Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

UPDATE - A FEW STATS ABOUT THE TOP FIVE MPL SET REGISTRIES

Matt's recent thread on this forum congratulating Tom Bender for completing his MPL set got me to relooking at these top sets in the Lincoln cent Matte Proof set Registry. What I found is that the top 5 currently are ALSO the top 5 All Time in this Set Registry. After reviewing the statistics I posted here this summer on the top 3, I find it absolutely fitting that I should expand on these statistics to include the top 5. Here are the facts as of today.

The all time and current #1 set is owned by Gerry. Since he has not publically stated his last name I will simply say that he owns the Thomas Irwin Collection which has a MPL Set Rating of 69.000 out of a best possible 69.158. He was inducted into the PCGS "Hall of Fame" this year.

The all time and current #2 set is owned by Stewart Blay. He is in the "Hall of Fame" and is universally known for his copper coin collection of early copper, Indian cents and Lincoln cents. His MPL collection has a Set Rating of 68.789.

The all time and current #3 set is owned by Doug Wright. His MPL collection has a Set Rating of 68.421

The all time and current #4 set is owned by Tom Bender. His MPL collection has a Set Rating of 68.211

The all time and current #5 set is owned by Peter Miller. His MPL collection has a Set Rating of 68.105

Next on the all time listing are retired sets with a best Set Rating of 67.84. The next best current rating of 67.05 is more than one full grade point below these five sets. I point this out only to show the superior effort that went into building these five sets. My complete MPL set has a Set Rating of 64.21 and I am as proud of that as I am sure all of you are of your own sets in whatever Set Rating PCGS has given.

Some key stats about these collections.

Top Pops:

Gerry has 6 of his 9 coins as TOP POP
Stewart has 7 of his 9 coins as TOP POP
Doug has 4 of his 9 coins as TOP POP
Tom has 3 of his 9 coins as TOP POP
Peter has 1 of his 8 RD coins as TOP POP and his 1 RB is a TOP POP
There are currently 31 RD TOP POP MPL's graded by PCGS. These 5 collectors own at least 21 of them!

The following 7 dates TOP POP are owned EXCLUSIVELY by these 4 collectors

1909VDB in PR67RD (2) Gerry & Stewart
1909 in PR68RD (1) Stewart
1910 in PR67RD (3) Gerry, Stewart & Tom
1912 in PR66RD (1) Gerry
1914 in PR68RD (2) Stewart & Doug
1915 in PR67RD (2) Gerry & Stewart
1916 in PR66RD (3) Gerry, Doug & Tom

Collection by Grade

Gerry's Set includes (5)PR67RD and (4)PR66RD
Stewart's Set includes (2)PR68RD, (4)PR67RD, (1)PR66RD and (2)PR65RD
Doug's Set includes (1)PR68RD, (2)PR67RD, (4)PR66RD and (2)PR65RD
Tom's Set includes (3)PR67RD, (4)PR66RD and (2)PR65RD
Peter's Set includes (7)PR66RD, (1)PR65RD and (1)PR66RB

Congratulations to all these gentlemen on their achievement with what is acknowledged in the hobby as a very limited availability of Lincoln cent Matte Proof coins. Only 15,314 were minted and to each own 9 in grade 65 and above TODAY is truly amazing IMHO.

Click HERE to view the MPL Set Registry.

Steveimage

Comments

• Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Congratulations to those top five for their dedication and also to all the other mpl collectors for the beautiful sets that are being built.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    I still have the lowest rated set (not counting the set that has no coins in it) - hope that counts for something....
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I still have the lowest rated set (not counting the set that has no coins in it) - hope that counts for something.... >>

Drew, it sure does to me. It shows you have an interest in collecting MPL's and you probably are aware of how rare all the dates and conditions are. As far as the lowest rated set, I think I have the honor of having the lowest graded MPL coin in this set registry at PR61RB. Good luck at building that set. Steveimage
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not only is the Top 5 in a world of their own, but the Top 10 is fabulous and deserving of recognition. With Rich having 2 amazing sets in the top 10 and Matt 1 in the top 10 and 2 in the top 20, the series is alive, well and in good hands.

Great stats Steve. Thanks for pointing out those incredible facts.