Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Are there any unopened boxes of '52 Topps that are still intact?

Also, did Mr. Mint bust all of the ones he found?
-- Ryan Bell

Comments

• jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭
    Mastro's sold the same unopened box twice around 2003/04.

They claimed it was a high series box as one pack was opened by the owner in 1952 and then put back into the box but a lot of people questioned that. John

Sorry, forgot to add, I think mr mints find was vending not wax packs

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mastro's sold the same unopened box twice around 2003/04.

They claimed it was a high series box as one pack was opened by the owner in 1952 and then put back into the box but a lot of people questioned that. John

Sorry, forgot to add, I think mr mints find was vending not wax packs >>

Fuget about it. chaz
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

Fuget about it. chaz >>

BGS grades sheet cuts. Boopotts
  • jamesryanbelljamesryanbell Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭
    Ok you guys lost me.
    -- Ryan Bell
  • Mark Murphy had that shoebox of 84 wax he got from that old lady. Unsure what he did with them.

BBCKid

Mr. Mint found a Box?

Link
    imageimageimage
    The fictional account from the spring of 2004.

"One day, years before many collectors were born and at a time when others of us were just children, our consignor's father came home from work with a gift. "Here, Sport, see what you think of these," Dad said to his son, as he handed over a small package. The boy, aware that an unexpected present from his father usually originated at the local confectionery wholesaler, lit up at the sight of the box, and positively beamed as his taste buds anticipated its contents. His fingers fumbled a bit, too, since Dad passed along a couple of gumdrops, and a single, large pack that obviously contained some kind of trading cards, at the same time the box was conveyed. With genuine enthusiasm, the young man exclaimed, "Thanks, Dad," as he ran off to examine the new things.

The green-and-red box felt substantial—obviously, it held more than a few additional gumdrops or a small number of jawbreakers—so a more dramatic treat was clearly in store. A special gift deserves a private, uninterrupted setting, and, in that spirit, the boy gravitated toward his room. He settled on the bed and popped in a gumdrop before looking down at the box's lid. And this is what he saw:

MR. RETAILER -

Topps Bubble Gum with Giant Baseball Picture Cards bring
    you, for the very first time, full-color photographs of famous
    Big Leaguers in the NEW BIG SIZE. Each card includes
    the player's autograph, biography and official, lifetime
    statistical record.

Never offered before, this giant-size, prize collection will
    be cherished through the years by every lover of the great
    American pastime.

Every kid will want the complete set!

INSIST ON TOPPS GIANT-SIZE BASEBALL CARDS!

The boy didn't know at the time that this box, with the advertisement on its lid announcing its maker's marketing intentions and barely concealing the company's pride, was given directly to his father by a Topps executive. He had no concept of the earnestness with which the manufacturer proclaimed a future commitment to its NEW BIG SIZE cards. And he certainly had no idea that Mickey Mantle's first Topps card (perhaps, even more than one of them!) could be inside, or that the 24-Count carton, held in his youthful grip, would become more sought-after than a wheelbarrow full of nickels. But, circumstances sometimes conspire to provide a favorable outcome, and that's exactly what happened on this boy's long-ago afternoon.

Having taken the edge off his sweet tooth with the gumdrop, faded by now to pellet-size on his tongue, the boy could concentrate for a moment on the loose pack. He tore open the wrapper, and his eyes immediately widened at the stick of gum inside. To his perspective the size of a German tank's tread, it was definitely something to be dealt with later! Five huge, color cards, too - just as the box top promised. Let's see...Posedel, Abrams, Sleater, Castiglione and...DeMaestri. Aren't there any good guys in these new cards?

"Dinner!" "Coming, Mom!" The three-word dialogue marked the conclusion of the boy's solitary interlude with his treasures. Later that evening, as his son played outside, Dad saw the box sitting beside the young man's nightstand. He also noted the opened pack, as well as the cellophane wrappers which, earlier, had been rapidly stripped of the gumdrops inside. Let's put this away for now. No need to use 'em up all at once. And so the box, its wonders soon forgotten and still-unexplored, commenced what would become a nearly 50-year hibernation.

A box can remain still, but a world continues to turn. The boy became a man. Memories, like most features of human experience, are cyclical. In search of those recollections, and to view a life's past pleasures, the man rediscovered the box. Thus, the phenomenal relic emerges at this time to the light of a new day—into very different surroundings.

Now, pulses race in boys and men of every age, upon viewing the unmistakable sight of the 1952 Topps Baseball box. Would any of them handle it casually, or toss it onto the bed? No way! With care befitting its status, each of its twenty-four 5¢ packs has been graded by Global Authentication and placed in that company's innovative, protective encapsulation. Each one is original and undisturbed, and each one holds a potential wealth of Mantles and Robinsons, Mathews and Campanellas. We're sure that some of those "good guys" from the issue's 5th Series, and 6th Series "high numbers," are indeed inside these emotionally stirring, factory-fresh packages.

The packs' grades include: Graded GAI NM 7: 1 pack; GAI EX-MT 6: 18 packs; GAI EX+ 5.5: 5 packs."

We can't forget the box itself. The 2-piece, 8" x 5-5/8" x 1-1/2" container is an advertising display artifact of overall Near Mint quality. A couple of small staple holes can be seen on the lid (not affecting Topps' heartfelt sales pitch) and a few inconsequential marks appear on the bottom, but, essentially, it looks just like it did the day Dad brought it home.

This offering contains one of the most significant hobby "finds" within recent memory, and its meaning is clear to any collector who's ever hungered for the indescribably energizing sensation of seeing '52 Topps high numbers in their completely original, unopened state. Here, truly, is the ultimate item. Even in a hobby that's given more pleasure, to more people, than just about any other avocation, it simply doesn't get any better than this.

Oh...the one pack that the boy did open? It's here, too. The winning bidder will part the torn wrapper, share the feeling of first espying five brand-new cards behind that big stick of gum, and involuntarily exult that two of them are "high numbers." Someone will blissfully enjoy that part of the experience. We only hope he doesn't try to chew the gum.

• flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    Boxes? I have learned enough never to say never. There was some controversy in that '52 wax box that Mastro sold. If I am not mistaken it ended up in a different auction shortly thereafter. Think the guy paid about $220,000 including the juice from Mastro, and then sold it -- went for about $170,000.

The find by Rosen was a stack of cards, many high numbers. It was not from vending that I am awhere. The guy had like 50 Mantles and multiples of other high numbers. Rosen advertised the cards in his flyer and was asking crazy sums at the time for the mint cards. What a bargain in hindsight. Somewhere I saw a copy of his ad in SCD. Amazing!

Murphy had a find of unopened packs. He actually busted many of them I was told. He and a coupe of friends. He put some up on eBay back in 2001 or so.

Try even finding a pack for sale nowadays.

<< <i>Boxes? I have learned enough never to say never. There was some controversy in that '52 wax box that Mastro sold. If I am not mistaken it ended up in a different auction shortly thereafter. Think the guy paid about $220,000 including the juice from Mastro, and then sold it -- went for about $170,000. >>

Manny, that's how I remember it too. I think the original buyer had some family medical issues so he consigned it about 6 months after buying it. John

So it seems that the answer is "no"?
    -- Ryan Bell
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Maybe some of those 300-500 hi-number cases are intact on the bottom of the Atlantic.

<< <i>Maybe some of those 300-500 hi-number cases are intact on the bottom of the Atlantic. >>

lol
    -- Ryan Bell
  • Lot 50. Complete 1952 Topps Baseball Five-Cent Wax Box with 24 Packs
    The Holy Grail redux. This is an actual complete unopened box of 1952 Topps packs that came from the original confectionaire in Ontario, Canada. Given to him directly by an executive of the Topps Gum Company, the confectionaire gifted it to his son as the ultimate prize. Better than any Red Ryder Daisy Rifle, or a roomful of comic books, inside these wax packs lie the first truly great modern baseball card set. The brainchild of Topps’ Sy Berger, Woody Gelman and the rest of their team, this is the one that defined an industry. Packs such as these were bursting with delicious slabs of cardboard so much tastier than the gum. Inside was even the “true” Mickey Mantle rookie card, the “Honus Wagner Card” of the time. The confectionaire’s son immediately opened one of the wax packs unearthing five “common” (with apologies to their mothers) cards: Posedel, Abrams, Sleater, astiglione and DeMaestri. But the fact that these cards were from the high and semi high 5th and 6th series’ provides a potential bonanza for what is inside. Thank the baseball card gods he did not pull a “star”, upon his father’s direction the disappointed youngster put the rest of the unopened cards away and they went into a veritable hibernation for over a half a century. The remaining 23 unopened five-cent packs have been graded by Global Authentication and perfectly encapsulated for preservation. A wealth of “priceless” cards wait inside with a potential for a number of Jackie Robinson, Ed Mathews, Roy Campanella and of course Mickey Mantle cards. The packs' grade as follows: GAI EX-MT 6: 18 packs; GAI EX+ 5.5: 5 packs. Also included is the pack the boy originally opened to round out this complete box with a total of 24 packs. The original display box is in itself magnificent. This two-piece, 8 x 5 5/8 x 1 1/2" piece of cardboard splendor is an artifact of worship. Overall, it is in beautiful condition with only a couple of small staple holes barely visible on the lid and a few inconsequential marks on the bottom. This very box was recently sold at auction for over $200,000. In fact, the original confectionaire’s family consigned it. However, the buyer has now placed it back on the market for personal reasons that forced its sale. One of the most significant pieces in all of collecting returns to you in an exclusive engagement, which could be its swan song. The only 1952 Topps complete box ever to have been sold publicly since the corner candy store boasted them in the summer of ’52. Gum included.

Final Bid: $142,000.00
    Price Realized:$166,850.00

Lelands Box
    imageimageimage
  • Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Maybe some of those 300-500 hi-number cases are intact on the bottom of the Atlantic. >>

lol >>

I have said before how I would interested in researching the Topps landfills at the Duryea and Brooklyn locations for discarded product. Would not the wax form a buffer to the elements? I would imagine that, but for insects going after the gum, cards in a wax pack in a box in a case may have survived?
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

lol >>

I have said before how I would interested in researching the Topps landfills at the Duryea and Brooklyn locations for discarded product. Would not the wax form a buffer to the elements? I would imagine that, but for insects going after the gum, cards in a wax pack in a box in a case may have survived? >>

Absolutely zero chance, weather gets through everything- especially 50+ years worth of it.
  • MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    I was a dealer at a big show at Nassau Coliseum back in the day, right after the find. Rosen was on the end of the aisle to the left as you came in. Four tables or so as I remember. Anyway, the only cards he brought that day, and displayed, were about 50 drop dead gorgeous 52 Mantles, spread across a number of showcases with a big handwritten sign "$5,000" a card.

I stopped. I gawked. I went about my business selling Juan Gonzalez rookies :-P

As someone who saw them first hand, all together like that... they were THAT nice.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was a dealer at a big show at Nassau Coliseum back in the day, right after the find. Rosen was on the end of the aisle to the left as you came in. Four tables or so as I remember. Anyway, the only cards he brought that day, and displayed, were about 50 drop dead gorgeous 52 Mantles, spread across a number of showcases with a big handwritten sign "$5,000" a card.

I stopped. I gawked. I went about my business selling Juan Gonzalez rookies :-P

As someone who saw them first hand, all together like that... they were THAT nice. >>

Duff

What year was that?

Cool story - Mike
    Mike
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the BBCardKid story about his pack find:

I remember when he advertised this in SCD:

imageimage

He bought them from the lady in 1996 - 84 total packs - you can see some were 8 pack cellos which were sold in candy stores after 1952 I believe.

He had them for sale in SCD for about 1700 bucks - I never spent that kind of money on one item back then - that's definitely a "fish that got away!"

The packs looked pristine to me.

mike
    Mike
  • I'd pay $2500 to crack one, anything more would be too high. I like Steve's 55 Topps AA cellos but those are extremely high in price.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Fuget about it. chaz >>

BGS grades sheet cuts. Boopotts >>

PSA grades hand cuts. chaz

<< <i>Ok you guys lost me. >>

Inside joke son..... you would have to have been around awhile to get it. chaz
  • stevekstevek Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

lol >>

I have said before how I would interested in researching the Topps landfills at the Duryea and Brooklyn locations for discarded product. Would not the wax form a buffer to the elements? I would imagine that, but for insects going after the gum, cards in a wax pack in a box in a case may have survived? >>

they've turned into petrified cards.
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    They'd all be sticking together like some of the upper deck and stadium club wax product do.
  • I would think there still is some, but as years go on there are less and less "finds" out there. Teh same with antiques, the "road show" programs have turned everyone's crap into treasure.

<< <i>I would think there still is some, but as years go on there are less and less "finds" out there. Teh same with antiques, the "road show" programs have turned everyone's crap into treasure. >>

I agree with you.....it's sickening when I go to a garage sale and see late 80's and early 90's cards sitting on a table with high beckett prices on them.....then if you try to inform the sellers politely that there is no way they will get the prices listed they sic their dogs on ya
  • release the hounds!!!
  • AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

<< <i>release the hounds!!! >>

imageimage

<< <i>

Inside joke son..... you would have to have been around awhile to get it. chaz >>

"Son", huh? ok. lol.
    -- Ryan Bell
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Inside joke son..... you would have to have been around awhile to get it. chaz >>

"Son", huh? ok. lol. >>

Chaz is like a father figure in this forum.

• flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

<< <i>have said before how I would interested in researching the Topps landfills at the Duryea and Brooklyn locations for discarded product. Would not the wax form a buffer to the elements? I would imagine that, but for insects going after the gum, cards in a wax pack in a box in a case may have survived? >>

I saw the time of your post...much too early to be drinking...that much anyhow--LOL!!

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

"Son", huh? ok. lol. >>

Chaz is like a father figure in this forum. >>

That's right. Thanks for a little respect for this old timer. chaz
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

"Son", huh? ok. lol. >>

but he forgot "Papa dont preach"

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

"Son", huh? ok. lol. >>

but he forgot "Papa dont preach" >>

See ! No respect. chaz
  • fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Dont believe a word Rosen puts in print in his ads. He did the same thing with the Tango Egg find....exaggerates and takes credit where he doesnt deserve it.

<< <i>Dont believe a word Rosen puts in print in his ads. He did the same thing with the Tango Egg find....exaggerates and takes credit where he doesnt deserve it. >>

Tango Egg find?
    -- Ryan Bell
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I've never heard Rosen's name associated with either the Tango Egg find or the reward that (Lifson?) offered to confirm existence of certain examples.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember at the Aneheim National in the mid-1990s, Mark Murphy was selling the packs from that Washington find. If I recall, the price was something like $1,500 each or two for $2,500. He also had entire cello bricks of packs for sale. I think he also was selling some crisp '52 commons that apparently came from some of the packs that were opened. Wish I had bought some.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also had a lead on a '52 brick of packs through another pack seller but the guy who owned it would never pull the trigger to sell them off.
    I was at a show in 92 or 93 and I swear Rosen had a ton of 52 packs, not exctaly sure when he made "the find" at the time I had already bought a Jordan rookie, a 66 mantle so all I could afford was a 5 cent wax wrapper when I got to his table image

<< <i>I was at a show in 92 or 93 and I swear Rosen had a ton of 52 packs, not exctaly sure when he made "the find" at the time I had already bought a Jordan rookie, a 66 mantle so all I could afford was a 5 cent wax wrapper when I got to his table image >>

How much was the wrapper? lol
    -- Ryan Bell
  • I remember seeing Mr Rosen at several of the shows after his big find of 1952 hi numbers.I have a friend that purchased a Mantle for $2400.00.I personally purchased a Reese and Campy for $400.00 for the pair.The Mantle was graded by PSA as a 7 and my two Brooklyn Dodgers were also 7's.He still owns the Mantle but I sold the Reese and Campy back in 2006.

I remember hearing the story from Rosen and reading in several publications that the find of 1952 Topps hi numbers where from cello packs.The couple Rosen purchased them from greeted him at their house with a silver serving tray displaying around 30 Mantles.The remainder of the cards where in stacks by player and some where in series.I believe the original purchase price was $180-190 thousand dollars.The number of Mantle were about 65-75.

I remember Dick from the old Georgia Sports and Music purchased a couple of runs of the hi numbers and sold them as singles at shows when they carried singles.I remember vividly a show is Spartanburg, South Carolina with guests Eddie Mathews and Brooks Robinson.GS&M had a set up offering five Mantles for $3000 each from the find.All were off center but very sharp.

I also purchased three packs each of 1954 and 1955 Bowman from Mr Rosen from his Paris, Tennessee find of unopened wax packs.Many of the packs where damaged with insects on the gum and poor storage over the years. I remember one pack that he had opened for display that had a huge piece of the gum stuck to the front of a 1955 Bowman Mantle.
    The 1954 Bowman packs were $200.00 each and the 1955 Bowman packs were $195.00. I still own these unopened packs.

• AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    Hey, welcome to the forum! It's good to hear from another veteran collector.
  • bbcemporiumbbcemporium Posts: 684 ✭✭✭
    When I read Mr. Mint's book, I thought he said he bought all of the 52's for about $85,000. Regardless of what you think about him, still a great story
    Registry Sets

"Common sense is the best distributed commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it"
    I think the wrapper was 30-50 bucks at the time