I'M SITTING HERE WITH A GRIN. HERE'S THE BREAKDOWN. 42 CARDS ALL NINES, WITH 9 TENS. I ABOUT DIED. INVOICE 240423. NOT TO MENTION THE 81 TEAM CARDS..THE 81'S ARE CHERRY PICKED FROM ABOUT 4 RACK CASES. ANYWAY FRANK I WAS WONDERING IF YOU HAD A DOUBLES IN 10'S. ENDED UP WITH DOUBLE TENS OF DAVE MAY AND LENNY RANDLE. I'M WILLING TO TRADE IF YOU DO HAVE ANY THANKS MATT....KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK FRANK