Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Does anyone here sell on sportslots?

I was thinking about selling on sportslots.com and wanted to know if anyone here sells there and how it has worked out. The fees seem pretty high unless you sell a higher dollar amount per month. Example, 75% on sales under $5.00 and 50% on sales up to $25.00. I am thinking about buying some cards there but I also wanted to find out how it is to be a seller.
thanks,
Bob

ebay seller name milbroco
email bcmiller7@comcast.net

Comments

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't sell on there, but I buy all the time. I absolutely love this site when I am trying to find cards to finish sets or team sets.

Shane

• Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    The percentages they take out do seem high, but with an 18 cent minimum, even on commons, you could still get 4.5 cents a card plus 100% of your shipping costs. That doesn't seem like enough to make it worth your time unless you generate a lot of sales, but I guess it beats throwing all those commons in the fireplace.
  • Options
    I have been selling commons there... It is a one time setup for loading cards, but after that you don't have to worry about monthly fees, etc.. You get an e-mail when someone orders cards that you need to fill.. Fees are steep, but these are cards which I don't want to sell on Ebay (fees), and I don't care how long it take to sell... Works good for me..

Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    What kinds of cards do you find that people buy from you on Sportslots? Is it mostly oddball/regional stuff or do people actually buy things like 1983 Topps commons?
  • Options

<< <i>What kinds of cards do you find that people buy from you on Sportslots? Is it mostly oddball/regional stuff or do people actually buy things like 1983 Topps commons? >>

I was going to ask the same thing...
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I haven't sold on the site but like others have bought when I need singles to complete sets. haven't had any problems at all.
  • Options
    I know people use sportlots for the set needs, player needs, team needs, and ttm needs.

• Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    It was good when it started but he is forcing everyone to sell higher $ cards now. Not worth the hassle when he makes 50% and I have to pay the PayPal, shipping supplies, time pulling cards and then I get to pay for postage. The percentage goes down with higher $ cards. It's great for picking up cards.
  • Options

<< <i>What kinds of cards do you find that people buy from you on Sportslots? Is it mostly oddball/regional stuff or do people actually buy things like 1983 Topps commons? >>

I have sold stuff from 1970's and 1980's, and 2000's for both Football and Baseball (I haven't listed anything in the 1990's yet, still going though the boxes... I even sell 1986 Topps commons on there.. I only have about 16,000 cards listed with very little stars (I am putting them on as I have time)

Most of the group rips here end up on there as the cards.

I don't do any auction on there, just straight buys..

Fees are steep, but like I said, I just want to get rid of some of these..
    Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Selling stuff on Sportslots is hit or miss. I have only sold on there for about 3 months, but have sold roughly $40 in commons that I would have gotten ZERO for anywhere else, plus I have sold a few modern star cards/lots via auctions that I have gotten almost full book for. The best things to sell are things like the Topps insert sets and the new UpperDeck Anniversary inserts and things like that. You can almost get half/full book for those as well if you are willing to be patient.

Think of it as selling stuff you cant sell anywhere else. Do not waste time putting up 1988 Donruss commons. Newer sets' commons from premium sets sell well. I have sold 20+ Upper Deck X commons in the past week. If you try the auctions, sell lower value stuff or stuff that will only sell for 99 cents on ebay. With only a 15 cent listing fee and paypal's cut, you will keep more of your money instead of the charge after charge and fee after fee you get from ebay. The best thing is, you can load the stuff and they will notify you when you have sold something and it stay on the site forever (Theoretically) with NO LISTING FEE ( For inventory, not auctions)

No, you wont get rich, but it will pay for group break money.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    I've sold on there since 2000 or sometime around there. I know it's been awhile.

No auctions, just post and wait. Usually a little higher than ebay prices on cards I like more. Never had any steady sales and my main sales were from people like Burbank grabbing RC's to flip.

It's been awhile since I sold something. Example, 75% on sales under $5.00 and 50% on sales up to $25.00 That's not accurate, right?

Fees
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Yes, it is accurate, but since there is no listing fee, you are about the same as ebay. For example. you sell a 99 cent card on ebay. You paid 30 cents to list it, another 7 cents once you sell it and another 4 cents or so to paypal. So in the end you are paying roughly 40% on low end cards, which is mainly what this site is for in most cases.

The biggest difference is there is NO listing fee, unlike what you would have to pay on ebay every week, or month if in a store.

The added time of exposure and no money up front makes up more than enough, even for the small time seller, IMO
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Hey thanks everyone for the replies. I think I will set up an account when I get more organized for my common singles. I know it would not be very smart to list 1988 donruss singles but what about 1983 Fleer, 1982,83 and 84 Topps? I have several thousand of each year sitting in monster boxes doing nothing. Do you think they would sell or would I be wasting my efforts on those.
    Thanks again,
    Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options

<< <i>Hey thanks everyone for the replies. I think I will set up an account when I get more organized for my common singles. I know it would not be very smart to list 1988 donruss singles but what about 1983 Fleer, 1982,83 and 84 Topps? I have several thousand of each year sitting in monster boxes doing nothing. Do you think they would sell or would I be wasting my efforts on those.
    Thanks again,
    Bob >>

You maybe lucky if you sold an eBay for $0.99 plus $20.00 shipping.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Hey thanks everyone for the replies. I think I will set up an account when I get more organized for my common singles. I know it would not be very smart to list 1988 donruss singles but what about 1983 Fleer, 1982,83 and 84 Topps? I have several thousand of each year sitting in monster boxes doing nothing. Do you think they would sell or would I be wasting my efforts on those.
    Thanks again,
    Bob >>

It depends on your expectations, and the return you demand for your time. Look at the the listings for sets like 1984 topps-- there are over 100 of any given card available for most of the cards in that set (and others like it). If you do sell a 1984T card, you will gross $.18. Is eighteen cents worth it to you? Someone in this thread mentioned that they've sold $40 in commons in the past three months, or roughly $13 gross per month. After 50% fees, that's $6. Are you willing to run to the post office a couple times a week for $6 a month?

The answer is different for everyone, so I'm not saying it's a good idea or a bad one. I'm just suggesting that you carefully look at what the ceiling is for this endeavor, because my feeling is that it's very, very low.
  • Options

<< <i>I've sold on there since 2000 or sometime around there. I know it's been awhile.

No auctions, just post and wait. Usually a little higher than ebay prices on cards I like more. Never had any steady sales and my main sales were from people like Burbank grabbing RC's to flip.

It's been awhile since I sold something. Example, 75% on sales under $5.00 and 50% on sales up to $25.00 That's not accurate, right?

Fees >>

that link is for naxcom, they now go by sportsbuy.com
    Looking for in PSA graded
    1. 75-76 Topps Keith/Jamaal Wilkes in Psa 8+
    2. 1971-72 Trio stickers PSA 8+
    3. BSKB 1977-78 topps psa 10

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Action Packed HOF Autos(need elvin hayes,both bill bradley,and the 1st bill walton)
    2001 and 2005 Greats of the Game
    UD=retro,epic,legends,legendary,generations and chronology
    2006 Topps Style 1952 Fan Favorites Autos #/10 (Refractor Autos)
    Press Pass Legends
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I've sold on there since 2000 or sometime around there. I know it's been awhile.

Fees >>

that link is for naxcom, they now go by sportsbuy.com >>

??.. It's from the Sportsbuy site.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    [qSomeone in this thread mentioned that they've sold $40 in commons in the past three months, or roughly $13 gross per month. After 50% fees, that's $6. Are you willing to run to the post office a couple times a week for $6 a month?. >>

Maybe I am missing something, but $40 in commons at the 50% range is $20 gross for cards that I would never sell any other way. Plus based on the way shipping is handled, since it isnt ebay and the postage whiny babies arent on there, I actually net about 50 cents per transaction for that. $20 after fees + another couple of bucks is not bad considering, I spent less than an hour listing what I have up there. If someone actually put a lot of effort in it, $50 a month in commons isnt out of the question.

No its not a lot, but if youre selling other things either on ebay or other ways and youre going to the PO anyway, why not?
  • Options
    AricAric Posts: 757 ✭✭
    I am thinking of using my downtime over the holidays to put some stuff on sportslots. Any one else have any input on the subject? Did you guys have any problems making your first sells since you did not have any feedback? I was thinking of having a significant discount for volume, is there a cap on the percentage off that I can set up?
  • Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    If you have the same stuff as everyone else it's hard to sell. Check the sets that you are going to sell at Sportlots. Look to see how many others are selling the same stuff.
  • Options
    I've used it for both and I feel that commons from very modern sets sell well. I don't think people are on there looking for 1990 topps commons. I've bought some reprints, odd ball stuff, etc. I've sold some inserts and what not. I figured it's more than what I'm going to get if I took it anywhere else. I haven't sold a card on there though for about 3 months, nor have I needed to buy something. I like it if you have some advanced notice and are going to an event to get IP autos. If you buy from the same seller, the shipping costs can be rather affordable.
  • Options

<< <i>I am thinking of using my downtime over the holidays to put some stuff on sportslots. Any one else have any input on the subject? Did you guys have any problems making your first sells since you did not have any feedback? I was thinking of having a significant discount for volume, is there a cap on the percentage off that I can set up? >>

As long as you are priced fairly, the first sales will come quickly. I ended up selling $28.00 in cards in my first three weeks and continue to sell cards roughly every few days. All on cards that have no business going on Ebay. Can't complain and it beats tossing the cards or burning them
  • Options
    sold for 4 months,not to bad,mostly commons,people finishing sets,etc.don't try selling new stuff,won't sell. i sell mostly 70 & 73 baseball.hockey not too bad 70's.football and basketball almost non existant.great place to pick up cards,most guys cut-throat with prices.pick up real bargins.
  • Options
    1000.00 in sales for 4 months with dec. not finished.by the way , do not over grade,honest mistakes ok. you will get a lot of repeat business.