Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

If the world ends in 2012 can I have everyone's cards?

I'm watching the Nostradamus effect about the end of the world on the History channel and I'm gonna start building 2 fallout shelters in my backyard. I live in a subdivision on the side of a mountain so it should be pretty easy to tunnel into the mountain and create a pretty safe shelter. I'm going to build one for me and my family and one for all of my vintage cards. Anyone else got any plans for their collections between now and then? image

Edit: history channel, not discovery channel

Comments

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Funny, I just got done watching the same thing. Mostly because there was nothing else on.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Funny, I just got done watching the same thing. Mostly because there was nothing else on. >>

yeah, I find all of this stuff pretty interesting. I also want to see the movie because I've always like disaster movies (Armageddon, Deep Impact, The Core, The Day After Tomorrow, etc...). You're right though, not much on until 10 when Real World/Road Rules Challenge comes on. image
  • Options
    Everyone keep your cards. They will be the only currency when armageddon begins. image
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    Duane Thomas would like to know if there is going to be another Ultimate End Of The World Event after the Ultimate End Of The World Event.
  • Options

<< <i>Everyone keep your cards. They will be the only currency when armageddon begins. image >>

If '89 Upper Deck gets chosen as the accepted currency then I'll be the Bill Gates of the underworld.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

<< <i>.......I'm gonna start building 2 fallout shelters in my backyard. I live in a subdivision on the side of a mountain so it should be pretty easy to tunnel into the mountain and create a pretty safe shelter.....image >>

////////////////////////////

The google ads at the top of this page are so smart. They read the
    posts and fit the ads to posted words.

U.S. Storm Shelters, LLC
    Shelters starting as low as $2,595 NSSA Member / FEMA Compliant
    www.usstormshelters.com

Blast Door and Hatch
    Concrete filled NBC blast doors certified for 50 PSI detonations
    www.AmericanBombShelter.com

NBC Blast Door and Hatch
    Concrete filled NBC blast doors certified for 50 PSI detonations
    www.AmericanBombShelter.com

Shelter From The Storm
    Hurricane/Tornado Shelters FEMA 320 Above Ground Precast Concrete Sheds
    www.safesheds.com

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    lol, that is pretty funny. I've noticed that before. Very crafty, those add folks. They just got me for $4499!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Everyone keep your cards. They will be the only currency when armageddon begins. image >>

If '89 Upper Deck gets chosen as the accepted currency then I'll be the Bill Gates of the underworld. >>

1987 Topps baseball for me. As the old saying goes, "they might be worth somethin' someday."
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    I've been watching Rambo on AMC. Are there any google ads for a minigun?
  • Options
    And I am supposed tp retire in 2013. That is my normal retirement date according to the Social Security statements I receive in the mail.

D*mn Nostradamus and the Mayans.

Ron

Edited to change Incas to Mayans. I didn't want ya'll to know I didn't have any book learning.

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    If the world ends there won't be any people nor cards nor anything else. image And frankly, I'm not so sure I buy into all this world's coming to an end in 2012 stuff. I mean, how many times have people cried wolf about the world coming to an end?
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    A guy I work with tried to convince me that the earth will start to rotate in the opposite direction, and I told him that's impossible, because the earth is flat! See, you have to fight stupidity WITH stupidity! image
  • Options
    The mild fear is good for the ecomomy! Remember Y2K? Actually , from what I understand, the mayan calandar ending in 2012 is no more significant than my calendar ending in 2009. It wasn't like they didn't expect anything afterwards. But no one asks the surviving modern-day Mayans, we just run with it. Go ahead and let everyone buy all the things they want/need. It's good for the economy. I'm all for it, as long as it's not more government spending. Unless we all get pre-doomsday bailouts
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    Are there any surviving Mayans?
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭

<< <i>Are there any surviving Mayans? >>

They're on the pre-war board.
  • Options
    yes, you can have my cards and my used band-aid collection.
  • Options
    I am building a shelter out of PSA 6 1987 topps, the slabs will protect me from the fallout
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>yeah, I find all of this stuff pretty interesting. I also want to see the movie because I've always like disaster movies (Armageddon, Deep Impact, The Core, The Day After Tomorrow, etc...). You're right though, not much on until 10 when Real World/Road Rules Challenge comes on. >>

Alright dude, now you're starting to freak me out because the challenge is exactly what I watched afterwards! Tell me you watched some Family Guy last night and you may be my long lost twin brother. image
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to be safe, I will be touring the Luray Caverns when the S%^$ goes down in 2012. Figure I can live off of cave shrimp for a few years and then re-emerge stronger than ever.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options

<< <i>Just to be safe, I will be touring the Luray Caverns when the S%^$ goes down in 2012. Figure I can live off of cave shrimp for a few years and then re-emerge stronger than ever. >>

Good ole VA, I think I've been there.
  • Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am building a shelter out of PSA 6 1987 topps, the slabs will protect me from the fallout >>

Should build it out of BGS slabbed '87 Topps... much sturdier image
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    I don't know why we westerners are so into apocalypse(es)? End of the world stuff. Granted after a few billion years (or a few thousand, depending on your belief system) maybe Mutha Earth is getting tired and all but I'll lay money that I'll see my 52nd birthday, which comes a few days after the coming "end of the world."

The Mayan Calendar "Long Count" called the 13th 'baktun' or something like that ends on December 20, 2012. That's it.

December 21, 2012 marks DAY ONE of the 14th baktun, starting another 144,000 day cycle.

I think I'll plan on sleeping in that day while the world burns.
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't know why we westerners are so into apocalypse(es)? End of the world stuff. Granted after a few billion years (or a few thousand, depending on your belief system) maybe Mutha Earth is getting tired and all but I'll lay money that I'll see my 52nd birthday, which comes a few days after the coming "end of the world."

The Mayan Calendar "Long Count" called the 13th 'baktun' or something like that ends on December 20, 2012. That's it.

December 21, 2012 marks DAY ONE of the 14th baktun, starting another 144,000 day cycle.

I think I'll plan on sleeping in that day while the world burns. >>

Maybe the next cycle will mean the world will start turning clockwise. NO, you can't have my cards...
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Tommy you can't have my cards but you can have all my pay stubs so you can get a nice clean wipe. image

• Options
    hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭
    Will you trade me your cards for the bag of canned goods my wife has put aside for the local food drive???
    Hook'em
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Just make room for me & the ultra hot Mrs Burgundy. You can have the cards but not her.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Are there any surviving Mayans? >>

They're on the pre-war board. >>

And when they say pre-war, they mean the Hundred Years' War.