Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Why are jersey cards included in master sets?

Hi there. I was just looking at a couple of sets that I was thinking about starting and I am wondering why are jersey cards included in these sets? And if they allow jersey cards couldn't somebody try to get game used bat, stick, glove, and so on cards added to those sets also. The cards were made when the players were still playing, but isn't that a little overkill? Maybe I am wrong but I don't think game used cards should be included. They are inserts that the card company's put in just to sell their product. I just wanted to know how other people feel about game used cards being added to a master set.

Comments

• tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭
    "Master Set", not "Master Set minus game used cards"
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Master set is just that. A master set. I say leave them in as long as they were produced during the playing years.
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    the only cards excluded from master sets are:

1) Cards produced after the player's career is over (they will include cards from the immediately following year) (ie, player retired at the end of 2007 but they will include cards from 2008 from my understanding).

2) Cards that are serial numbered less than 5. So a 1/5 is included but a 1/4 is not.

you are talking about master sets. if you dont want jersey cards stick to the basic sets. the purpose of master sets is to include nearly all of the players cards from his direct playing career. hence why the inclusion of cards the season following his retirement.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    My feeling is that there's no point in complaining about what's required for modern player master sets (by which I mean 'players whose careers began in the last 20 years), since you're never going to finish the set anyway. In fact, you're never going to get close. And since there's no competition for modern player master sets, in the sense that there isn't a single player which more than two guys are aggressively collecting, you should just use the registry as a checklist and leave it at that.
    nm

<< <i>My feeling is that there's no point in complaining about what's required for modern player master sets (by which I mean 'players whose careers began in the last 20 years), since you're never going to finish the set anyway. In fact, you're never going to get close. And since there's no competition for modern player master sets, in the sense that there isn't a single player which more than two guys are aggressively collecting, you should just use the registry as a checklist and leave it at that. >>

while i agree that no one will ever complete it. i offer you to look at just the favre master set alone. i am at 55%, and there are two others at roughly 40% on a >2500 card set. i am sure if you look at some others you might find the same thing. i guess that is not aggressive enough for you though.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>My feeling is that there's no point in complaining about what's required for modern player master sets (by which I mean 'players whose careers began in the last 20 years), since you're never going to finish the set anyway. In fact, you're never going to get close. And since there's no competition for modern player master sets, in the sense that there isn't a single player which more than two guys are aggressively collecting, you should just use the registry as a checklist and leave it at that. >>

while i agree that no one will ever complete it. i offer you to look at just the favre master set alone. i am at 55%, and there are two others at roughly 40% on a >2500 card set. i am sure if you look at some others you might find the same thing. i guess that is not aggressive enough for you though. >>

You're very sexy when you get defensive.

You can define 'aggressive' any way you want. If it means 'one guy over 55%, and two guys over 40%' to you, then that's fine. To me, it means 'pop 3 PSA 10's sell for more than $10', but again that's just a subjective gauge. Also, note that the idea behind 'aggressive' is that the set is STILL being aggressively worked on- not that it was aggressively worked on at some point since its inception. Are three guys working hard on the Favre set? If so, then I stand corrected. Maybe they're all self submitting.
  • Boo, seems a little harsh to say no modern set collector will ever complete a set....

first off, one of the big whales has an Arod collection will the master set complete (maybe not 2009)

also Mattingly collectors, thers are many trying to collect his master set and a few are at 100%...

so just because a player has unlimited amount of modern cards, has not stopped some from trying to collect the master set....

master sets are the backbone to PSA.....why else would someone submit a $5 card????? cause they need it for the registry !!!!!!
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    For now until people realize they will never get close and end up giving up. I think it is way more likely someone gives up after 1000+ cards than pursue the next 3000.

Problem with these sets is they have little resell value, even worse than 70s to present graded sets. You pay tons in grading for basically common cards and at the end of the day to move the entire thing you have to take a severe discount to get rid of it.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Hi there thanks for the replies. I wasn't complaining about jersey cards being in a master set just was wondering why. It seems people agree with them being in there. I just thought it was a little overkill and stated my opinion.

Boo and Morgoth, so if I am reading your posts right you are basically saying, starting a modern registry set is an unattainable goal. Because of time and money spent on grading fees and purchasing cards that are already graded and also with the hundreds if not thousands of cards that could be added at anytime its not worth it. I am starting to agree with that. I think I will take your advice and use the master set as a loose checklist and maybe go the raw route.

For me its not about having the best set, because financially its not possible. I just enjoy collecting the cards of the players that I grew up watching and pretending to be when playing baseball and hockey.

Again thank you for the replies.
    Lately I've been selling off my low pop PSA 10 Ripkens and buying 9's. I've also been focusing more on my raw collection. I'll still buy 10's if the it's a decent price, but I'm staying away from buying PSA 10's that sell for a ton when the raw value is $1 (i.e. 1988 Topps).

<< <i>

<< <i>

while i agree that no one will ever complete it. i offer you to look at just the favre master set alone. i am at 55%, and there are two others at roughly 40% on a >2500 card set. i am sure if you look at some others you might find the same thing. i guess that is not aggressive enough for you though. >>

You're very sexy when you get defensive.

You can define 'aggressive' any way you want. If it means 'one guy over 55%, and two guys over 40%' to you, then that's fine. To me, it means 'pop 3 PSA 10's sell for more than $10', but again that's just a subjective gauge. Also, note that the idea behind 'aggressive' is that the set is STILL being aggressively worked on- not that it was aggressively worked on at some point since its inception. Are three guys working hard on the Favre set? If so, then I stand corrected. Maybe they're all self submitting. >>

you can find out when the set was last updated. i know for that the top three are actively, buy/selling and updating. Nearly all of mine are self submitted. most pop 3' in PSA 10 do sell for more than $10. like someone said above, i too will part with my 10's. i either trade with other active collectors (though not all of their sets are listed) or will sell a PSA 10 if I have a nine or another raw. as for just collecting raw...well the majority of my favre collection is still raw. i have narrowed my focus for psa grading at the present to mainly either high value cards (auto's and low serial #ed cards), cards already in the set or other cards i really like. masses of commons will be staying raw for now. plus this helps me focus on finishing out the cards that i need from 1991-1996 first.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • If a Master Set is to 'never be completed' somebody needs to explain why someone would start one. Afterall, isn't the reason for starting a set to gain completion? Putting a jersey card on a master set is about as redundent as putting a 1 of 1 insert in a master set. It's another way for this company to gain revenue for submissons that would never have otherwise been submitted.

<< <i>If a Master Set is to 'never be completed' somebody needs to explain why someone would start one. Afterall, isn't the reason for starting a set to gain completion? Putting a jersey card on a master set is about as redundent as putting a 1 of 1 insert in a master set. It's another way for this company to gain revenue for submissons that would never have otherwise been submitted. >>

I don't see how putting a jersey card in is as redundant as a 1 of 1 insert. Jerseys are pretty attainable unless they are low numbered ones. I also don't see why you think it would have never otherwise been submitted... it's a card of the player... it should be included. Is MASTER SET really that hard to understand? It's not a "Master Set minus cards that I don't feel should be included". If you don't like whats included in the Master Set, stick with the Basic set, no game used stuff there.
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    of course they should be
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Actually, game-used cards are allowed in the Basic Set if they are the base cards for the set. Example: Topps Jersey Edition Basketball (every card had a swatch in it).

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Refering back to the Original Post,
    Other game-used equipment (besides jerseys) are included in the Albert Pujols Master Set.

I have the #4 AP Master set (dead last). I have 11 of 1007.

Only one person of the 4 are consistently adding cards. The #1 guy adds 1-10 cards per month. I just add in random Pujols that I have to round out my PSA Submissions.

Nothing to get bent out of shape about, if a card should or should not be included in a master set. I think all cards should be included in a Master set in order to keep the competition fair if that is a person's motivation.

I think a Player Jersey-only Set would be pretty cool to collect. Since jersey-only cards are novel, but not neccessarily rare, it would be a neat looking set that many collectors could pursue and complete. Exclude mixed jersey, auto, and/or bat cards in order to keep out the #/5s. There are probably between 50-100 of those for Pujols. Oh yea, no multi-player jersey cards either in the set, I don't want Derek Lee contaminating my Pujols Collection!
    the only problem of using player sets (master, basic etc) as a checklist is that they are more than likely far from complete checklists. psa only lists cards that have been either graded by psa before the set was put up or cards that have been graded and requested for inclusion to the set. there are many cards that may have been graded after the set went live, but if they are requested they are not added to any player set.

you would be better off in that case using becketts website to make your own checklist.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's