Home Sports Talk
Options

NL ROY - My head is going to explode!

jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
First, I have to spend all day listening to people criticize Belichick for the 4th down call, when it was clearly the higher percentage play to win the game.

Now, I learn that some guy named Chris Coughlin won the NL Rookie of the Year. I am a die-hard fantasy baseball player and never heard of Coughlin until I saw this announcement. How J.A Happ didn't win it is beyond me.

I'm at a complete loss for words.

Comments

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>First, I have to spend all day listening to people criticize Belichick for the 4th down call, when it was clearly the higher percentage play to win the game.

Now, I learn that some guy named Chris Coughlin won the NL Rookie of the Year. I am a die-hard fantasy baseball player and never heard of Coughlin until I saw this announcement. How J.A Happ didn't win it is beyond me.

I'm at a complete loss for words. >>

The fact that you have never heard of Coghlan destroys your credibility on the issue. Happ wasn't even the best rookie pitcher. He got an earlier start than Hanson, so had more innings pitched and wins (the Phillies offense did not hurt either). Hanson has the same # of Ks in 40 fewer innings, and better peripherals in general. He had a better WHIP, better ERA, better BAA, and gave up only half as many HRs in 75% as many innings.

Coghlan- 321/390/460 in 504 ABs
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Kind of crazy for a 'big' baseball fan to never have heard of him...
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    once again voters went with the sexy pick. Good pitching is WAAAAAY more impressive than good hitting, especially with roids. Oh well, when Happ
    wins 15 next year and Coughlin is in AAA we can all say we told you so.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>First, I have to spend all day listening to people criticize Belichick for the 4th down call, when it was clearly the higher percentage play to win the game.. >>

Step away from the Hoodie Kool-Aid.
  • Options
    Are some of you serious??? Coghlan finished 6th in the NL in batting average overall. He was 1st post all star break in the NL. He also strung together an 8 game multi hit streak.

Happ fizzled down the stretch. Hanson was good, but Coghlan deserved the award more.
  • Options

<< <i> I am a die-hard fantasy baseball player and never heard of Coughlin until I saw this announcement. >>

Something tells me you are a cellar dweller in fantasy baseball if you've never heard of this guy. image
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I thought McCutchen might get some more love.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    "Happ fizzled down the stretch. Hanson was good, but Coghlan deserved the award more. "

spot on analysis.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    people criticize Belichick for the 4th down call, when it was clearly the higher percentage play to win the game.

You've never heard of Coughlin and you think that going for it on 4th and 2 was the higher pct. play to win the game? When did you start watching sports, like last year?

I'm not sure going for it was the wrong play but it certainly was far riskier a play than punting it away in that spot and making Indy go the length of the field in 2 minutes, especially when your D had already picked Manning twice to that point.

It was a gutsy call, but not a high pct one, no way.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Caught a glimpse of the fourth down play before I went to work Monday morning (I start at midnight) ....I thought they were on the Colts 28, not their own 28...found out when I got to work that they were in there own territory. If they had been in Colts territory I would have liked the decision, not so the way it panned out. al.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Happ struggled down the stretch?? He pulled a side muscle in early September, sat out for 2 weeks and came back to win 2 games in the final 2 weeks of the season! Besides, it is Rookie of the Year, not "Rookie of September" or "Rookie of the 2nd Half"

I whole-heartedly agree Hanson has more talent and upside, and will undoubtedly have the better career, but Happ deserved the award.

As for my fantasy baseball credentials - I finished first this year, thanks though.

grote15 - it was ABSOLUTELY the higher percentage play to go for it - the math backs him up. I will defend this to the death.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>Happ struggled down the stretch?? He pulled a side muscle in early September, sat out for 2 weeks and came back to win 2 games in the final 2 weeks of the season! Besides, it is Rookie of the Year, not "Rookie of September" or "Rookie of the 2nd Half" >>

Saying that Happ "struggled down the stretch" is bordering on outrageous unless by "down the stretch" one means a specific and arbitrary timeframe like the two weeks he sat out. Let's look at Happ's numbers post all-star break: 6-4, 79 IP, 1.30 WHIP, 2.96 ERA, and 58 Ks. I think most teams would be "happ"y (sorry, couldn't resist) to get those numbers from their "struggling" pitchers.

• Options

<< <i>Happ struggled down the stretch?? He pulled a side muscle in early September, sat out for 2 weeks and came back to win 2 games in the final 2 weeks of the season! Besides, it is Rookie of the Year, not "Rookie of September" or "Rookie of the 2nd Half"

>>

Exactly--Happ was good in the first half and average in the second. It's not 'rookie of the first half' either. BA against him in the second half rose what, 40 points? He started good but by the time September rolled around most people forgot about him. As a starter, Hanson had Happ beat in pretty much all categories.

Sorry, a pitcher that goes 10-4 as a starter will never beat out a batter who hits .321 in a ROY vote.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>

<< <i>Happ struggled down the stretch?? He pulled a side muscle in early September, sat out for 2 weeks and came back to win 2 games in the final 2 weeks of the season! Besides, it is Rookie of the Year, not "Rookie of September" or "Rookie of the 2nd Half"

>>

Exactly--Happ was good in the first half and average in the second. It's not 'rookie of the first half' either. BA against him in the second half rose what, 40 points? He started good but by the time September rolled around most people forgot about him. As a starter, Hanson had Happ beat in pretty much all categories. >>

I'm not disagreeing with you about the vote, but I think you're wrong in your analysis of Happ's season.

I don't think there was such a huge drop-off in second half performance that you can say he was good in the first half and average in the second. Look at his splits. Yes, he wasn't as good in the 2nd half, but it's not like there were huge differences:

87 IP/79 IP
    70 Hits/79 Hits
    32 BB/24 BB
    1.17 WHIP/1.30 WHIP
    28 ER/26 ER
    61 Ks/58 Ks
    6-0/6-4
    2.90 ERA/2.96 ERA

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Happ wasn't even the best rookie pitcher. He got an earlier start than Hanson, so had more innings pitched and wins (the Phillies offense did not hurt either). Hanson has the same # of Ks in 40 fewer innings, and better peripherals in general. He had a better WHIP, better ERA, better BAA, and gave up only half as many HRs in 75% as many innings. >>

Wise words.

Hanson's advantage becomes even clearer when you compare his numbers to Happ's in J.A.'s starts only.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hanson was the superior and more dominant rookie pitcher this season and I seriously doubt there are many, if any, GMs that would take Happ over Hanson at this point.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.