Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1963 Fleer FB question for you experts

I have seen an ebay auction advertising the "no stripe" version.
I was not aware there is variations. The card flip doesn't say variation.

I looked at several pics and still can't see a diff. Whats up?

And if there is a diff...what is the scarcer and do they get premium prices?
Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
1948-76 Topps FB Sets
FB & BB HOF Player sets
1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

Comments

• Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Jay,

I don't have a 1963 Fleer card in front of me, however I believe there is normally a stripe at the top on the back side of the card.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    Jay --

There are certain cards #'s (I think it might be even numbered cards) that have the no stripe variation. It is definitely not all cards in the set.

If you look at the back of a card - normally there is a red stripe at the bottom of the card. The variation does not have a red stripe and because of the scarcity would supposedly have a higher value.

Having not followed this set closely, I do not have the empirical evidence to support how much higher the valuation is for the no stripe version.

MAD
    Have shine box will travel
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!
    ------------
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    You need Wolfbear and Nearmint to chime in on this thread. They know all about the '63 fleer red stripe differences and could explain it much better than anyone else.
  • Options

<< <i>Jay --

, I do not have the empirical evidence to support how much higher the valuation is for the no stripe version.

MAD >>

LOL, Mark said empirical... image , he's so smart

I would ask Nearmint Mike, or Wolfbear. Two guys who are all things fleer in this world
  • Options
    Cards divisible by four were printed with and without the red stripe at the bottom (such as the Alworth rookie card). Based on my own experience, I believe the "no stripe" variation is scarcer though I've never noticed a price premium.

I hope this helps,

Rick
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you guys.
    I knew ya all would know.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    The real question, Jay, is why are you posting questions on here at 4 AM? image
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    andy

I plead insanity
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭

Check out the last paragraph of this page. (The rest of the page is fascinating, too!)

Edited to add scan.
  • Options
    Very nice comparison. Never noticed.
    Forgot what a great web site that is. All kinds of info on FB cards.
    thanks again.
    I did manage to win the card in question on ebay. Missed on some others.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

nearmint Mike's site rules!

In case you hadn't noticed,
    football card collectors are much brighter, in general, than their baseball card collector counterparts ... image
    Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options

<< <i>Cards divisible by four were printed with and without the red stripe at the bottom (such as the Alworth rookie card). Based on my own experience, I believe the "no stripe" variation is scarcer though I've never noticed a price premium.

I hope this helps,

Rick >>

+1 for a Mint state sighting, right on. 6 posts in 5 years. Hey Rick, your daily average post count is 0, I looked image

Mike T, your site constantly amazes me man. The amount of time it must take to compile a mock up of an uncut sheet is amazing. Great work, despite all of Pauls input. Still waiting to be able to look players up by their star sign and religion so I can start that Jewish Pisces registry set
  • Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, guys. Actually, putting that page together wasn't too bad. I already had all the scans, I just had to rearrange them and add a few words.

Joe, I'll have your searches for religion and astrological sign done soon, right after I add the ones for shoe size and favorite movies. (Did you know Charlie Ane wore a size 13 and was a huge fan of Gigi?)

I put together a little tour page that lists the other doodads on the site. Here's a link.
  • Options

<< <i> >>

LOL, Mark said empirical... image , he's so smart

I would ask Nearmint Mike, or Wolfbear. Two guys who are all things fleer in this world >>

Joe -

I don't know how smart I am but I wouldn't spell your name wrong.

Marc
    Have shine box will travel
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!
    ------------