Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA non-conistent Ticket grading

As a ticket collector was very excited when PSA started grading tickets several years back. Yet I am finding that they are not consistent with their grades or what they are grading. Now I understand that they are taking into account how a ticket presents itself and maybe because of that they are not grading quite like cards. Yet it seems that their is more give in the grading of older tickets than newer ones, and on ticket stubs there seems to be no separation from stubs that have rain checks and those that do not(Ebay #320447881428 71 WS ticket Stub). Also I have seen audit stubs on the bay graded right along with normal stubs (65 WS gm 7 comes to mind I believe it was an 8). It seems if you are going to grade tickets let get some consistence in what you are grading. Theirs nothing like going to your pop report seeing that their are 3 6s 2 7s and 1 8 and seeing the 8 on the bay with out a rain check or it is a audit stub.(Audit stub is the half the gate keeper keeps). Just my 2 cents. Thanks Mark

Comments

• Options
    E-mail Joe Orlando - he is normally very helpful!
  • Options
    I collect NFL tickets and like the ideal on PSA grading them. I would have a problem that the stubs they keep are getting labeled and cataloged as regular ticket stubs.

Been working at getting all the tickets to every Steve Young game...which appears to be about 200. Anyone have any help or maybe would like to trade stubs I would appreciate it.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Will keep my eyes open for Young tickets,since he was done before the Ravens came to town don"t believe he has any games played on Baltimore. I was hoping Mr Orlando or someone in PSA would catch wind of the post and just do a little checking on how the standards should be. Thanks for reading Mark PS GO RAVENS!!
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    i really like the fact that they grade tickets too. i had some problems with my last sub though. I subbed about 25 different tickets from sporting events to concerts to inaugurations.. anyways the 1957 Eisenhower U.S. PRESIDENT INAUGURATION-STUB got a psa 7. however the case was never sealed properly.. the flip and the ticket were moving all around the case. I contacted customer support and they were pretty helpful and told me that they will correct it free of charge. Overall i'm pretty happy with the way the tickets look slabbed. i also really like how they note anything unique that might have happened on the flip.

1 1 15979498 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 2004 NEW YORK METS-STUB STUB NYM-8,SF-2 MAY 5/MIKE PIAZZA HR #352 AS CATCHER-MLB RECORD Ticket US
    2 1 15979499 POOR 1 2005 NEW YORK YANKEES-FULL FULL YANKEES-5, ATHLETICS-0 MAY 7, MUSSINA-BLANTON Ticket US
    3 1 15979500 EXCELLENT 5 2004 A.L.C.S. GAME 1-FULL FULL YANKEES-10, RED SOX-7 OCT.12, MUSSINA-SCHILLING Ticket US
    4 1 15979501 GOOD 2 2008 NY YANKEES SEP.13-FULL FULL GM.1: RAYS-7, YANKEES-1 GM.2: YANKEES-6, RAYS-5 Ticket US
    5 1 15979502 EXCELLENT 5 2009 PROVIDENCE FRIARS-STUB STUB PROVIDENCE-81, PITTSBURGH-73 FEB.24,FRIARS BEAT #1 PANTHERS Ticket US
    5 2 15979503 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 2009 PROVIDENCE FRIARS-STUB STUB PROVIDENCE-81, PITTSBURGH-73 FEB.24,FRIARS BEAT #1 PANTHERS Ticket US
    6 1 15979504 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2009 KENTUCKY OAKS-STUB STUB 1ST-RACHEL ALEXANDER WINS BY 20-1/4 LENGTHS Ticket US
    7 1 15979505 MINT 9 2009 KENTUCKY DERBY-STUB STUB 1ST-MINE THAT BIRD 2D-PIONEER/NILE,3RD-MUSKET MAN Ticket US
    7 2 15979506 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 2009 KENTUCKY DERBY-STUB STUB 1ST-MINE THAT BIRD 2D-PIONEER/NILE,3RD-MUSKET MAN Ticket US
    8 1 15979507 GOOD 2 1998 PEARL JAM-STUB STUB CENTRE MOLSON AUG.20, MONTREAL, QUEBEC Ticket US
    9 1 15979508 NEAR MINT 7 1998 PEARL JAM-STUB STUB GREAT WOODS SEP.15, MANSFIELD, MASS. Ticket US
    10 1 15979509 POOR 1 1999 POISON/RATT-STUB STUB TWEETER CENTER JUL.15, MANSFIELD, MASS. Ticket US
    11 1 15979510 POOR 1 2001 BUCKCHERRY-STUB STUB LUPO'S HEARTBREAK HOTEL JUL.27, PROVIDENCE, R.I. Ticket US
    11 2 15979511 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 2001 BUCKCHERRY-STUB STUB LUPO'S HEARTBREAK HOTEL JUL.27, PROVIDENCE, R.I. Ticket US
    12 1 15979512 VERY GOOD 3 1987 WRESTLEMANIA III-STUB STUB PONTIAC SILVERDOME MAR.29, HULK HOGAN/ANDRE THE GIANT Ticket US
    13 1 15979513 MINT 9 1981 U.S. PRESIDENT INAUGURATION-FULL FULL RONALD REAGAN INAUGURATION-JANUARY 20 Ticket US
    14 1 15979514 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1992 N.E. PATRIOTS-STUB STUB BUFFALO-41, NEW ENGLAND-7 SEPTEMBER 27 Ticket US
    15 1 15979515 VERY GOOD 3 1994 N.E. PATRIOTS/TICKETMASTER-STUB STUB BUFFALO-38, NEW ENGLAND-35 SEPTEMBER 11 Ticket US
    16 1 15979516 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 2008 SR-71-FULL FULL PIERSIX PAVILION DEC.8, BALTIMORE, MD. Ticket US
    17 1 15979517 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 2008 BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN-STUB STUB ROADHOUSE AT THE LAKEFRONT AUG.30, MILWAUKEE, WI. Ticket US
    18 1 15979518 VERY GOOD 3 2000 DEF LEPPARD-STUB STUB TWEETER CENTER JUL.20, MANSFIELD, MASS. Ticket US
    19 1 15979519 EXCELLENT 5 1999 NY YANKEES/TICKETMASTER-FULL FULL YANKEES-6, EXPOS-0 JUL.18 DAVID CONE PERFECT GAME Ticket US

1 1 15979520 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1969 WOODSTOCK-FULL FULL MUSIC AND ART FAIR AUGUST 17 Ticket US
    2 1 15979521 NEAR MINT 7 1957 U.S. PRESIDENT INAUGURATION-STUB STUB DWIGHT D. EISENHOWER INAUGURATION-JANUARY 21 Ticket US

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    I'm not a fan of them graded and slabbing phantom tickets or audit stubs. Plus I agree they are inconsistant in the grading of them.
  • Options
    As a ticket collector and a PSA graded card collector.....I do not have a clue on what they look for on tickets when grading. Do any of your guys?
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm not a fan of them graded and slabbing phantom tickets or audit stubs. Plus I agree they are inconsistant in the grading of them. >>

If you are not a fan of graded tickets, why do you think they should not grade phantom tickets or audit stubs. Isn't that like me saying I don't like green balloons therefore no one should have them?

If you dont collect graded tickets, or submit them, then how do you have an opinion they are inconsistant? Can you regrade from eBay scans?

• Options
    I've submitted well over 100 tickets so I'm not sure what you're talking about. I don't like them slabbing phantom tickets cause the frickin games were never played therefore it confuses some people. Audit tickets aren't really "stubs" either. Actually if you go and look in the SMR magazine or even on a submission form, it states right on there that PSA doesn't grade these. They must have changed their minds Wonder why? $$$$$$$
  • Options
    I do know they where out sourcing the ticket grading up till maybe a few months ago. With cards you kinda of new the range it was going to get 6 or 7, 8 or 9 but with the tickets it is a crap shoot. Have a 63 game 1 stub expected maybe 5 or 6 came back 8. In the same breath 65 game 7 stub expected 8 or 9 came back a 6. You can always send in for regrade or crack and send yet thats $20.00 (not cheap). Still with all the gripes I still like the idea of having a header on the ticket slab stating what the game was and who did what, it put the history value into the ticket.
  • Options
    Thanks for your note Mark and Cubfan,

I never heard they out sourced the tickets at the start. I imagine that could be half the problem with consistent grading. It is also possible that the other half is people don't know what PSA is looking for in grading tickets. Like I noted before, I would not have a clue and would try to grade them like cards, but on a slightly easier scale.

I have seen maybe 1/4-1/3 graded ticket ebay sellers make notes such as you have...so there does appear to be a problem.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
  • Options
    ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I subbed about 25 different tickets from sporting events to concerts to inaugurations.. >>

I didn't know they're slabbing non-sports tickets. I gotta get a sub together & send some of these in...

The Cult from Tyranny & Mutation tour '73...

Metallica from Master of Puppets (think they called the tour something else)...1985...

The Church from their break through Starfish tour...

Mike
    "Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
  • Options
    I believe PSA does not graded ticketmaster like tickets, such as the Metallica. (What a concert that would have been though....I didn't get to see them till about 6-7 years ago.....wasn't the same.)
  • Options
    Holy hell! Metallica concert from 1985. That had to be friggin loud.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    I too am a ticket collector, Favres' that is. Here is a link to my set.

Favre tickets

As someone that collects and submits both cards and tickets, I would agree that they are less consistent with Tickets than cards. Even more so with stubs than full tickets. but they cya's with the disclaimer about eye appeal with stubs. all you have to do is look at my set above. i have pretty much all of the tickets scanned and you can see a larger range.

I can see why they dont grade ticketmaster tickets as i belive that some could be printed after an event. which is a pain as i have a few packer tickets i would like graded but cant for this reason. including a WC game against Atlanta in 1995 that I got straight from the Packers for winning the phone lottery for season ticket holders for open seats.

But yes there grading is hit and miss. Also sometimes I have had issues with them not knowing what a full ticket is. But have been able to talk to someone (i will have to look up whom it was again) who was very helpfull but with that problem but making sure that my larger submission were taken care of better in terms of id'ing tickets.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    I'm almost positive they'll grade tickmaster tickets, as I have a few ticketron ones. They will literally grade anything these days if you have the money, even if they say in writing they won't. Ticketron, phantom, audit stubs, high school games and proof tickets.
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    I am not a ticket collector either but this sounds an aweful lot like Red Man Tobacco cards can you get a graded 8 with the tab taken off? Because if you can't then you shouldn't get a ticket graded 8 with half of the stub missing.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    I've noticed that they will pretty much grade any ticket you send. I know it said that they won't grade ticketmaster tickets.. but i subbed a david cone perfect game ticket from ticket master.. and it was graded. But it did say "ticketmaster" on the flip. I think the grading standards are a bit looser than the card grading standards. Most tickets were stuffed in the pockets of the people that attended the game.. so if it looks pretty good.. even with a minor crease.. i wouldn't be suprised if the ticket graded a 4 or 5. I was shocked that the kentucky derby ticket i subbed got a 9. i litterally walked around with it in my pocket all day.. and was hammered by the end of the race
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    They'll pretty much grade a little league ticket now. It is frustrating though the standards they use sometimes. I have some that are razor sharp mint that should have gotten a 9 or 10, that came back 7 or 8's. Then some I submitted that I thought were 3's at best, came back as 5's and 6's. Doesn't make too much sense.